REVIEW: HD-497s
Nov 14, 2004 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spitzfiya

Head-Fier
Settings:
Playback: Foobar (Using Zemo's guide) / Panisonic SL-CT710 PCDP
Sound Card: Onboard AC'97
Audio Drivers: Nvidia nForce2 Win2K/XP driver package Audio driver 3.06 (From my Motherboard CD)
Music Quality: 192kbps MP3s / CD Quality
Music: I wanted to try some "Power Tracks" , that had a lot of separation and control but still had punchy aggressive sound.

Pics:
HD-497.jpg

hf063401.jpg

0020080497front.JPG

Look:
Well when I first saw pics of the HD-497s I thought they looked like some cheap Headphones for TV listening. I wasn't to excited with the way they looked because they arn't agressive. When they finally arrived I took them out of their boring dull package and I noticed the silver paint, the cheap plastic, the flimsy Ear cups, and the small pattern of ugly holes on the side. After thoroughly inspecting them I was somewhat turned off, but I knew I shouldn't judge it now because I was told the drivers were the real "treat". They look durable and all the parts are replacable, So I trust that they will last a VERY long time. As a plus there is a 2 year warrenty on these which is excellent considering I paid a premium for them. Its a streetwear design so what more can you expect? right? It also should be noted that I'm a tad worried about going out in public with these...

Comfort:
So I put them on my head and spent some time adjusting the ear cups, it was a bit annoying trying to adjust them but once they were on they felt very secure and glued to my head. I knew they wouldn't be flying off when I decide to freak out to some music so all was good. After awhile I became aware of how light and invisible they felt, this was great because I didn't have to keep adjusting them in the middle of a game. Mind you because of the tight seal and pleather pads my ears were getting a little hot after a few intense rounds of UT2K4. After a few hours of use I noticed the back of my ears were acctually touching the inside of the headphones so that the insides were slightly scraping against my ears! Wearing them for long periods of time can make your outer ear rather sore so remember to take breaks if you have large ears. Overall they are easy to wear, and once they are on you don't need to worry about them going anywhere.

Sound:
So when I plugged them in and fired up Foobar the first thing i noticed was the minor lack of Bass, even tho it was full and tight It still felt like there just wasn't enough on the deep end. But! what made my eyes pop was the true clarity, energy, balence and somewhat relaxing feel of the Treble and Midrange! This clarity added extrodinary detail to my music, I was excited that I was hearing things I've never heard before! After a weeks worth of burn-in the Bass started to equalize to a point where it sounded more up front and punchy. I also noticed the Treble and Midrange started to sound even more detailed and powerfull. The sound of these headphones is laid back, they don't force you to listen, and No harshness at all! I haven't experienced any fatigue because they are so soothing to the ears! The HD-497s sound is natural and energetic which is the main reason i keep coming back to them any chace i get. I have complete trust that these headphones know exactly what their doing when it comes to reproducing music. Since I'm no where near finished burning them in I don't have much else to say other then they sound better every time i listen to them. Everything aside; The best audio I have ever heard has come from the HD-497s! =)

Overall:
Very nice headphones for someone who wants a good idea what the term "Audio Fidelity" means at a low cost. Excellent for ALL types of music and can be easily driven from a portable. I Special Ordered these baby's in from London Drugs (Amazing! i Know!) and received them in 5 days, very nice indeed. Anyway The HD-497s will rock your world and you will become a slave to their pleasantly inviting sound.

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 3
Nice review, sounds like you really liked them. May we interest you in some more headphones?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
Nice review, sounds like you really liked them. May we interest you in some more headphones?
evil_smiley.gif

poor guy... he's already being tempted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back