Review: E4c's - One Man's Opinion (Electronic / Hip-Hop Listener)
Jun 15, 2005 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cknelson15

Head-Fier
Important tidbits:

1) The E4c's are my first audiophile-quality purchase
2) I listen mainly to (in order): Electronic / Hip-Hop / Alternative
3) I was choosing between Ety ER-4P's and UE Super.fi Pros
4) iRiver IHP-120 as source (no iPod info in this review)
5) Most songs encoded at 192 kbps / mp3 format

What I've listened to when forming my impressions:
Danny Howells - GU Miami Disc 1
Deep Dish - GU Toronto Disc 1
Stanton Warriors - The Stanton Sessions / Essential Mix
Common - Be
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Outkast - ATLiens, Aquemini
The Roots - The Tipping Point
Portishead - Dummy
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Nirvana - Unplugged in NYC
Cream - Strange Brew: Best of Cream

I don't have any real references for comparison to how other headphones sound (except my Sony MDR-700DJ's and a pair of E2c's I borrowed for a weekend), but I am a house music DJ and I have a soft spot for good loudspeakers (love my Tannoys), so I'd like to think I have the tastes of a discerning audiophile.

So much has already been said about these headphones that I don't want to retread, just offer a few impressions that may be helpful to those considering the E4c's who also happen to listen to the same types of music I do.

THE CLARITY: I must say that they sound amazing. Out of the box, I was a bit worried, I'll admit, but burn-in does these things a WORLD of good. Very clean, separated, detailed sound. Gets warmer by the hour. I can't say that there is an overwhelming soundstage or "in the head" sensation, but they sound really really good regardless. The Shure's have amazing clairty and detail, though, which really makes musical hip-hop and progressive house shine as the sum of their invidivual musical elements. I'm hearing things I've never heard before in songs I've listened to a million times. Like I said, I have no references for "roll offs" and midrange comparisons, but voices and synths sound fabulous. I don't quite get the impression that cymbals and hi-hats are as clearly represented as they could be, but the meat of the music is quite juicy (with a pink center).

Verdict: Awesome. Definitely getting the "wow" factor listening to songs I thought I knew inside and out.

THE BASS: I cranked the bass +16 db on my iRiver and that gave it a very tight, clean, punchy feeling, just like everyone has already said they got after some EQing. I read a lot about the Super.fi Pro's heavy duty bass and overall meaty presentation of music, and they were extremely tempting. With the EQ'ed Shure's though, I honestly feel like I am getting everything I need in a very clean package. I'm definitely a basshead when it comes to loudspeakers or my car system, but I honestly feel like opting for the clean, controlled bass these have over some seriously impactful bass is saving my hearing and allowing me to appreciate the overall presentation of the music better. My only reference: much tighter than the E2c's, but not as in your face. What I'm really enjoying is hearing the nuances and subtleties of the bassline itself and how it's constructed, instead of just feeling the impact of BASS. I'd love to hear if the Super.fis achieve such a stronger bass presence but still keep the clarity and conciseness that the Shures offer.

Verdict: My initial fears that I shorted msyelf on bass have been alleviated after some burn-in and some EQing. Very present without overpowering other elements.

MISC: I've settled on the foamies because they seem to be the most comfortable and the closest to a custom fit. Noise isolation is great - I definitely can't hear my boss anymore when she comes up behind me. People have taken to tapping me on the head with pens (I need a rear-view mirror). Didn't talk much about the Etys, but I just felt that the microphonics, the outdated look, and consistent "lack of bass" and "thin" comments were enough to steer me away. Some recordings definitely sound better than others. In general though, on well-produced tracks, 192 kbps was more than enough quality to bring songs to life. Overall package of the Shures is underwhelming, but they look damn good and you're in it for the sound, right??

It seems like the way discussion trends are going over the past two weeks since I've been reading religiously, might lean people who are into the kind of music I am towards the Super.fi's. I'm sure they sound amazing and don't want to discredit anyone who happens to like those more. After reading what Jmmmm and Joelongwood and other 1000+ members have said about the E4c's, though, I have experienced the potency of the E4c's high definition driver and agree that the extra detail and clarity you get with these are a huge, legitimate selling point.

Dirty gangster hip-hop and straight techno/drum n' bass fans might be better served by bass-heavier phones, but if you are into musical hip-hop (e.g. all the stuff I've listed above, anything Dre or Kanye produce) or house/progressive house with musical elements (like Deep Dish, Danny Howells, Mark Farina, Marques Wyatt), I think the Shures are an excellent choice IMHO and I recommend them without reservation as someone with little experience but a lot of expectations out of my audio purchases.

Jun 15, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the excellent review. I too have a iRiver H120 and debating between the E4s and the Super.fi pros. If anyone has anymore information comparing the two please let me know! I listen to mainly rock/some metal and hip hop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back