Review: EitS: All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
B000MCH54K.jpg

Explosions in the Sky will always have a special place in my heart. "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" introduced me to instrumental post-rock, and remains a gem of the genre. This Austin-based group has the capacity to make truly emotionally stirring instrumentals, and they can move me with a guitar riff the way few can with lyrics.

Their latest studio release, "All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone" is simply the next step in the maturation of the relatively unique sound of this band. The elements that made "The Earth..." so great are still here, and in droves. The guitars remain the protagonisits, with Munaf Rayani, Mark Smith, and Michael James at the helm. The melody is rarely held by a single instrument, and rarely, if ever, reaches into the territory of a solo. Often, all three will play distinct parts, with varied rhythms, that somehow manage to coalesce into a cohesive whole. Reaching, dreamy riffs that bend and collapse into themselves, often dueling between the right and left channels, serve as a propellant into reflective, sparse arrangements that ache with the energy that served to reach that plateau. Much of the intense energy found in their music can be attributed to the phenomenal drum work of Chris Hrasky. He seems to have an innate gift for knowing how to fill the entire work with a sense of longing, and yet having. Also, new to the Explosions sound, is the addition of piano work on the latter half of the record. I was taken a bit aback at first, but on several listens, the work would be incomplete without it.

The production is sparse, yet highly adequate. The record was produced by John Congleton, who is know for his lo-fi work, yet the album still twitches with atmosphere not present in his other work. The sound is simple, almost unadulterated save for the effect pedals, with no apparent studio sheen. He does exactly what I would hope a man producing EITS would do, and that is get out of the way and let their music speak for itself. In that, his work in this record is a complete success.

To those who write this off as being stagnant, and having a lack of innovation, I say so what? If Explosions had re-invented themselves and made anything else, I for one would have been inconsolably disappointed. This stands as a work on its own, not to be judged in relationships to the band's previous work. Explosions newcomers and long-time fans alike will both appreciate this record; the band following a similar formula as they have in the past does not make this music any less beautiful, heartbreaking, and uplifting.

I imagine it must be difficult for the band to come up with titles for their tracks and records, but they always somehow manage to be meaningful without sounding trite. The titles fit the mood superlatively, yet are deceptively melancholy. One might read the album and track titles and mistake this as a sad-core record, which couldn't be further from the truth. This is an album filled with hope, longing and beauty. True, it may be born out of melancholy, but that only serves as the foundation for a tower of hope. This could almost be a novella, beginning with the crashing first moments of "The Birth and Death of the Day," meandering through various heights and depths, and emerging triumphant with "So Long, Lonesome." Even the album title mixes joy with loneliness, assuming that there is an event that, in an instant, transfigures the mind, and makes one long for things familiar. At its best moments, this music has the capability to do exactly that.

600smile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 7
I appreciate the review Scotty!

However, I was dissappointed by this release. It's not so much that EITS didn't reinvent themselves or try to add new bits to their old sound - it's that the album as a whole just sounds weaker than the last one.

The first track gave me hope - it sounded like the EITS of old but more glorious and energetic than ever, especially at the 4:00 mark... when it hit 4:35 I felt INSTANT chills. It truly felt like "The Birth of The Day"!

However, after that it just sounded like it could have been outtakes from "The Earth Is Not...".

Although I would have been happy with "The Earth Is Not... Part 2", EITS needs to change it up a bit on the next album. The section of the first track I mentioned above (4:34 - 5:26) really felt different from anything they'd done before but then the band settles all too comfortably into their familiar sound by the end of the song.

On top of that the sound quality seems to have taken a step down from the previous album. It's louder but doesn't sound as clean or full, especially the drum sound which seems drenched in reverb and obnoxiously loud at times.

One thing I did enjoy was the prominence of piano/keyboard on a few tracks, especially on the last song. This track is the only one besides the opening track that displays some of the beauty and power that was on the previous album but with some signs of growth/change.

I totally understand your "so what?" comment though. If you love the sound why change it?
But to me EITS seemed to be growing a little with each release and this just feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back in some ways.

Still, it's certainly not a BAD album (see GYBE!'s Yanqui U.X.O.
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 7
I didnt include it in the review, but i admit that the album lulls a bit in the middle. But taken as a whole, those last 3 tracks just blow me away. The Conan show was good, but its pretty hard to capture EitS in 6 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, this album is not The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place. But its still pretty dang good.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Bah! You're biased because you're from Texas!
Hehe
biggrin.gif

Have to add: thanks for including the album cover for all to see.
I think EITS have some of the most original and beautiful artwork.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 7
is it just me that found "Those Who Tell The Truth..." and "How Strange, Innocence" to be more satisfying than "The Earth Is Not..." ??

anyways, just starting on the new album
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back