Review: EarWerkz Legend Omega and Legend R - With Comparisons
Apr 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #16 of 217
yea $45.00 cost, it's near the top of his post, bolded under price section
wink.gif

I shot Jack a note and got a response back that the upgrade from the R to the Omega is actually $200.

"The Legend O upgrade is $200.00 as we have to tear the Legend open, add a new crossover with some revisions and then add in our acoustic bass chamber (which will be indicated by black tubing for the final production)."

Seems actually like a decent price considering the work involved is all done by hand. The $45 seemed too good to be true.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #18 of 217
I'd love to try the Legend R universal demo. Looking at a TOTL CIEM for my 18th birthday, but I'm not sure if I'd get lent it.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #19 of 217
I'd love to try the Legend R universal demo. Looking at a TOTL CIEM for my 18th birthday, but I'm not sure if I'd get lent it.

Maybe Moe can convince earwerkz to send the legend R demos around *hint hint?*

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 217
they might as well be reshelling it, on top of adding things.  45 bucks seemed like too good of a bargain for that.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #21 of 217
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #22 of 217
Looking at the website I don't see any mention of the omega. Is every new legend r sold now an omega or am I missing something...

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #23 of 217
  Looking at the website I don't see any mention of the omega. Is every new legend r sold now an omega or am I missing something...

They're two separate models from what I understand. The website hasn't been updated yet I don't think as they're still unveiling the Omegas to the public from what I understand. I own the Legend R and had never heard of the Omega until I saw moedawg's review.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 217

Omega is not a new version of legend R. It's a separate product. I'm sure they'll release it in time

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #26 of 217
I begin to see why Jack Vang's respected. Good vibes from my brief exchange.

Oh and for the Hulk aficionados, radioactive winter is coming. :D

...with some Ultramarines pizazz.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 217
And like spamateur I have emailed Jack and indeed the 45 usd cost to upgrade from a legend R to an omega is not accurate sadly:frowning2:.

The real cost of the upgrade will be confirmed to be 200usd. And the explaination of why it will be had been fully explained by spamateur!

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #29 of 217

Great review man!

Thanks VSENSES, I appreciate it!  Took some time to complete (and still updating day by day) but glad it finally came to fruition! 

Moedawg, you are a credit to this forum. Excellent review.

Thank you Spamateur, your comment means a lot to me.  I feel the same way about you as well!

great review!  so silver cable it is.

what are some good silver cable manufacturers?  and do all them cost a kidney?  

Thanks germanturkey!  As for good/reputable silver cable manufacturers, I like the customization, customer service, construction and coherency of Ted Allen’s cables (headphonelounge.com).   Best way to contact him is via his email, which is on his webpage.  I ordered a 2-pin Silver Litz cable from him, and will update the review with my impressions of his cable when it arrives.

What a great read, kudos to you Moedawg!

That Green Envy color is mesmerizing. I remember going 
eek.gif
 "I want THAT" when I stumbled upon that color while browsing Lear's gallery

Earwerkz website lists only 3 options for faceplates at the moment (gloss white/gloss black/clear). I wonder if they could make a Green Envy faceplate to match (at a premium fee of course).
edit: I also asked 1964 Ears about the possibility of making an Abalone shell to match that faceplate option. I'm such a sucker for beauty

Glad you liked the review, Cagin!  Yeah, I really like the translucent Green Envy color.  Definitely gives the Legend Omega a uniquely awesome touch. 

Thanks Moedawg for updating this (O)Mega EarWerkz review, great write-up. I guess it's a matter of time now before you'll be on Jack's payroll 
wink.gif

Thank you for the comment, glad you liked the review, and nice play of the word (O)Mega!

moedawg140 could you elaborate on sound stage and imaging? very curious how all these CIEM's compare, and especially if theres a difference between the Legend-R and the Omega in that regard.
Thank you for the good read and the hard work that went in to making this review!

Glad you liked the read, I appreciate the kind words! 

With regards to soundstage and imaging, most of the C/IEMs (including the Legend R and Legend Omega) are closer in comparisons to soundstage and imaging than not.  Most of these compared IEMs are coherent enough to give people their preferred signature if they auditioned enough IEMs, listening to as many as they can that interest them in length as well helps with what signature is best to and for them.  I would say the Layla has great soundstage and imaging with a perceived expansive soundstage, but there are some people that can’t perceive that large of a soundstage and imaging, as a result, they may not be impressed with the soundstage and imaging.  There are some listeners that prefer the Angie’s overall sound signature to the Layla.  Some listeners cannot even perceive differences between certain models.  The soundstage of the Legend R and Legend Omega are like you are right in on the action, like part of the actual band, orchestra, etc.  Both feel like you are immersed in the entire ambiance of the music.

Great, writeup, bud!  I especially like that you threw in the IEM seal test.  As someone who isn't big on IEM's, I think I'm going to find that vary useful.

You never revealed what the Ultimate Stress Test song was...  
popcorn.gif

Thanks for the compliment, buddy and glad you will find the IEM seal test useful!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for the review my friend. It looks very cool. :)

If you don't mind, I would like to share my short impressions about H8P-LR comparison.

H8P has less forgiving treble presentation than LR. If you listen to poor quality tracks, LR is a better option. LR recreates notes better with a better mid frequency resolution-detail, less coloration and more natural-true tone. H8P has a laid back stage placement while LR has a forward one. H8P has a larger stage with more distance. If you listen to very good quality tracks and if you are a treble lover, H8P may be for you. If you like mid-centered and forward-a bit close to face presentation with thick notes LR is the one. H8P may be more fatiguing during long listening session.  

Thank you for the compliment, glad you thought it looked cool, and thank you for your impressions.

Your best review yet my friend. I appreciated the comparisons between the different IEMs.

On my own pairs (which are both custom versions), the mids of the 1964 A12 and Legend R sound extremely different. The A12 has a much flatter, more neutral set of mids than the Legend R.

Thanks for the comments.  Even though the demo and custom versions will sometimes have different signatures between the two, I am aware that the Chord Hugo and a dedicated DAP is used for your listening.  Just wondering if the H8P and the Legend R were listened via the iPhone 6 and music playback applications that I used.  If not, I am not surprised that impressions regarding the sound signatures may not match mine.  I remember reading your thoughts on the Roxanne – that the variable bass setting yielded "a rather subtle change, with the bass maintaining the same character and changing just a tad in quantity", which I and others on the other hand perceive the Roxanne's bass to change significantly.  Keep in mind differences in sources and DAPs as well, and even if every auditory component is the exact same from person to person, people will still hear things differently.  If further discussion is in order, please drop me a private message.  Thanks, and let’s enjoy the music!

From the review, it sounds like to me that the Penta has a very similar sound to the Omega. big bass and less forward and non-fatiguing highs are what I'm getting out of it. How accurate is that @moedawg140 ?

To my ears, you are on the right path, Cotnijoe.  I would say it has a similar sound to the Omega, but the Omega is just on another level with every facet of the listening experience, save for soundstage (this is with the demo, so a custom version of the Penta may yield slightly different results).  Basically, the Penta sounds amazing for its price, with coherency and great bass, and the Legend Omega takes it even further with harder hitting bass, and more coherent midrange and treble.  Both are spectacular in their own way.

The Legend R and Legend Omega are two separate models, as Spamateur indicated.  Every new Legend R that is sold is a Legend R.  Every new Legend Omega that is sold is a Legend Omega.

Quote:
Can a R be upgraded to an Omega?

Quote:
yea $45.00 cost, it's near the top of his post, bolded under price section 
wink.gif

Quote:

I shot Jack a note and got a response back that the upgrade from the R to the Omega is actually $200.

"The Legend O upgrade is $200.00 as we have to tear the Legend open, add a new crossover with some revisions and then add in our acoustic bass chamber (which will be indicated by black tubing for the final production)."

Seems actually like a decent price considering the work involved is all done by hand. The $45 seemed too good to be true.

they might as well be reshelling it, on top of adding things.  45 bucks seemed like too good of a bargain for that.

And like spamateur I have emailed Jack and indeed the 45 usd cost to upgrade from a legend R to an omega is not accurate sadly:frowning2:.

The real cost of the upgrade will be confirmed to be 200usd. And the explaination of why it will be had been fully explained by spamateur!

After discussing with Jack, they wanted to make further changes and upgrades that weren’t reflected in the original fee. They want to make it first class for the owners and after speaking with the engineers they felt that the further upgrades were necessary and beneficial for the integrity of the CIEM.  Jack says: "$200.00 and $100.00 good towards your next purchase of $899 or further. All upgrades will receive a one-time coupon.  Omega upgrades and buyers will have a special logo unique to the model as opposed to the traditional "e". Design to be released later this month."

It's great that EarWerkz offers this type of service for current Legend R owners because most all other manufacturers will not offer upgrades - they just want you to purchase the next model. 

Jack further explains: "It's a $70.00 difference between R and O and we understand it's a lot to ask for $200 but again it requires a lot of labor and in return we are also offering the $100 coupon."  

Jack mentioned to me that the work to upgrade the Legend R to the Omega is more work that the $200 suggests, which is them having to replace and build the internals, and replacing the sockets - in this regard I see it as a major deal to the current Legend R owners. 

If you have any additional questions regarding the upgrade, please contact Jack at jack@earwerkz.com and or take a look at the upgrade page when it is up in the near future.

Epic review Moedawg! I'm ready to buy my next TOTL CIEM.

Thank you Headtrip for your kind words, and happy to read that you are ready to buy your next TOTL!  Congrats to you, and hope to see you at the next event!

Maybe Moe can convince earwerkz to send the legend R demos around *hint hint?*

cough good idea cough haha

There will be a page on EarWerkz.com announcing the tour in the near future.

They're two separate models from what I understand. The website hasn't been updated yet I don't think as they're still unveiling the Omegas to the public from what I understand. I own the Legend R and had never heard of the Omega until I saw moedawg's review.

Omega is not a new version of legend R. It's a separate product. I'm sure they'll release it in time

Correct.  The website will be updated in the near future.

I begin to see why Jack Vang's respected. Good vibes from my brief exchange.

Oh and for the Hulk aficionados, radioactive winter is coming.
biggrin.gif

...with some Ultramarines pizazz.

I agree Jack’s a great guy and definitely respected. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thank for review, cool spec 
wink_face.gif

Thanks – not sure what cool spec means (cool specifications of the Legend R/Legend Omega?), but thank you nonetheless.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #30 of 217
Great info on the upgrades there.  If you haven't already, make sure it's update onto the main review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back