Review & Discussions/Impressions: Creative Labs E-MU Walnut Wood Series Headphones by SoundTown
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #31 of 33

Yeah I was surprised when I saw the product link in my email too. Interestingly, Chan had sent me a set of Purpleheart cups to try on the E-MU Teak when I bought the headphones, so perhaps it’s about time I tried those cups on eh?
Just touching it though, it is immediately noticeable how much denser and heavier the Purpleheart wood from E-MU is compared to the Rosewood, and especially compared to the Teak and Walnut. Will try to get it on the Teak headphones if I can make the time.
Will be interesting to see how this “portable” headphone turns out, especially at under $100.

Hey SoundTown, 

I'm considering picking up a set of the Purpleheart headphones and read your review on the walnut ones in the process. I registered to ask what you think of the Purpleheart cups! I'm wondering what effect they have on audio from your perspective. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #32 of 33
  Hey SoundTown, 

I'm considering picking up a set of the Purpleheart headphones and read your review on the walnut ones in the process. I registered to ask what you think of the Purpleheart cups! I'm wondering what effect they have on audio from your perspective. 

Based on my experience with the E-MU Teak and swapping out the wood cups on that headphone, I can give you a loosely educated guess on what the sound of the E-MU Purpleheart may sound like. This is, of course, under the assumption that the Purpleheart uses the same drivers as the Walnut / CAL, which seems to be the case.
Because the Purpleheart is denser and thicker, I’m guessing that most notably, the bass will be deeper, thicker, and possibly tighter than the Walnut. When amped, the Walnut’s bass gets tighter, but mid-bass is still a tad flabby and sub-bass is still absent. This is likely due to the Walnut’s thinner, lighter wood, which provides more of a sense of space and airiness, but doesn’t create enough resonance to produce bass. I suspect this is one of the more convincing reasons to use the Purpleheart wood with the CAL/Walnut’s 40 mm driver.
Mid-range may take a bit of a hit in quantity, being more recessed than the Walnut. I’d suspect the mid-range will still be smooth and liquid like the Walnut’s mids, but will no longer be the shining quality or focus with the Purpleheart wood due to the more pronounced bass line.
For treble, I’m not very sure how this will be affected, but suffice to say the Purpleheart will likely, at the very possibly worst, produce good enough treble energy and detail.
One more note is that because the Purpleheart wood used is likely going to be thicker than the Walnut wood used in the E-MU Walnut headphones, sound stage will probably be closed in a bit. That said, if you’re considering a closed / semi-closed set of headphones, I’m assuming sound stage isn’t a huge issue for you.
Just to reiterate, these are just guesses, I have not tried the E-MU Purpleheart headphones at all.
To conclude, I’d say the Purpleheart may very well be a better value than the Walnut, being about a fifth less in price. If you’re looking for sub USD$100 closed headphones, the Audio Technica M40x is worth considering as well, but I don’t think the Purpleheart will vbe a regrettable choice either. Just take care of the wood and the non-detachable cables and you’ll probably be good.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #33 of 33

Based on my experience with the E-MU Teak and swapping out the wood cups on that headphone, I can give you a loosely educated guess on what the sound of the E-MU Purpleheart may sound like. This is, of course, under the assumption that the Purpleheart uses the same drivers as the Walnut / CAL, which seems to be the case.
Because the Purpleheart is denser and thicker, I’m guessing that most notably, the bass will be deeper, thicker, and possibly tighter than the Walnut. When amped, the Walnut’s bass gets tighter, but mid-bass is still a tad flabby and sub-bass is still absent. This is likely due to the Walnut’s thinner, lighter wood, which provides more of a sense of space and airiness, but doesn’t create enough resonance to produce bass. I suspect this is one of the more convincing reasons to use the Purpleheart wood with the CAL/Walnut’s 40 mm driver.
Mid-range may take a bit of a hit in quantity, being more recessed than the Walnut. I’d suspect the mid-range will still be smooth and liquid like the Walnut’s mids, but will no longer be the shining quality or focus with the Purpleheart wood due to the more pronounced bass line.
For treble, I’m not very sure how this will be affected, but suffice to say the Purpleheart will likely, at the very possibly worst, produce good enough treble energy and detail.
One more note is that because the Purpleheart wood used is likely going to be thicker than the Walnut wood used in the E-MU Walnut headphones, sound stage will probably be closed in a bit. That said, if you’re considering a closed / semi-closed set of headphones, I’m assuming sound stage isn’t a huge issue for you.
Just to reiterate, these are just guesses, I have not tried the E-MU Purpleheart headphones at all.
To conclude, I’d say the Purpleheart may very well be a better value than the Walnut, being about a fifth less in price. If you’re looking for sub USD$100 closed headphones, the Audio Technica M40x is worth considering as well, but I don’t think the Purpleheart will vbe a regrettable choice either. Just take care of the wood and the non-detachable cables and you’ll probably be good.

Thank you SoundTown! I'm considering the Purplehearts as another pair of headphones, a "just because they're nice" purchase. I'm really happy with my B&O Beoplay H6s, and of course the Purplehearts wouldn't be replacements. I guess I'd like to add to my collection. I appreciate your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back