Review for Fun: Sennheiser PX-100 vs. AKG K601
Dec 27, 2008 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mookowz13

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm just bored waiting for my girlfriend's delayed flight to come in so I figured I'd spend some time and write a mini review.

Background:
So it's boxing day, my dad got a Zune - his first MP3 player - for christmas and hates earbuds. I found PX100s on sale at the Futureshop by my work and got them for him at $30. The Sennheisers will be the first Sennheiser set I've listened to aside from a pair of HD555 VERY briefly.

Build:
Obviously a $200+ headphone is going to be built much differently than a $30 one. However the PX100s appear to be decently built, being lightweight and having some metal parts. I like the form factor and how it folds up for portability. Plastic case isn't necessary but an added plus. Actual min-plug looks/feels cheap however but looks like it will fit a 1G Iphone.

Sound:
The Senns are hardly burned in but even straight out of the box into my computer (Winamp ASIO V0 VBR mp3 --> Leckerton UHA-3) it has a nice warm presence. The bass is deep (for such a small set of phones) and present, but not obnoxious. I find there is still too much of it (compared to the K601s) though. Even and polite sounding across the spectrum but not perfectly detailed. I find the mids can be a little too much on some songs (Dave Matthews Band - Two Step, the guitars are a little upfront) but its otherwise really good for the price. Warmer than my K601s but isn't dark like my A700s. Soundstage is definitely smaller but being earpad headphones at a fraction of the price it is still fairly good, lacks placement of the K601s but its still nice. I also realize it probably sounds better than it should as my K601 is severely limited by my source/amp.

Anyways its just a quick one as I wait and this is my first review so take it with a grain of salt. Also, I fully realize my source/amp are a severe limiting factor for the K601s, I'm looking to fix that in the future, I'm just on a budget now is all. All in all, for $30 my dad is extremely happy and I may just steal them on occasion when I don't want to deal with the clamp/pain of my K81Djs.

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 6
Nice writeup! I also took advantage of the PX100 sale @ Futureshop today. Really pleased with their performance thus far, and think I may prefer them to the MS2i I had previously. I'm tempted to nab another pair tomorrow!

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Haha my futureshop is already completely out, I'm good with my K81djs on the go though despite their complete lack of comfort.

I also was tempted to pick up the SCL3s for $70 but I opted to pass since I have the Super.fi 3's right now and I'm happy with them though I'm tempted to upgrade to the Super.fi 5 Pros. I eventually convinced my friend who just broke her ibuds to buy them so maybe I'll get my hands on them later lol.

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, I was debating whether or not to get the Shures too. Pretty insane deal for them since they were retailing for $249 last year there. Decided not to though, since I wasn't overly impressed with the E4C or SE530. Their cables also tend to crap out on me after a few months too.
mad.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 6
The PX 100 sound a lot better than their $30 - $40 street pricing
smily_headphones1.gif

I have bought pairs for everyone in the family as a nice step up from earbuds for critical listening in the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back