REVIEW: Grover Ultimate Reference Interconnects
Aug 3, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #46 of 184
Yeah, I think these guys hit the nail on the head as far as where the grovers should fall.

One alternative suggestion I might make is getting a good RCA spliter (should you elect to get a second pair of ICs) and send the CDP directly to both amps. Make sure to get a good one though as I could hear a depreciation with quality with the Radioshack ones I once used.

FYI I used some early Grover ICs with my 1501RC and they worked well together--come to think of it I even used a Gilmore V.2. back then on a tape loop (but with a crappy outlawl cable going to the headamp).

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #48 of 184
Seems to me splitting the signal might be even worse than routing the signal through a pre-amp?
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #49 of 184
I haven't encountered a splitter that doesn't degrade the signal. When I posted about my findings with a Radioshack RCA splitter I was led to believe those results were typical with that splitter and it was asserted that better splitters (I think Vampire was mentioned) don't display those symptoms. *shrug* I never explored it further--just an idea.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #50 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I haven't encountered a splitter that doesn't degrade the signal. When I posted about my findings with a Radioshack RCA splitter I was led to believe those results were typical with that splitter and it was asserted that better splitters (I think Vampire was mentioned) don't display those symptoms. *shrug* I never explored it further--just an idea.

Fair enough. Appreciate your input. Maybe sometime in the future I can buy an external DAC and circumvent the whole issue.

If I had the money right now to purchase a DAC1 and another pair of Grover ICs, I would be one happy audiocamper
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #51 of 184
i think the gs1 is a preamp as well

id run the cables from the onix to the gs1, use the gs1 as preamp and then run another set out of the gs1 to power amp, bypassing the integrated function if possible.

you could always sell the jolida integrated and buy a dedicated 2 chanel or monoblocks. im sure the gs1 is a better preamp.

Aug 6, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #52 of 184
Markl, et al --

Why has Grover not created an Ultimate Reference power cable?
I want to completely cable my future system with Grover UR...
But not having a power cord to pair with the IC is stopping me.

Does anybody know?

BANGPOD

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #53 of 184
Bangpod, I asked him the *exact* same thing. I would LOVE a Grover power cord! He told me he just doesn't have enough time to devote to designing and testing one, his current product line keeps him busy. We can dare to dream, though...

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #54 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
i think the gs1 is a preamp as well

id run the cables from the onix to the gs1, use the gs1 as preamp and then run another set out of the gs1 to power amp, bypassing the integrated function if possible.

you could always sell the jolida integrated and buy a dedicated 2 chanel or monoblocks. im sure the gs1 is a better preamp.

The Jolida does not have an input to bypass the preamp so that won't work. However, SACD Lover (via pm) offered a similar suggestion that fixed everything and gave me something that I thought would cost me a lot to do (e.g., running optical out to an external DAC to the headamp) without hurting the signal along the way like using a splitter or the tape out does.

He simply pointed out to my technically challenged-self "why don't you just run a connection from the loop out on the GS-1 to the Jolida." Or CD Player -> IC -> Headamp GS-1 -> IC -> Jolida 1501RC -> speakers. I thought, duuuuuuuh, yep, that seems logical, why didn't I think of that?
rolleyes.gif
Idiot. But even better, the loop out is passive so the GS-1 does not even have to be on for the connection to work between the GS-1 and the Jolida.
icon10.gif

This simple fix was just staring at me all along. I feel so stupid not realizing that this option was there. Oh well. Now I'm just waiting for my Grovers to get here so I can link the cd player to the GS-1. I thought they would have arrived yesterday but no go. I really hope they come today . . .

But lets hear it for SACD Lover for fixing my issue without costing me a freakin' dime!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #56 of 184
I have enjoyed Grover's UR-1's for several months now and have been extremely pleased with their performance in my systems. However, after reading this thread I decided I had to try the UR-2's so I shot Grover an email last week. Since we live in the same area so he stopped by Sat. to drop off the new IC's. We listened to them on both the SDS-T and the Maestro ZR. The IC's sounded incredible, especially on the SDS-T. They were a little bright on the Maestro, but he said to give them about 10 hrs of break in time and the brightness should settle down. BTW, the IC's he brought were not UR-2's, but were his new UR -3's!! Even he admitted that there was hardly any room left for improvement and after listening to them for several hours this weekend, I would have to agree. But you never know with Grover
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #57 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cableguy
I have enjoyed Grover's UR-1's for several months now and have been extremely pleased with their performance in my systems. However, after reading this thread I decided I had to try the UR-2's so I shot Grover an email last week. Since we live in the same area so he stopped by Sat. to drop off the new IC's. We listened to them on both the SDS-T and the Maestro ZR. The IC's sounded incredible, especially on the SDS-T. They were a little bright on the Maestro, but he said to give them about 10 hrs of break in time and the brightness should settle down. BTW, the IC's he brought were not UR-2's, but were his new UR -3's!! Even he admitted that there was hardly any room left for improvement and after listening to them for several hours this weekend, I would have to agree. But you never know with Grover
biggrin.gif

No No Nooooooooooooooo..........I haven't even been able to listen to my new UR2 yet because of equipment upgrades, Grover is on a roll
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #58 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cableguy
BTW, the IC's he brought were not UR-2's, but were his new UR -3's!!

Ya know, I just asked him a couple weeks ago whether there was something in development and he answered that change was at a much slower pace or in essense, no, at least thats how I took it.
frown.gif
I wonder what version were sent to me . . . I think an e-mail to Grover is in order . . .

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #59 of 184
I might be getting a review sample of the UR-3, but I would like to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with UR2 as far as I'm concerned, anyway. I'm actually kind of anxious about the new revision, I would hate for it to deviate too far from the magical UR-2. Hard to imagine what could be improved, maybe a little more bass ooooomph, but that's it. We'll see...
cool.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #60 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyButt
Ya know, I just asked him a couple weeks ago whether there was something in development and he answered that change was at a much slower pace or in essense, no, at least thats how I took it.
frown.gif
I wonder what version were sent to me . . . I think an e-mail to Grover is in order . . .

Whew. I have the UR3s - thank goodness (to put it PC like).
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back