Review Corda Headamp w/HD600s
Nov 13, 2001 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sordidman

New Head-Fier
REVIEW: Corda Headamp & Sennheiser HD600

PREFACE, WHO I AM and WHAT ARE MY GOALS: I add this as I believe that before I get started, - I should point out that I believe that there is no objective right and wrong with reviewing equipment. Since music and music making equipment is an art form, there is no one recognized standard of what constitutes a “good.” The best that we can do is define who we are and what we like. From that point, the reader that can “interpret” the reviewers comments in relation to what they like. For example, since I listen to and like very little Classical or Country music, I don’t expect that any musical system that I purchase would be concerned with how Classical or Country music sounds on that system. That is not to say that the systems that I like can’t do a good job reproducing Classical or Country music, - it’s just that I am not going to care if my system can reproduce these genres.
It is with these thoughts in mind that I must say that it’s silly to even try to be objective. I am a musician, songwriter and producer. I am very much a fan of British experimental pop music. Currently I listen to a lot of modern dance/lounge, techno-jazz music. I am a fan of British post-punk rock music. I am going to like musical systems that re-produce this type of music well. I also contend that there are not many systems, -especially budget systems, - that produce both post-punk rock and classical music well. If you don’t like this type of music, or don’t want systems that achieve these goals, - this review still could be useful, - if you keep in mind my prejudices and predilections.
Given the above facts, - when I listen to a music reproduction system, - I listen for an accurate reproduction of the music and noise that the musician makes. (I realize that this also can be a very subjective interpretation). It is important to me to hear the AGGRESSIVE attack of the musicians and their instruments whenever the musicians are being aggressive. In a lot of ways, this sometimes means uncolored or “rough-edged” highs. It’s also been my experience that in order to be even more aggressive, - many British bands or many British influenced bands also purposely record their music brighter. (This of course, is a generalization, and not always applicable).

MY GOAL and SYSTEM: I received my Corda Headamp & HD600s and have been burning them for over 150 hours so far. I also have Merlin TSM millennium bookshelf speakers on B&W speaker stands supported by 16 SSC pucks. I use Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cable bi-wired with Harmonic Technology Pro Silway MKII interconnects from my Mark Levinson 383 Integrated amp off to my Arcam FMJ CD23 CDP. I have the Corda Headamp connected directly to output 2 of the CDP via Tara Labs Prime Generation II interconnects. I use Aurios under the CDP. I also listen in the very near-field. I sit only 8 ft. back from my speakers. My goal is to have my headphone system sound exactly like my main system sounds through the speakers. In a lot of ways, I find now that this may be somewhat of a paltry ambition.

THE MEAT: Listening to the headphones with the Corda’s crossfeed feature on its lowest setting I find the system to be substantially darker sounding than my main system. I get a much lower bass extension and the whole spectrum of music sounds much darker. I still feel as though I am getting high end out of the system, - but it doesn’t have that “air” around the highs that I get with my Levinson/Merlin combination. On Diana Krall’s “all or nothing at all,” the hollow body guitar has more weight and body, - but Diana Krall’s vocal has less detail. One just does not hear all of her spits and lip pops and breathing that is evident through the speakers. I also hear a little less sustain from notes that seem to last longer through the speakers. Overall, I would characterize the HD600s/Corda as being smoother than my main system. Listening to Talvin Singh’s “Songs from the Asian Underground,” I find that the tabla attack on “Distant God” is much less aggressive than on my main system. The tabla on that song is very aggressive and bright, - you can picture the musician really smacking his fingers into the instrument. With the HD600/Corda system, the tabla is noticeably more mellow and you hear it much further in the backround, it simply is less “in your face.” This “laid back” character of the HD600s/Corda system may be largely due to the HD600s. Everything that I’ve read and heard about the Corda is that it is very neutral. Perhaps I need to hear the HD590? Of course, I recognize that there are those who may think that the solid state Corda is not laid back at all, - but aggressive and abrasive. I don’t want to argue the point beyond saying that the HD600/Corda system is darker than my main system.
As far as ease of use, comfort and build quality is concerned, - I consider the HD600/Corda system to be beyond reproach. There really isn’t much point in discussing the fact that the phones and amp are comfortable, durable, well constructed and will last a long time. One negative is that there’s no remote with the Corda, - but that’s a minor point, - especially considering the price. The Crossfeed feature is excellent and very quiet. On a very positive note, - the HD600 headphone cable detaches very easily for ease of replacement and if you happen to step on the cable.
FULL RANGE OR NO?: Sometimes listening to my main system with speakers, - I get a little thought that my system is inaccurate and too bright. Even though I like a lot of music that is perhaps intended to be aggressive and bright, - I get the feeling that I’m may be missing something. Perhaps as I move on, I may want to find a more “full range” system. Listening to systems in HiFi stores, - they are almost always more mellow and darker. Also, with some techno music that I listen to, - I get the feeling that the intention of the musician is to get out more bass than what my system is producing. As I listen more and more, I enjoy very much the detail that I achieve, - but can I get that same detail along with a more holographic soundstage and not possibly be missing some intended low end? As I ask myself these questions, - so too must I ask myself, should I keep my HD600s and get more full range main speakers? The answer is not an easy one. Finally, I do think that it’s pretty important to match up your headphone system to your main system. I can’t imagine anyone not being bothered by having each system sound different. I find myself listening and then all of a sudden finding that it’s late. In order to not disturb folks, - I shut off the Levinson and listen to my headphones. It’s more than a little disconcerting to hear something totally different than what was just heard a moment ago. I do not mean to say that I’m unhappy with my purchase of the HD600/Corda system, - I do mean to say that I’m a little unhappy with the disparity between my two systems.
Thanks for reading. And, I would appreciate very much your constructive criticisms of this review or any suggestions that you may have to help me achieve equality between my systems.

Nov 13, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 12
You can try out the Beyer DT931 (since your Corda has 120 ohm output), or AKG1000 if you think HD600 is a bit dark. Jan really likes the DT931 for comfort and sound especially with his gear.

Perhaps you should inquire about the DT931 with Jan. IMO, they don't give up anything in the low-end whatsoever, in fact I prefer it. However if you WANT unsoftened aggressive highs portrayed aggressively....you'll get it.

There are times when I wished all the stuff I have heard performed more similarly...and then there are times I realize I appreciate the differences.

Nov 13, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 12
We have a lot in common, check my profile.

Great review, thanks for your impressions. I also have Corda/Senn HD600/Clou Red Jaspis set-up, I use no crossfeed
setting as I hear no benefit with crossfeed and belive Corda is slightly more transparant with no crossfeed. Some people like crossfeed and find it more pleasing, I think it is very dependent on individual taste.

Definitely use 0 ohm output with Senn HD600, the 120 ohm will make the warm HD600 even warmer, 0 ohm gives more detail and control.

If you want more clarity/detail you need Sony CD3000 headphones to use with your higher quality recordings with
Corda 120 ohm output, keep the HD600 for your alt/rock/punk CDs that need more forgiving treble response. If you don't have
Clou red/blue jaspis cable yet for HD600, this is mandatory upgrade and does give slightly more open/detailed sound. Clou
cables are available from Headroom.

Nov 13, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Hi Dark Angel,

Wow, thanks a lot for your tips. I really appreciate it. I am a big Sennheiser fan and, - if at all possible, - would like to stick with their products. But the sound is the important thing. I don't see too many reviews/postings about the HD590s. But, your advice on the Clou cable sounds like it makes really good sense. I don't want to switch out the HD600s for something else until I explore all of the alternatives. Perhaps a bright interconnect will help. I really can't attest to the quality of the Tara Labs Prime interconnect that I'm using currently. I'm sure that there are more revealing interconnects out there.....

I'll listen without the crossfeed and see if I hear a difference. I tried the 0 ohm and the 120 and couldn't hear too much difference. I definitely have it plugged into the 0 ohm now. I'll listen more carefully.

Thanks again for your advice.....

Nov 14, 2001 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 12
If you play around with the 0 & 120 ohm outputs I find the difference to be easily heard, this is one of the most useful features a headphone amp can have IMO. I am sure you will find
you can hear leaner more detailed sound with 0 ohm output, the 120 ohm will be warmer more relaxed but this is not what you want with Senn HD600.

You can get Clou Blue Jaspis for $90 from Headroom, and you will definitely hear an improvement with HD600. You will have slightly more detailed/open treble/mid with noticeably deeper more powerful bass.

I use HomeGrown Silver Lace ICs (used to own HT ProSilway II)
and Absolute AC power cord (people from Audiogon know about this) with Corda, which connects to Record out RCAs of Musical Fidelity A3cr preamp. I was very happy with HD600 till I tried a Sony CD3000......now I own both!

Nov 14, 2001 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by sordidman
Listening to the headphones with the Corda’s crossfeed feature on its lowest setting I find the system to be substantially darker sounding than my main system. I get a much lower bass extension and the whole spectrum of music sounds much darker.

This is no doubt due to the HD600's themselves; if you can, try out the AKG K501's and compare. I have a feeling you'll prefer them.

Nov 14, 2001 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Hi,

Thanks again for all of the headphone suggestions and cable suggestions. Anyone compare the Clou Blue with the Clou Red?
Is the red substantially better, - more revealing- high end, - than the blue??

Thanks,

Nov 14, 2001 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Clou Red $120, Clou Blue $90 only difference is red has triple insulation and blue is only double insulated........I think it is hard to hear a difference, but the red looks very cool and only $30 more.

One warning, Clou cable is thicker/stiffer than stock cable, but this doesn't bother me at all. Also Clou is terminated with 1/4 plug only so you will have to use adaptor to connect to Corda 1/8 plug outlet. I have the Grado adaptor, but also use the one piece gold plated Radio Shack for $3 and can't hear any difference.

Nov 16, 2001 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 12
For ever so slightly more than the Red Clou's alone, you can get a pair of AKG-K501's. I strongly suspect you will find the air, definition, articulation, and soundstage you're looking for, with no fatigue.

Best of luck and happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 12
cool.gif
"In a lot of ways, I find now that this may be somewhat of a paltry ambition"
wink.gif

I respect your review for that comment alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back