REVIEW: Firestone Audio Amps - Cute Beyond and Fubar III
Apr 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does ECC81 Tubes match the LC III?

NO. The LC III uses 6922's (E88CC). You can also use the 6DJ8/ECC88.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO. The LC III uses 6922's (E88CC). You can also use the 6DJ8/ECC88.

Ok. Just too bad. I have 4 Telefunken ECC81's which I never use. So I tought it would be great to play with the LCIII. Maybe I should put them en eBay then.

I had the LC II a few years ago but never really liked its sound. I thought it was too bright / sharp on my ears. Back then the Vincent KHV-1 was my favorite tube amp by far.

May 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry. Is it possible to switch the "Cute Beyond's" stock opamps and replace them with the AD743 opamps?

I understand opamps can be charged, but don't know which ones work or sound best.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #36 of 58
I really enjoyed your review, I know that it was a while ago but still very informative.

I have the Cute Beyond and the Supplier (the upgraded power supply) and I was surprised how much of a difference a headphone amp would make versus the hp jack on my preamp. As good as the Cute Beyond sounds I’ve been told that the Burr Brown 627 series gives the Cute Beyond a bigger soundstage, a bit more air and deeper, tighter bass. I’ve almost pulled the trigger a couple times on the purchase of the OPA627’s but haven’t done so yet, I’d love to hear from anyone that has made this change or with another Op-Amp and what the results were. The headphones I’m using are the Grado 325i’s (gold) and the AKG 701’s.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #37 of 58
Reviving thread because new Cute Beyond and Cute products have come out recently.

The new Cute Beyond has 1/4'' plug.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #38 of 58
I think that it's cool that this thread has been brought back to life since just 3 days a go I installed the OPA2627 SuperChip (replacing the stock OPA2227) into my Cute Beyond (I use it w/Supplier) and have been very, very happy with the results.

I normally use AKG 701's and Grado 325i's but I plugged in my iGrado's and sat them on top of the Cute Beyond to run the amp a couple days and to let this part settle in.

I put the iGrado's on last night and was shocked at the improvement (in my opinion) brought about by this $37 upgrade. The sound was warm, detailed and with much better, deeper, rock solid sounding, tight bass.

I'm not one to try new op-amps in every device I own that allows it, in fact this is the very first time I have ever changed the op-amps in anything. I was told that there would be a big improvement but I had low expectations and maybe that's why I am so surprised by the sound I'm now getting out of the Cute.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #39 of 58
Writing here again because I have bought the New version of the Cute Beyond.

Apart from the 1/4'' output, the only change seems it is this:
Quote:

Main OPAmp : TI – OPA2604
Servo OPAmp : TI – TL072

Instead of the stock OPA2227 from the older version. Even so op-amps keep being exchangeable.

It also has a more serious look (which I prefer, without the little drawing).

I bought the silver version:

cutebeyond2silver.jpg

Think it looks better than the black version, the plating looks out of place in the black version (when looking at it as a whole, when looking directly in front it doesn't). Just my opinion
beerchug.gif

Then I got a free National LM4562 op-amp. Will be interesting to do a RMAA measurement to see if there is any change with a (for example) 32 ohm load in the FR.

Will be getting it in a few days (maybe this week or early next week).

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzstudent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would the fireye II compare with running the headphones straight from my macbook pro?

I have no idea - I would have to hear it first. Looks interesting. Can't find it on Miziq's website http://www.miniatureaudio.com/ so I had to search for it.

USB Audio - USB Headphone Amp - USB DAC Headphone Amp - Fireye II USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier

Fireye%20II800x60007.jpg

My Travagans Green that I mentioned in the review also can work on USB power alone as a headphone amp, with optical out and coax out, plus if you plug it into the wall power you get 5 watt speaker out.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #42 of 58
Really awesome review - I do have a question for you though. I went to the site you mentioned above but I purchased a newer version of the Cute and noticed there's a "newer" type of Firestone Audio apparently - different from the images you posted above. Here's an example of one I'm talking about here - Fubar III. Are there any differences between the two? I assume these are newer models?

Anyways - thanks again for your review.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry for lack of knowledge, Headphone Amps, etc is kind of a new hobby for me. My wife already loves it
wink.gif
lol

Edit: Blah... I should have read the rest of the thread before I posted
o2smile.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nzstudent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would the fireye II compare with running the headphones straight from my macbook pro?

I unfortunately cannot comment on the Macbook Pro but the Fireye II is a fantastic gadget. Here's the specs for it . Same place I got my Cute Beyond (which I also really enjoy)...

The only bad part is I don't have a Mac
frown.gif
So I can't say how it would perform on your system unfortunately...

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlwaysAFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really awesome review - I do have a question for you though. I went to the site you mentioned above but I purchased a newer version of the Cute and noticed there's a "newer" type of Firestone Audio apparently - different from the images you posted above. Here's an example of one I'm talking about here - Fubar III. Are there any differences between the two? I assume these are newer models?

Anyways - thanks again for your review.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry for lack of knowledge, Headphone Amps, etc is kind of a new hobby for me. My wife already loves it
wink.gif
lol

Edit: Blah... I should have read the rest of the thread before I posted
o2smile.gif

I don't know about any changes. I would figure that if it was materially different other than color then they would call it the FUBAR IV (or the other one a Cute Beyond II).

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #45 of 58
HeadphoneAddict, just a quick (and belated) thanks for the review - found it most informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back