Review: Enigma Audio Oenomel XLR
Feb 22, 2006 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ayt999

Headphoneus Supremus
I was futzing around the other day with my balanced headphone rig when I decided that a superb interconnect was what’s holding back my otherwise remarkable system. Around the same time, I happened upon a Mall-Fi ad where some bloke was mentioning some newfangled interconnects with an offer to contact him without hesitation. I did just that, and a few whimsical and nonsensical exchanges later I found a package on my doorstep with some Oenomels inside. Now this was before the release of his new cable lineup so I didn’t know that this interconnect I ordered from Mr. Enigma was from his new collection, but that was a nice surprise.

As I opened this package, I could easily see that this was no ordinary cable. Talk about flair and style. If Mr. Enigma went through the trouble of creating an exemplary presentation of his cables I couldn’t wait to hear what magic he put into the actual sonic aspects of this interconnect.

As I noticed while plugging in the Oenomel, the connectors are high grade Neutrik from their X-HD series. Boy was I happy when I saw this. Now I don’t have to worry about water damage to my components while in use during rainstorms or dust storms due to it being “dust and water protected according to IP 65.” Moving onto the cable, it’s well protected in sleeving from the Flexo Flame Retardant lineup. I’m not in dire need of this feature, but it’s great to know that this cable can withstand heat with a heat deflection temperature rating of 325º F due to its use of a polyfyre flame inhibitor. You never know when a component may catch on fire or produce excessive heat, where a cable covered in such sleeving would be a useful preventative measure leading to the survival of your expensive interconnects.

I think this would be a good time to mention my headphone rig. As you can see from this picture, it’s a fully balanced setup with a balanced headphone, balanced amplifier (with separate power supply sections per balanced left and right channels), and balanced source. Of importance to note, is that the cables used in the picture are what I had before and are not the Oenomel cables Mr. Enigma sent me. Unfortunately my camera stopped functioning prior to the arrival of his cables thus I cannot take pictures of the current setup made complete by the Oenomels.

link

I’ve spent quite a bit talking of the build of the cable, but that is nothing compared to the sound of this bravura cable. I’m really at a loss for words, but I’ll do my best. Some say cables don’t make a difference, but this sure is stellar. Talk about quality in a cable. This cable conveys the bass and especially the midrange like nothing I’ve heard before. I sure am glad I e-mailed Mr. Enigma.

I would like to thank Mr. Enigma for creating a wonderful cable for me. It is simply stunning.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I dig the Greek name.
very unique.

Its like wine and honey
icon10.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
Now I don’t have to worry about water damage to my components while in use during rainstorms or dust storms due to it being “dust and water protected according to IP 65.”

Its the little things that give us comfort huh.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back