REVIEW: ECCI PR401 IEM...great sound at an entry level price!
Jun 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox

It’s always nice to hear someone is sending me something to listen to so that I can review it. It’s even better to get something that sounds great. The best is when you get something that is not only great but also affordable. I particularly enjoy the last category because I know what it was like not having enough cash and wanting to know what a high end anything would sound like. Ten years ago the entry level products were just that…entry level. You could not find anything mid-fi, let alone hi-fi, for under $100.00. Such was life. These days it’s a completely different story. There are a ton of entry level options which provide so much more than just entry level sound.

This ECCI PR401 is one such product. It has entry level pricing but is far from having an entry level sound signature. The build quality and construction seem sturdy and it is a comfortable IEM. I know this isn’t much to start off with so let’s dive a little deeper into the details that make this IEM a worthy choice within the sub $100 price category.

[size=19.5pt]SPECIFICATIONS:[/size]
Driver: 10mm Closed Dynamic
Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 20kHz
Impedance: 32 ohm at 1kHz
Max Input: 40mW
Sensitivity: 103dB/mW at 1kHz
Cable: 1.4m flat cable
Gold plated 3.5mm right angle plug

[size=19.5pt]THE PACKAGING/BUILD QUALITY:[/size]
The ECCI PR401 comes in a small but attractive black box that makes it great for gift giving. It makes for a perfect stocking stuffer or even a small birthday gift. No large, over-sized box for tiny headphones here!

[size=19.5pt]EQUIPMENT USED IN REVIEW:[/size]
The equipment used is listed in my profile.

[size=19.5pt]MUSIC USED IN REVIEW:[/size]
“Graceland” by Paul Simon – NON-REMASTERED VERSION
http://www.amazon.com/Graceland-Paul-Simon/dp/B00000E9O7/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1300269526&sr=1-3

“More Of Other Worlds, Other Sounds” by Esquivel
http://www.amazon.com/More-Other-Worlds-Sounds/dp/B000002MWF

“Inception” Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ODL004/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300269895&sr=8-4

“Discoveries” by Gustavo Dudamel
http://www.amazon.com/Discoveries-Gustavo-Dudamel/dp/B002NOYX04/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1300269981&sr=1-5

“Moanin’” Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (Analogue Productions SACD)
http://www.amazon.com/Moanin-Art-Blakey-Jazz-Messengers/dp/B002ALKZLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300278441&sr=1-1

[size=19.5pt]THE SOUND:[/size]
The sound quality straight out of the box is very good. I was actually very impressed by the sound coming out of these things right after opening the box. Regardless, I left it playing for over 50 hours just to give it some time to settle in.

The first test I put the PR401 up against was the entire album of “Graceland” by Paul Simon.  The main reason I love to use “Graceland” as a test is because I feel that is one of those rare albums that sound amazing and that you can readily buy at an online retailer or at any brick and mortar store for a reasonable price. Do note however, that I am using the first edition and not the remaster.

So how do the ECCI PR401’s hold up? Surprisingly very well!

The sound quality these little things put out is impressive, especially considering their price. They sound warm and natural with a slight coloration that makes them very musical. They are not the last word in neutrality nor natural sound but they are 90% of the way there! For something that costs under $100.00 I would say that is quite an achievement!

MORE SOUND SPECIFICS…

Jazz:
Jazz music tended to sound warm and musical while remaining accurate to the source. All in all, a very pleasant combination and one which I love. Listening to “Moanin’” on the Art Blakey SACD, nothing really stood out except for the great sound. Bass was present, mids were great and the highs never sounded sibilant or harsh.

Classical:
Listening to various classical pieces I noted that the sound signature, while not 100% accurate, was still very musical. The soundstage sounded a wee bit congested but still very good. If the soundstage was 180 degrees the ECCI PR401’s made it sound more like 140 – 160 degrees. A slight reduction but one which many people might not even notice.

Pop/Rap/Hip-Hop/Electronic:
The musicality continues on these genres as well. Bass was impactful, visceral and dynamic without any hint of tubbiness or bloat. Mids remained accurate and musical and the high end was crisp and detailed without ever sounding shrill.

[size=19.5pt]MORE NOTABLE NOTES:[/size]
Alas, no one item is ever perfect and the ECCI PR401’s are no different. The major flaw with this IEM is the cable. Unfortunately, it produces a great deal of microphonics. Even the slightest movement is carried by the cable. This isn’t always a problem when playing music, as the simple act of playing music will drown out some of the microphonics but during quite parts or when switching tracks, the microphonics are very noticeable to the point of annoyance.
The large nozzle diameter of the ECCI PR401’s might also make them an issue for some people’s ears. At first they were a bit uncomfortable for me but switching them around 180 degrees made a huge difference in comfort and in sound quality.

[size=19.5pt]CONCLUSION:[/size]
With any review, you are left to ponder exactly what to say to sum up the various characteristics of a particular product. With the ECCI PR401’s the various characteristics really sum up to one word: VALUE!

Despite its small shortcomings, the ECCI PR401’s provide quality sound for relatively little money. If you like a natural sound signature with a bit of warmth and don’t want to spend much, then make sure you try out the ECCI PR401’s as they just might fit the bill. These are also excellent IEM’s to purchase if you are looking for a back-up pair. If you don’t want to take your uber-expensive customs out then these just might fit the bill.

RECOMMENDED!

Many thanks to member delonicdevil, the owner of lendmeurears.com who was kind enough to provide me with the review sample.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Well I have some on the way. Not something new in the inventory, but I created a wishlist of IEMs to try out one day. I'm going to go back to my Silver Bullets until they arrive 
beyersmile.png

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 8
Got these a few days ago and they're great! I thought they were borderline sibilant straight out of the box but calmed down in the highs after a little burn in. Overall I like its balance very much but wish it had just a bit more sparkle now that's its done 60+ hours. Only real con for me is the isolation or lack thereof. Pretty mediocre in that dept. Was wondering if anyone has gotten a bit more isolation from other tips and what effect that had on the sound?

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 8
I just received mine today and I see all the stock flanges are singles. The Silver Bullet was a single flange too and fit me just fine. I'm wearing the PR401 right now and it's very comfortable and lightweight feeling in my ear (medium sized stock single flanges). I have to admit, every IEM I've bought just fits me right or comfort issues just aren't that noticeable to me.

Impressions:

My musical preferences are: World (Instrumental), Classical, and Jazz

Ohhh man, these are SO GOOD sounding. I'm flipping through tracks right now. Definitely a logical upgrade and perhaps an improvement in most areas versus the Silver Bullet if you like that. I love the SB myself, but find some of its frequency bumps obscure detail, also the slight sibilance gnaws on my ear after a while. The presentation, body, and musicality of these IEMs is just sublime and I'm only just listening to them. The bass reminds me of the SB (soft and rich like the reviewer said) while also being quick, surprisingly deep, and impactful. Treble extends beautifully without any distracting sibilance and really gives all types of music a nice sparkle and kick WITHOUT being fatiguing or... ... upfront sounding? It's all in the presentation and soundstaging. I was shocked at how pleasurable these were straight out of the box. It's funny the reviewer brings up the imaging aspect of these IEMs. It's true they are not pinpoint, but what I found interesting is on Classical recordings this works to an added benefit of distancing the instrument when called for, added smoothness, and aurally a natural acoustic environment. The level of detail and clarity is extremely good. I don't think I'm missing anything worth mentioning versus the other IEMs I own, and if so, the PR401 make up for it in other ways they would be lacking in. These will complement my collection very well - money well spent! Prior I was using the GR07. As much as I appreciate their qualities in bass, soundstaging, natural timbre, and detail; the sibilance (and too much 'sweetness') isn't my cup-o-tea for when I feel like listening to all genres of music

Cons? Slight congestion is the only thing I noticed thus far

Oct 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 8
After a few days:

For the first few days of listening with no burn-in I was using:

+1 step at 0.4 khz (Sony Walkman EQ)
-1 step at 2.5 khz

I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly, but it feels as if there's a hollowness to the sound which could be from the V-shaped frequency, thus higher energy frequencies (around the 2.5 khz region) stick out to the ear more.

I have around 20 hours on these now FYI. I think that 2.5 khz has been tamed slightly and I removed it from the EQ to test. With the right music it could almost deafen you lol

I still think the 0.4 khz boost is appropriate for these IEMs.

Hmm I'd also add that at first I enjoyed the 'distanced' presentation for Classical, but now I realize the fuzziness of where the instruments are placed can be confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back