Review: Griffin Woodtones over-the-ear headphones (vs. Shure SRH440)
Jan 3, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #16 of 25
well.. dang it.. my wife is going to get ticked.. at first then I'll tell her they cost less than $20 and she will be fine.. for some reason my wife thinks having more than 7 headphones is somehow strange??

anyways  ....did see the reviews on durablity but meh.. see what happens I guess for $18~  walnut on it's way   .. hopefully with care they wont snap =\ but whatever I was curious and they are cheap..sooo

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #17 of 25
We are not normal people.... 
L3000.gif
  I think having multiple headphones makes sense since different ones are useful for different situations, i.e., open vs closed, over-ear vs on-ear vs in-ear... I prefer over-ear but those are obviously the bulkiest and least portable, and I prefer open over closed but that obviously doesn't always make sense, either... so, anyway, one can see how multiple combinations multiply into a large number of headphones... 
beyersmile.png
happy_face1.gif
o2smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Yeah, I figured for  < $20, it was worth satisfying my curiosity.  I suspect that they have decent sound but looks like superb comfort.  And I love wood headphones!  

Quote:
  well.. dang it.. my wife is going to get ticked.. at first then I'll tell her they cost less than $20 and she will be fine.. for some reason my wife thinks having more than 7 headphones is somehow strange??

anyways  ....did see the reviews on durablity but meh.. see what happens I guess for $18~  walnut on it's way   .. hopefully with care they wont snap =\ but whatever I was curious and they are cheap..sooo

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 25
Mine showed uptoday... the look quite nice... I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some concerns on the hinges based on some of the reviews.. but seem ok... didn't break when I looked at them sideways at least..  comfort is indeed quite good feeling very light on the head.      I would say that the pleather pads do heat up my ears pretty quickly however.

Sound quality wise they are about as reported ... pretty good... all in all not bad at all for under $20 tempted to get some as gifts for people..

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 25
Mine also came in today, atarione

They're definitely a little dorky looking because of the suspension thingy but not ridiculously so, and the wood is nice.

Comfort is superb!

Sound is really good for the price of < $20. Bass is a little sloppy but it's really quite decent and I like them!

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 25
these are even cheaper now when I looked at amazon under $15 for the walnut ones.. I'm listening to mine now.. they must be close to the best $15 headphones you are likely to find..

the sound is good .. the comfort is really exceptional.. very light on your head.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 25
I agree, and either they've burned in a little or (perhaps more likely) I've experienced brain burn-in, because they sound even better to my ears now that I've had them a few weeks and they've become my default closed headphones at work.

The sound is quite good, certainly better than $18 I paid. They're supremely comfortable, light, and pleasant sounding. I just took off the Sennheiser Momentum on-ears I had brought with me this morning because they were beginning to hurt my ears and I put on these Griffin Woodtones.... they sound great with EDM.

these are even cheaper now when I looked at amazon under $15 for the walnut ones.. I'm listening to mine now.. they must be close to the best $15 headphones you are likely to find..

the sound is good .. the comfort is really exceptional.. very light on your head.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 25
I was given a subscription to Prime for a Christmas present so I ordered the Woodtones when the Amazon price dropped to $14.47.

I must say, for a headphone that is this price, if you don't prioritize super clean highs and you don't mind a slightly slow sounding bass, this is a pretty fantastic headphone!

I'm not much of a basshead, don't usually prefer a closed design and really relish clean upper mids and highs (the Q701 is my main phone) but have to say that I think I could live with this headphone if I had to. The bass is slower than I prefer but the mids are generally pleasant and the highs are non-fatiguing.Quite comfortable, to me at least

After running them for about a week (while we were out of town) I have to say this might be my favorite headphone for listening to stuff like Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat. I listen to a lot of classical and acoustic jazz and these definitely wouldn't be my first choice for that sort of thing but within their limitations, I think I'd have to call them an unbelievable value. At $60, I'd still consider them to be a decent choice but at $15... I mean... what else really is there? They may not prove to be the most durable design but I can live with that.

DSC_5844a1_zpsxekozcgd.jpg

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 25
I had the same impression... super comfortable, not the most detailed or anything, but good for the price.

Unfortunately mine developed a partial short within a week of desk use, so I'd say the wire is fragile along with that swivel point. Sent mine back, but if you can keep them working they're a heckuva deal.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 25
Griffin Woodtones are one of the best sub $100 cans i've used. Which can even rival with high end phones if amplified. Sound and bass getting distorted without amplification. But good when amplified. Other problem is durability. You may soon end up breaking the cup attachment which is connecting with the headband. Maybe someone make a mod of this to make it durable. They sound awesome by the way.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 25
I received some walnut woodtones today after noticing that they are getting closed out on ebay for $20. The beech ones for $18.

Sitting here listening to Kool Keith's "Feature Magnetic" and i gotta say "holy bass, batman!"

It's not bad bass though. These do sound like hundred dollar headphones.

My complaint: eSmooth committed a classic design flaw to the way these are constructed. The yoke is attached to the pivot with a screw that only goes half way through the length of the pivot. So that pivot is gonna snap in two.

It's not a hard fix. You'll need to take apart the cup assemblies to disconnect the yoke from the pivot if it hasn't already broken off, like mine were broken off in the original still-sealed retail packaging which arrived completely undamaged.

The trick is you have to take the driver assembly off of the wood part in order to pivot the yoke so that you can lay a long skinny screwdriver over the driver-side of the wood part and unscrew it. There doesn't appear to be a non-destructive way to remove the yokes.

Then you take the cover off the part that has the pivot and connects to the head arch, reach in with pliers or wire clippers and break off the (pitiful) reinforcing rib that is dead center in the bottom of that plastic part. This will reveal the other end of the screw hole that goes all the way through the pivot.

Then you reassemble with an M2x12mm machine screw (with washer) through the yoke and all the way into the part that attaches to the arch.

Install a nut on it as best you can, and drizzle a glob of epoxy in there to hold the nut in place. The nut won't bottom out because it doesn't have a flat surface to rest against.

Using a socket head screw makes it easier to reassemble because you can use a regular L-shaped allen wrench.

If your pivot is already broken, you will probably have to degrease the parts before you can superglue the pivot back in place. 'cause the pivot is thoughtfully damped with a greased o-ring.

20191027_142857.jpg
20191027_143018.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back