Review: Crossroad M3 vs UE Triple.Fi 10
Apr 17, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mattcalf

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes, they are worlds apart in cost, build quality and regard. But this is how I can contribute to the community and I'm interested to see if I can hear the $250 difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

OUTLINE
This review will be incredibly brief and in rather lay terms! I'll describe the sounds as best I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

My reference for the review is (incredibly terrible) X540 logitech speakers for a loudspeaker experience.
frown.gif
And M-Audio Q40 phones.

The test will be:
1- Straight out of my laptop. Running FB2K with WASAPI output playing FLAC files [size=xx-small][accurate][/size]ripped with EAC.

(I might add more later. i.e. H340 > Fiio E3, H340 > Starving Student, Laptop > Bantam DAC > Starving student)

PLAYING FIELD

The tracks I will use to compare will be:
  • 36 Crazyfists - [Rest Inside The Flames #6] Midnight Swim
  • Buena Vista Social Club - [At Carnegie Hall (Disc 1) #01] Chan Chan
  • Norah Jones - [Come Away with Me #01] Don't Know Why
  • Tool - [10,000 Days #02] Jambi
  • Opeth - [Blackwater Park #01] Still Day Beneath The Sun
1. I know this track very well, it's quite dynamic. The vocals are quite powerful and controlled, with both clean and 'dirty' vocals. The drumming features a range of cymbals. The guitars are what you'd expect from a metalcore band...

2. This track is a bit outside the box, featuring many vocalists and many instruments. (Trumpets, guitars, percussion) I chose this because it is live (recorded at Carnegie Hall) and is foreign, so the review isn't isolated to mainstream music as such.

3. This track is certainly out of my box. Outstanding vocals in all senses of the word, well produced (according to other sources), brings piano and female vocals into the equation.

4. A must have on any listen list for me. Simply an amazingly complex and beautiful song. A range of vocals, guitars and drumming that tests most musicians.

5. A purely acoustic song, clean vocals, with a large hiss. Covers the ****ty quality end of the spectrum.

QUICK NOTES
X3: These really don't isolate well but are a beautful fit for me, hardly know they're there but they aren't going anywhere either.
TF10: Isolate awesome, but they do have a foot print. Can hear my heart beating slightly (not with music on ofcourse).

HEAD TO HEAD (THE ACTUAL REVIEW)
[size=xx-small]LAPTOP > FLAC > WASAPI > PHONES[/size]
[size=small]Track 1:

[/size]Crossroad Mylarone X3 -

The first thing I notice is they are rather bass light. There isn't much body to the song, I'm not a basshead but I'm feeling as though the phones are not showing me the full picture. Maybe the Q40s have spoiled me, I'm not sure.
The vocals are slightly veiled, they don't really stand out as much as normal.
A good point is that the drums are quite well defined.

UE Triple.Fi 10 -
Bass is there, still not greatly presented.
Vocals are much nicer though, really able to define the lyrics and the emotion that is pouring out.
Drums are also very good.

[size=small]Track 2: [/size]
[size=small]
The soundstage is very clear, it isn't amazingly wide or anything. But there is space. Also the blacks are pretty damn black.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a rather cold sound though.
The vocals are alot more defined then the last track, still a bit nasaly to be honest.
All the instruments are nicely represented (audibly) and these IEMs are making the track almost a bit fun!

UE Triple.Fi 10 -
Despite the X3's good performance on this track, the 10s are just outshining it instantly here.
Everything is more defined, the vocals are not nasaly at all. 100% Cuban.
darthsmile.gif

Very full sound, enjoying the song!!!

[size=small]Track 3: [/size]
[size=small]
With my M-Audio Q40s, this song, the vocals in particular can be almost overpowering. When Norah gets up into the higher range, it makes me tense up your ears almost. This is definantly lessend with the X3s but it's still there.
The piano is very pleasant, as is the ever present shaker.
Soundstage is a bit wider then in the past two songs, nothing special, just a bit of spatial definition.

UE Triple.Fi 10 -
Norah's voice instantly jumps out being extremely smooth, alot moreso then through the X3s. The issue is still there with some shrill high notes, that could just be due to volume.... even though it is improved with the TF10s over everything else. The IEMs really demonstrate the beautiful midrange of various vocals, they can make turn around wondering if the singer is behind me.
jecklinsmile.gif

Piano is beautiful and drums are in the perfect position for easy listening. Love it!

[size=small]Track 4: [/size]
[size=small]

The bar of guitar makes me happy, ahaha, these IEMs are so far doing this song justice. Vocals aren't as evocative as you'd expect from a Tool song nor are the drums, I guess that's where the X3s let me down.
The sound is not as powerful as desireable, but I feel the phones are in control of the song.

UE Triple.Fi 10 -
As good a job as the X3s did, again the TF10 immediatley trumps them... hard!!!
smile.gif

These IEMs made me close my eyes and really enjoy the music.
Seperation and definition are scrumptious. Although the drums are just below what my ideal 'potency' would be.
They are really just commanding my attention, something that I feel is necessary from a pricey phone!

[size=small]Track 4: [/size]
[size=small]
Hiss is really noticeable, so I guess they aren't missing any of the sound. Although the music is almost drowning it out, not quite.
Vocals are very smooth, actually suprising me how powerful they are from these phones. Backup vocals are positioned on the far right and left of me, while lead is dead center. The X3s are defining this well.
However, when I close my eyes I feel a bit lopsided. Weird, still a great sound.

UE Triple.Fi 10 -
Hiss is not as noticeable and is completely drowned out by sound.
Vocals are much more defined and powerful.
It feels like there is an acoustic guitar picking away either side of me.
Awesome stuff. (No lopsidedness either)

CONCLUSION

Right to the point: before hearing the TF10, I was extremely happy with the X3.
Is it worth the extra $250? Yes, I have absolutley no regrets with making the upgrade.
Am I 100% satisfied with the TF10? Yes, I have no thoughts of upgrading. I do however want to amp it.
So, what's happening to your X3? They'll be heavily used by my mother. And I'll use them wear I don't wanna risk the large investment that is the TF10.

The Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 are leagues above the Crossroad Mylarone X3, in all aspects. That doesn't mean the X3s do a bad job, the TF10 just does everything ALOT better.
ksc75smile.gif

I'd be more then happy to answer any questions and queries.
I know it's a rather dodgy review, I don't have anything great to compare to but hopefully someone will benefit from this review!

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Looking forward to your thoughts on Trips after you get your Mini3
biggrin.gif

I did the X3 > TF10 journey too, stopping off at ER-6 on the way. I still really like Etys tho...

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Wow, i owned both and still keeping X3 as backup pair. Both really good but X3 really the best value IEM i ever had. Only paid USD30+ for it but it performed several time its pricetag. Main problems with X3 are rather thin sound and tiny bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back