Review: DAC Throwdown! Pico Vs. VDA-2
Feb 17, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About the Blu-Tack, won't it stain the surface that it's adhering to? If not, I'll have to remember to try it out if I buy another Pico.

Not as far as I can tell, but then my audio rack isn't anything special, material-wise. If you had a beautiful mahogany rack or somesuch I could see how you'd be skeptical.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #17 of 31
I think that this thread needs some pics! Here's some pics of my VDA-2 with VAC-1 (just got it this week- used off Audiogon)

As far as sound goes, I love it! It compares very well to other DACs I've heard. Great soundstaging and separation, which is what I love

Even though I saw several pics online before mine arrived, I was still surprised how small it is! The last picture should give you a better idea of how true this is
2usylxg.jpg

Full-size pic: http://i46.tinypic.com/w9fuqx.jpg
xana14.jpg

Full-size: http://i46.tinypic.com/20rtmc9.jpg
9gx94k.jpg

Full-size: http://i45.tinypic.com/2yvqixj.jpg
i1h3yt.jpg

Full-size: http://i48.tinypic.com/33nc56s.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #18 of 31
Thanks for posting the pictures jeremyzone. That's what mine looks like too.
wink.gif

I just thought that I'd bump this thread with some impressions of mine of the VDA-2 with the DNA Sonett. I had the chance to listen to it for about a week. From top to bottom, the pairing sounded very clean to me. My HD600 sounded downright cavernous, with surprisingly powerful bass. The Sonett was largely able to retain the width of the VDA-2's soundstage with the GS-1, if not quite the depth. It lacked the airiness, top-end detail, and palpably low noise floor of the GS-1 though. It was definitely on the warmer side of neutral, although I have a sense that it was very balanced for a tube amp. I ultimately decided to return it. Unfortunately, I sold off my GS-1 to pay for it. So for now, I have no amp.
redface.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 31
This is a bit off topic, but you might consider the Channel Islands VHP-2 and power supply as a replacement amp. The duo (VHP-2/VDA-2) sound very good together.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 31
Oh, it's not off-topic at all! I actually gave the VHP-2 + VAC-1 a try with my VDA-2 just recently. I loved the "stack" form-factor, but, unfortunately, it didn't sound very good to me. It was very balanced, but anemic. Comparing it to other amps I've heard in its price category, I think that both the M^3 (I acquired one recently for auditioning) and the Gilmore Lite sound better overall.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

The Sonett was largely able to retain the width of the VDA-2's soundstage with the GS-1, if not quite the depth. It lacked the airiness, top-end detail, and palpably low noise floor of the GS-1 though.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that once you get into the top-end solid state amps (GS-1, GS-X, Beta22), tube amps really struggle to keep up on a technical standpoint. It's dissapointing to hear that the Sonett didn't equal the GS-1, as it's a well-respected tube amp for its price point. I wonder just how crazy you have to get with tube amps to get comparable performance.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 31
Covenant posted:-
I wonder just how crazy you have to get with tube amps to get comparable performance. .

It seems Blue Hawaii & Aristeus is about in the ballpark.
Others would say they're ahead.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that once you get into the top-end solid state amps (GS-1, GS-X, Beta22), tube amps really struggle to keep up on a technical standpoint.

Based on my experience with the Sonett, I suspect that you may be correct. Again, it was a damn good amp, but it just couldn't pass the muster with me having heard the GS-1. It was soundly superior to every other amp I've listened to, but that's to be expected given its price point. If only it sounded it as good to me as it looked!
biggrin.gif
Don's customer service was, I would like to emphasize, absolutely exceptional too.

Right now I'm listening to the VDA-2 through a friend's loaned ALO Audio Amphora, and the combination is just about perfect to my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've already gone ahead and ordered one for myself, along with another Pico.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems Blue Hawaii & Aristeus is about in the ballpark.
Others would say they're ahead.

They're electrostatic amps though, different kettle of fish.

Quote:

Right now I'm listening to the VDA-2 through a friend's loaned ALO Audio Amphora, and the combination is just about perfect to my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've already gone ahead and ordered one for myself, along with another Pico.

You're liking the Amphora, are you? I've always been curious about Red Wine's battery powered designs, i'd kill to hear a Isabellina HPA for instance. And yeah, Pico's are like that, I eventually sold my Pico Dac/Amp because I had a Dac-Only, and now I'm regretting it
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 31
This was excellent for a first-time review. Actually, I would say you've done better than many reviews by "veteran" reviewers. A few suggestions for possible future reviews: a handy source switcher and another identical RCA interconnect would allow for much faster comparisons. Also, I don't know the output ratings for either DAC offhand; maybe you should measure them to make sure you're getting volume-matched comparisons. Anyways, good job!

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #27 of 31
Can you explain what you mean Atothex? I sincerely appreciate the compliment and suggestions for the future, but I'm a bit puzzled by your last remark.
confused.gif

By way of an update, I've been using the VDA-2 with my own Amphora for some time now. The synergy between the two is simply outstanding. I actually enjoy the VDA-2 more through the Amphora than I did the GS-1, if you can believe it!

As for the Amphora, it sounds surprisingly similar to the GS-1. I would say that it is slightly warmer, but in a good way. It lacks the GS-1's brawn and authority, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice in SQ in exchange for the form-factor benefits that the Amphora offers me. I'm really liking the stepped attenuator a lot too. If I decide to do any more reviews in the future, I think I'll be happy to have it. Besides, I'm a sucker for a handsome wooden finish.
wink.gif

I actually got my new Pico in today, and, unfortunately, I'm less than thrilled with it. I had bought another one with the hope of running a more portable system. I've been spoiled by the VDA-2 though, and I find the comparatively closed-off sound of the Pico harder to listen to now than I did when I was reviewing it. Since I can't economically justify keeping both DACs, well, so much for that idea.
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #28 of 31
Well, it just comes off as a bit shady to write up a glowing review of a product, then put up a FS ad not long after.

I don't know you or your rep, so maybe that's simply a coincidence, and there's really no ulterior motive behind the sale, but HF can be a real shady place.

Please don't think I'm accusing you; I just don't know one way or the other.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it just comes off as a bit shady to write up a glowing review of a product, then put up a FS ad not long after.

I don't know you or your rep, so maybe that's simply a coincidence, and there's really no ulterior motive behind the sale, but HF can be a real shady place.

Please don't think I'm accusing you; I just don't know one way or the other.

No, I can certainly appreciate your viewpoint. I prescribed to it myself a few times in the past. You're not being unreasonable in the least.
smile.gif

If you think that I'm some kind of huckster... well, I guess I would encourage you to take a look at my feedback. I can tell you up front that this wouldn't be the first – or the last – time that I've sold off something shortly after I've said that I liked it. That's always sort of my approach to this hobby; I'm always "cannibalizing" my stuff. I'm not going to make any apologies for that. I've only got so much money I can spend on this, and I have to make it go a long way.

I would encourage you to carefully read my listing too. As with just about everything that I've sold in the past, I'm almost always flexible with the sale price to some degree. I'm also hesitant about selling the VDA-2 in the first place, so I'm not going to price it as if I were eager to unload it. Lastly, the listed price includes several rather nice (re: mostly not cheap) extras. If someone wants to buy the VDA-2 separately, then I will be more than willing to accommodate that person. I certainly don't think the price for the full package that I'm offering is unreasonable though, given that I paid just a bit shy of a $1,000 for all that stuff new.

I apologize if it seems like I'm bristling at your insinuation. As I said, it is a perfectly fair one to make. I do take my reputation seriously, however, and I'm not one to shrink from a challenge to it. But I appreciate the criticism nonetheless.
wink.gif

To get back to your original remarks, would you be willing to give me any advice about what specific tools I should avail myself of in the future? I could use some guidance there.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back