Review of the HiFi RT-6P13P tube powered headphone amplifier

Review Equipment Used:
Amp: HiFi RT-6P13P
Tubes used: Stock Shuguang 6P13P's and 6J8P's
Source: Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1/Creative Zen Vision M using line out
Headphones: Sony MDR V6's
Software Used: Winamp v.2.91 without any external sound altering programs

Foreword:
I've had this amp for about 2 years but I've never had a chance to review it properly. The components in the amp have been burned for this amount of time but the tubes are new with about 8 hours of listening time on them. Also all sound comparisons are against the same cans running into my dual 2227 powered Zero Audiocraft HPA-1 running at 12 volts. Also note that this amp sells under different names besides HiFi such as Relyon and others.

First Impressions/Out Of The Box

I bought this off of the dealer richtonaudio off of eBay for the sum of about $240 which consisted of $60 for the item and the rest in shipping(most Chinese dealers do this to avoid eBay fees). The dealer was very prompt in communicating with me and although he spoke limited English he was very polite,quick to answer questions and shipped quickly. He provided me with a tracking number and in about a week's time I received the amp. Included in the package was the amp which was packed in the box by being housed inside its own molded styrofoam enclosure which it held it in place. It came with the tubes preinstalled which slightly bothered me but on inspection they seemed to have survived the ride well. On the side of the dealer I would not hesitate to do business with him again.

The plug included with the amp was I believe for the Chinese market as the prong configuration was not correct for the standard US outlet. This wasn't a problem as I have many power plugs lying around so I was able to substitute easily. The amp itself is well made with a sturdy black metal chassis complete with carry handles to make hauling about a bit easier. Its about 8lbs or so tubes and all and it feels significant. Everything on it feels quality from the volume and source selection knobs to the switches used to turn the unit on and select the speaker output impedance. The volume tracks well channel wise with no unevenness in volume throughout the travel of the pot. Everything just feels solid and well put together. After 2 years of use everything is holding up great,the amp feels brand new and looks it as well.

dsc03636qd2.jpg

Under The Hood

I was surprised when popping the bottom cover off of this amp to find most of it to be handwired. Very little of the circuit was built using a PCB which really surprised me considering the price point of this amp. It seems that later versions of my amp have switched to nearly all PCB construction but this older version seems to have been built different. All of the solder points seem to be very neat and the general build seems to be done using thin steel rods which serve as connection bases. Everything looks very neat and well done. Most of the components don't have labels on them but I did see Rifa caps in there which is a good sign. Overall a job well done in here.

Here are the official specifications of the amp:

*Tube: 6P13P X 2 , 6J8P X 2
*Output Impedance : 4 ohm and 8 ohm
*Output Power :2x12 W (Class A)
*Earphone output impedance 300-600ohm
*Frequency Response:5HZ-200KHZ
*T.H.D. < 0.2% 20Hz - 20KHz
*Length 160mmx Height 170mmx Depth 320mm *Weight: 8kg
*Power: Select 110V or 220V (50Hz -60Hz)

First Impressions/Power Up

After throwing on the switch in the right hand corner of the amp I was greeted with a relatively bright blue LED at the front of the amp. It doesn't blind my eyes so I have no problem with it. In a short amount of times the tubes were heated up sufficiently enough to use and so I plugged in my headphones to the front and....whoops,nothing! The front headphone jack doesn't work on this one! No big deal though because the topside headphone jack does and some day I'll get around to fixing the front one. Now next to both jacks says "Phones 300-600ohms" but I can safely say that I'm using my 63 ohm MDR V6's without any problem and with most songs I can't turn it up past 12 o'clock without chickening out due to the volume.

First Listening Impressions

I remember after putting the new tubes in this amp and listening to it for the first three hours I kept thinking "I always remembered this amp having more bass and less shrillness in the highs,oh well lets let the tubes burn in some more". It was true,for the first few hours the amp felt a bit hard and unyielding and not very tube like but I decided to give it a change and break itself in. Sure enough after about 8 hours it began to chill out,smooth out,open out and the bass started waking up. So far I have about 10 hours on the tubes now so the following findings could change as the amp shifts about and settles in. Also there is pretty much no hiss on this amp at all. The only time I'll hear hiss is when I'm playing nothing and I'll turn the volume up to a volume where if something was playing my ears would be in flames. I also hear no hums to speak of.

How does it like my MDR V6's?

Well to tell you the truth it does a lot of good for the MDR's. These cans are very analytical and will give you pretty much what the recording *should* sound like and so if your MP3 encode is garbage you're going to hear about it. It has very crisp highs that sometimes almost border on a bit too crisp but if theres a detail there its going to pull it out for sure. This amp helps cool off the highs just a little,the detail is still there but it always helps the cans stray away from being sibilant and harsh. It really makes the highs sound great and lends a bit of warmth to them but it doesn't blunt them at all. The mids on the Sony are pretty flat though curves say there is a mid dip around 200hz and I've tried compensating with this through EQ'ing but it always ends up making it sound chalky and scratchy so I just run a flat EQ with maybe a slight bump in the bass to compensate for the amp burning in. Either way this amp really helps the mids come out and shine. Guitars and drums really stand on their own now,it seems as each instrument has their own little space that they occupy and so the separation is great. The bass on the MDR's has always been fair and tight but never boomy. They can be made to boom if you want to throw on your techno and be a basshead for a little while,they'll play well at that game but when you're running flat the bass is always there,never overbearing but just about right. This amp really helps make the bass just a bit stronger and a bit sweeter and warmer. It sounds more natural and true.

dsc03635xq5.jpg

Current Situation: After 10 hours of burn in

Well overall I'll say that this amp has a "tube" sound but it doesn't pour it on too thickly. Its not overly bulbous or warm and fuzzy sounding. You're not going to lose any detail in any of your recordings by listening to them through this. What it does do well it take some of the edge off of cans that have a sharp treble edge to them. It helps calm them down and keep them from hurting your ears. What this amp does really have a lot of is soundstage and headroom. Whereas with my Zero Audiocraft all of the instruments sort of sound crammed into a space where the guitar might seem to overlap on each other whereas with this each instrument seems to have its own little space it inhabits. The soundstage has a lot of air and width to it,each recording seems to just breathe a lot better with this amplifier thanks to its power and headroom. This amp will power small bookshelf speakers with absolutely no problem and doesn't distort really,it just runs out of travel on the volume pot. Even on top crack though it gets most speakers more than loud enough to fill a room without any problem at all. I really have no doubt that this amp would have no problem powering headphones up to 600ohm.

So how about some individual track tests,right? Okay,here we go!

Wire - Dot Dash

A classic from one of Britain's punk innovators,you can hear the clock like tick of the high hat in the beginning of this song very easily. The guitar is well separated and has great detail to it. I really like the way the vocals jump to the front with this song. It really fills up the middle of the soundstage well. The bass is in the right hand side of the middle of the mix and its always there,very defined and you can hear it.

Obituary - Body Bag

Awwww yeah some classic death metal! The album this track came off of was mixed a lot better than most death metals of that era but even so it wasn't perfect. The guitar often sounds a bit distant but with this amp it does its damn best to help it and does a pretty good job,the guitar sounds a bit dispersed but thats more of the recording's fault than anything. The one thing I really hear clearly is the kick drum pedal,its right there in your face and your can definitely hear the double bass blasts when they do happen. The vocals are awesome,though,it sounds like Tardy is standing right and front of you and growling,its pretty damn awesome. The snare also really comes out well in this mix,you can hear it slightly right of center and its extremely well defined.

Vader - Amongst The Ruins

And how does this amp deal with modern death metal? Its damn intense. The guitars are really well defined in this one,you can easily separate the two tracks and they sound crisp and defined. The blast beats are easily heard in this track with the kick drum sounding solid but not boomy and overbearing. The vocals are more balanced in this song but it sits really well with this song. The entire feel of this song through this amp is more like an orchestra,everything is situated at roughly the same level and it just sounds very even handed and true. I catch myself constantly replaying the breakdown at 2:10 because its just damn brutal. Listening to the rhythm guitar hit the breakdown there sounds like someone chucking a refrigerator strapped with cinder blocks down a flight of stairs.

Gabriel Yared & Stephane Moucha - Soundtrack to Das Leben Der Anden - HGW XX/7

So,how does this amp do with classical? Really well,you can hear the individual performers shuffle their feed,adjust their music stand or flip through their notes. The noise floor is excellent. The strings really sound clean and flowing but never harsh at all. When the lower toned strings come in to the crescendo starting 2:05 it really takes off and the entire soundstage just gets bigger and bigger. Its never overwhelming,its just very sweet. You can hear each strike of the harp string very clearly and you can even make out the "snap" surrounding the string strike. The piano notes bloom as they're struck,its really something special. Even when the passages get dense this amp doesn't quit at all,you never feel it give up under the weight of a dense passage. This once again reinforces this amp's great headroom and power.

Jamiroquai - When You Gonna Learn(Jay Kay Mix)

Okay onto some good old Acid Jazz. This mix I've always noted has Jay Kay's vocals waaaaaaaaaay up to the front to an almost annoying degree sometimes. This amp does a remarkable job toning the harshness of the sheer forwardness of his vocals down. This entire track sounds like one big party and the amp really helps convey that. The piano is right there in the mix and its very crisp and clear,even when the sax,the bass,the flute and Jay Kay join in you never lose that piano in the mix. Brass instruments are handled extremely well and you never feel that the sax is too harsh or too shrill at all. Everything just grooves really well listening to this track. The bass is also well represented here,it isn't overbearing or booming. It just sits right in the mix and helps anchor the song extremely well. The didgeridoo at the beginning of this song sounds very rich and full,each little accent to the playing is well represented.

Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street

A classic early 70's soul cut. In the beginning you can hear a great separation between the drummer lightly playing off of the various cymbals. One thing I note about this song being played through this amp versus my Audiocraft is that the high hat is much more present in the mix and you can really hear the slightly variations to the rhythm that the drummer is applying to the song. Bobby's voice is very smooth and soulful as the strings surround him in the mix. You can hear the slight grain in his voice and really lends some extra detail to the song. Simply marvelous.

Bad Balance & Mihey - Tiho Taiut Dni

One of the prettiest hip hop tracks I've heard in a long time. A classic by Russian hip hop group Bad Balance with the emphasis on one of their rappers(who has a really good voice),Mihey. It sounds as if Mihey is sitting there right in front of you. The bongos are extremely sharp and clear and have a lot more definition and "hit" than with my Audiocraft. The bass is clear and present but,once again,never overbearing. The best part is the flute tracks as they sit in the back of the mix as they were originally intended by they lend a beautiful air over the entire track.

Vova ZIL'Vova - Mi Rayon

Some really good Ukrainian hip hop by an up and coming artist,Vova ZIL'Vova. This song has some really pretty horn samples in and I was able to hear some horn work I wasn't able to hear before which was a welcome surprise. The horn seems to move about the soundstage a lot more than before. I can hear some record crackle that I never ever heard before,this amp really brings out the details. Vova's voice is right out front and very smooth and pleasant to listen to. Its really detailed though,like you're almost in the studio and listening to him lay down the track. The amp really helps bring a great slam to the kick drum in this song but its very tight and it stays in the mix only as long as it should.

Swervedriver - Sunset

A classic off of their 1991 release Raise,I noticed that when I first started listening to this song through this amp right as the tubes had started to break it that it sounded a little tight and constricted. Well after about 10 hours this amp is already starting to shine brightly. Vocals glide in and out seamless and the guitars are panned nicely to each side. The soundstage has widened out quite a bit and has really helped lend that shoegazer air that this song very much represents. The drums never get lost in that sea of guitar noise,though. Even when the sound does go full on shoegazer haze nothing ever gets lost in the mix and everything says nice and controlled as it should.

Tube Rolling Options

I have yet to tube roll with this amp but I will tell you this for potential buyers so far it has been confirmed that any type of 6J8P or American 6SJ7 WILL work with this amp. In addition you may either use the Chinese 6P13P or the Russian 6P13S with this amp. Replacing both tubes have been shown to give a noticeable improvement which makes me wonder exactly how good this amp will sound with some nice 70's Soviet era Reflector 6P13S's and late 80's Phillips JAN 6SJ7WGT's! A word of warning,however,is that the EL36 will NOT work to replace the 6P13P and there has been a report of damage caused due to this substitute(thank you Skylab for your helpful info!). Even so you still have plenty of tube rolling options ahead of you if you want to change the sonic signature of this amp.

dsc03638bp2.jpg

Temperature Readings

Note: All readings made with a Raytek Mini Temp temp gun.

These measurements were taken after the amp had been running for approximately 3 hours.

Preamp tubes: 115F
Power tubes: 290F
Transformer: 130F
Chassis: 100F

Wrap up and conclusion

After spending some time listening to this amp intently I can tell you its a very fair and even handed amp. It has a lot of headroom and refuses to buckle regardless of what I throw at it. It does an extremely good job at separating instruments and making sure that each instrument does not get lost in the clutter of a heavy mix. This really shows testament to its raw power which is also well shown in its ability to drive speakers with relative ease. This amp has that tube vibe to it but also keeps a great degree of detail with it so you're never really left wanting for crispness or resolution. This is a good solution for people with cans who have really crisp,clean and revealing highs that feel like such highs are hurting their ears too much as this amp will relax that nature a bit and help you out a bit. Overall for $200-$250 shipped this amp represents an excellent and surprising bargain in hi fi. Whether you are a beginner to tube amps or just looking for another unit for whatever cause I highly recommend the HiFi RT-6P13P.

dsc03642bd9.jpg

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 24
Great review! Interesting on the internals - slightly different from the one I had, and importantly, it appears the caps are uprated, which is nice since it was I who blew one of these up trying to use the EL36/6CM5 for the power tubes. It's a nice sounding little amp. I know that the one I blew the caps on was repaired by Nikongod and he thought it was a decent little amp too. When I had it I used some nice 6SJ7GT's for driver tubes and this improves the sound a LOT - the Chinese 6J8P's aren't awful, but they aren't great either.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for the kind words Skylab. I'm pretty excited to see what a difference changing out the driver and power tubes will make. I'll be sure to update this topic both once the amp burns in more and when I start tube rolling. The inside is surprisingly well made,the solder joints are well heated and the circuitry is very neat and well laid out.

I've PM'ed someone who posted some while back saying they would try the EL360's I believe it was and would report back. He never did so I'm going to see what he found.

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 24
Which ebay seller did you use to purchase the amp? I did a search based on the model number and didn't turn anything up. Looking at buying a tube amp here directly and while I was considering a DV, they seem to still be out of stock of 110v stuff, and this amp also seems to be a decent bit less expensive - a good thing for me, as it'll be my first tube amp.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 24
So I've finally had a chance to swap in some 1976 Soviet Reflector 6P13S's into the amp and they make the amp sound much better.

I noticed that when I pulled out the old Shuguangs that one tube was slightly larger than the other and I then noticed the stamping number on each tube was different as well as the logo having a different design so I imagine one tube was a revision whereas the other was an earlier version. The only difference this had was that the shorter tube ran about 30F hotter than the other due to its smaller surface area.

The Soviet Reflectors help extend the lower end of the bass spectrum and help make more bass heavy pieces a bit more authoritative without losing any of the tightness that I like in the amp.

The sound stage has widened quite a bit and there is a bit more air and space in the sound stage which help separate the instruments even better than before. The mids are a bit more cutting and present now but they're not really overwhelming. Guitars sound more present and lively with these new tubes. The treble is a bit more clear and detailed but these tubes have also taken away some of the harsh treble edge that sometimes manifests itself in especially treble biased pieces.

Overall a very worthy investment considering you can purchase these tubes for about $28 shipped for a set of 4.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 24
So I managed to finally get some late 80's production JAN Phillips 6SJ7WGT's from eBay and have spent some time with them burning with them in. Regardless of the sound they're really nicely made tubes with much more rugged looking construction befitting of the JAN designation. The sound signature itself is really pleasant, I believe the final veil has been lifted from this amp. The sound is a lot more clear and present overall.

I do think that there is even more air in the sound stage but the overall definition of the instruments and various sounds have definitely improved so the actual background noise level is a lot more "black" than before. The final edge of sharp treble that would occasionally creep in depending on the recording has seemingly been chilled out,the treble is still really accurate but there just aren't times where it kills you anymore with sharp edges.

The bass is smoother with a bit more extension but its well balanced and well weighted. The good thing is that the midrange has much improved and especially in busy passages in various metal songs where there is a lot going on the guitar seems to keep itself separate from all the rest of the beautiful sturm and drang thats going on.

Overall I believe that for about $30 this is a very good investment that is just another step towards improving my audio setup.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 24
Nice! Those really are nice tubes.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 24
Its a great looking amp as well as a great sounding one. I'm surprised so few people have heard of these amps much less owned one. I'll be sure to update as I burn in the tubes more.

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 24
I got the big brother version of this amp a year and a half ago. It uses kt88 tubes instead of the 6p13ps. Other than that it looks exactly the same. It's the biggest value I ever encountered. It's the best headamp I've ever owned and I've owned a few. It's rated at 15 wattsx2. It actually pushes my psb T65s to decent levels, but I primarily use it for a head amp. It's the best 250 I ever spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back