Review: Dunu DN-23 Landmine - Smooth and enjoyable
Jul 18, 2013 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Review: Dunu DN-23 Landmine

First off I would like to thank Dunu, they have supported me from the beginning and I'm always pleased to review new products of theirs, I have had quite a few of their models.
I will write as honest a review possible, and these have had over 50hrs of burn-in but no differences were noted.

Gear Used:
IPod Classic 160gb (rockboxed) > DN-23 (sony hybrid M tips)

Specs:
Driver: 10mm HQ dynamic transducer 
Frequency Response: 16Hz~22kHz
Sensitivity: 120 +/- 2dB (1kHz / Vrms)
Impedance: 16 ohm
Weight: 28g
Cable: 1.2m
Plug: 3.5mm stereo, gold plated.
Noise Attenuation: -26dB
MSRP: US$80

Packaging, accessories and build quality:
Standard Dunu packaging, which I love as it has a premium feel to it. It is a black cardboard box with an outer sleeve from which an inner black box slides out, this has a magnetic flap to present the IEM's and carry case in a velvet covered plastic intray. Under this intray you will find the rest of the accessories and warranty information. Anyone with experience with Dunu will know what the packaging is like.

Accessories are also one of Dunu's strong points, they come bundled with loads of tips, a semi hard clamshell case, a soft pleather pouch, cable clip and 6.3mm to 3.5mm and aeroplane adapters. All in all excellent array of accessories and enough tips for anyone to get a good seal.

Build quality is top notch as always, all metal housing feels solid albeit a little heavy, cable is of sufficient thickness but I know it is durable as a pair of DN-12 I have are still going strong after nearly 2 years of use. The cable has the patented cable wrap which I find very useful when storing the IEM's. The jack is well built with good strain relief, the Y-Splitter is metal and gives them a more premium finish. These are built like tanks, as are most of Dunu's models.

Comfort, Isolation, Cable noise and Driver flex:
Comfort is great once you find the right tips, I didn't need to readjust them often and they are comfy, when properly inserted you don't feel the weight of the housing.

Isolation is very good for a DD IEM, the housing is fully sealed and I think that and the combination of a metal housing contributes to great isolation.

Cable noise is present but not enough to become really annoying, using them over the ear or adjusting the chin slider will reduce cable noise.

Driver flex is also not a problem with these, it is rarely present.

Sound:
Split into the usual categories

Lows:
Well Dunu house sound is warm and smooth and these have the typical Dunu house sound but a bit more refined. Excellent quantity as they never drown everything out or take over, but are still noticeably present with excellent sub-bass capabilities and mid bass having a satisfying full bodied punch. Very good ratio between quantity and quality, fun yet detailed and controlled, they may not be the quickest in attack but they let you enjoy the beat rather than analyse it.

Mids:
Not upfront neither recessed, they sit just behind the lows in terms of quantity but are well balanced. They have a slightly thick note but the lows never intrude and drown out the mids. This slightly thick note means you miss out on a little detail, but the mids still stand their ground in the mix and still retain good detail whilst being easy going and smooth.

Highs:
The highs don't have the greatest sparkle or detail but they also don't fail miserably. The highs are a little further back in the mix but still retain good detail and save the IEM's from sounding too dark or veiled, they compliment the sound perfectly and are incorporated seamlessly into the mix as they are not in your face and don't throw detail at you, but are just present to complete the sound. Treble sensitive user will be fine with these, and another good thing is that these won't render bad recordings unlistenable.

Soundstage, Instrument separation and Imaging:
Soundstage is larger than average, being quite immersive but not particularly wide.

Instrument separation is good but there is not a lot of air between instruments.

Imaging is good and spacial ques are picked out fairly easily.

Conclusion: Typical Dunu sound but more refined, smooth and easy to listen to but also with enough detail to satisfy most. The sound is surprisingly well balanced with a slight boost in the lows, which compensates when using these in public, these are a joy to listen to and I highly recommend them if you want something between a fun sound and a balanced sound as you get a bit of fun factor with a well balanced sound.

Tracks Used:
Skrillex – First Of The Year (Equinox) (320kbps MP3)
Paramore – Franklin (320kbps MP3)
Diana Krall – The Girl In The Other Room (FLAC)
Deolinda – Passou Por Mim E Sorriu (live) (ALAC)
Suicide Silence – Unanswered (FLAC)
Massive Attack – Angel (ALAC)
Eat Static – Dzhopa Dream (ALAC)
The XX – Crystalised (FLAC)
Funeral For A Friend – Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings (ALAC)
Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man (FLAC)
The Scene Aesthetic – Humans (259kbps MP3)
A Hero A Fake – Swallowed By The Sea (254kbps MP3)
Vivaldi – The Four Seasons, Spring Allegro (ALAC)
Johnny Craig – Children Of Divorce (161kbps MP3)
Deadmau5 + Kaskade – I Remember (Caspa Remix) (320kbps MP3)
Black Uhuru – Utterance (ALAC)
We Are The In Crowd – Never Be What You Want (226kbps MP3)
Silverstein – Discovering The Waterfront (320kbps MP3)
Concept Of Thought – Our Thought (FLAC)
Nirvana – Something In The Way (Unplugged) (ALAC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back