Review: Head-Direct RE1 IEM
May 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 27
Update: I will do a comparison with the Yuin OK1/PK1 when I get them.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 27
It's good to see that there's someone who can act as spokesman for everyone.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #19 of 27
It simply, seems to be the beginning of new era on head-fi - dynamic IEMs become more respected than balanced armatures. As for me I felt it immediately with my ER4P that they just doesn't sound right, may be good, but not right. And as you, I feel that this is a general property of armature drivers, thats why I have already ordered OK1. And since OK1 and PK1 are top dynamic IEMs - I'm sure that many people are waiting for this review...
smily_headphones1.gif

I looks even more interesting when big guys like Sennheiser, who finally decided to penetrate to this market also seem to not like balanced armature technology.

P.S. It would be really nice to compare OK1 and RE1 also

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #22 of 27
Hello. do you guys find an increase in sound-stage by moving the second bar of a five band equalizer down by 2-3 levels?

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

RE1 vs ER4P
The RE1 are different from Etymotic. They have fat bass, reasonably deep. Fuller sounding vocals, more delicate/forgiving upper midrange, less exciting treble, big soundstage and good details. I could say that the RE1 with Etymotic treble estention (but not the same harshness) could be the best IEM in the world. Or that the ER4P without the crazy upper midrange boost, and with more bass volume could be the best IEM in the world.

Tony

Hi tony, with this in mind, what do you suggest I should get, RE1 or the newer RE0 which you have also reviewed? I don't have a decent amp but I see that both ship with Fiio E3 as a free amp. Is it enough to power up any of these two? Does an unamped RE1 or RE0 sounds very good already? Have you heard the Nuforce ne-7m or ne-8? How does it compare with these? Let me know your thoughts since you are one of those few which I could rely on when it comes to IEMs. Thanks.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 27
Hey Jraz,

The Fiio is enough to reach a good volume with both earphones. They are not power monsters, in my opinion.
Among these two IEMs, I like the RE0 a lot better, but it all depends on the sound signature you are after. If you want bass and soundstage, the RE1 are better suited for you. If you want neutrality, detail and great, accurate treble, the RE0 are better.
Neither would be sibilant, if it is one of your concerns.

It's possible that the Fiio can boost both the midbass and the treble (sibilance region), even if I haven't heard the latter myself when I used this little amp. If this was the case, I don't think things would change much with the RE0, meaning that you won't get a big spike like many IEMs have. The RE0 might actually enjoy the bass boost.
The RE1 wouldn't like the added bass, while might have use for the added treble.

I haven't heard the Nuforce IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #25 of 27
tony, appreciate your precious opinion here. with that said, i am now leaning towards getting the RE1 as my source is quite laid-back with bass and nice soundstage is important to me. does this mean that RE1 is not good with mids and treble and details compared to RE0?or is it just emphasizing the bass and soundstage more than the other elements?the holes of my ears are quite narrow also.will RE1 fit into them?will i miss something from the RE0 if i favor RE1?the price difference now is just $20.are bass and soundstage in RE0 very inferior to that of RE1?
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #26 of 27
The bass of the RE0 loses against the RE1 in quantity, not quality. The RE0 has much better treble. The RE1 are semi open, and they gain from that as to soundstage.
I surely prefer the RE0, but if treble and details are not so important to you, you might want to pick the RE1.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #27 of 27
i haven't heard any headphones/earphones that has a nice treble without the sibilance and excessive peaks.if this has a nice treble and mids without sacrificing much on bass and soundstage, then I'd pick this. just a thought on your statement on your review of RE1 (if i remember it correctly), if RE1 has the treble spark and extension like that of ER4P then it could be the best IEM for you (maybe in general). Would that mean that if the RE0 with the RE1 bass and soundstage could be the best IEM too.
beerchug.gif
thanks tony!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back