REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #992 of 1,486
No, I didn't hear it in comparison with any other server, and can only compare it to my Marantz SA7-S1 CD player driving the same DAC. Of the two the Zenith is the more detailed and refined. My choice of server was based purely on the features the Innuos Zenith had to offer. In particular I wanted Roon Core functionality and the extra ethernet port and there doesn't seem to be many dedicated music servers offer both options.

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #993 of 1,486
No, I didn't hear it in comparison with any other server, and can only compare it to my Marantz SA7-S1 CD player driving the same DAC. Of the two the Zenith is the more detailed and refined. My choice of server was based purely on the features the Innuos Zenith had to offer. In particular I wanted Roon Core functionality and the extra ethernet port and there doesn't seem to be many dedicated music servers offer both options.

I agree with the above. I have no expertise at all, but my experiences with this may be helpful to some as we're all chasing the same things.

I trialled the Zenith Mk II for 3 weeks and I own the SE - mine is no 9 of 100 and I believe I was the first one to mention the device on here over on the Blu II thread. I also have a Melco N1-A, an Auralic Aries and a mRendu so have tried different ways of achieving a quality streaming solution, whilst never quite getting there to my satisfaction.

I think that a very important aspect of both the Melco and the Zenith is that they have both USB and Ethernet output. This means you can use one or the other or both depending upon your preference. It also means that you are future proofed to a degree if you prefer USB because you can switch and use an Ethernet endpoint if technology moves on and a better solution arrives further on down the line. That was my first criteria and one of the points that led me to get the Melco N1-A when they first came out.

Latterly, especially since getting the Blu II, the clarity and resolution of the BluDave combination has proven to me how much of an impediment noise and distortions of various persuasions are to achieving the maximum from my hardware, especially with the streaming solution because there are so many potential sources of noise in the eco structure. I use Roon and comparing my streaming options using the Melco, Aries and mRendu against the Blu CD playback proved that the noise introduced by the data travelling back and forth through my network was adversely affecting the sound quality. I had started to suspect this anyway and was already considering a Roon core server in order that I could run Roon direct into the system bypassing the round trip through the network. This proved the point to me, but I needed a Roon server with USB and Ethernet which led me to the Zenith. I am delighted with the SE and others who have tried it have told me that they too are very impressed, but the Mk II is also very good for roughly half the price. If there were no limited run SE, I would have bought the Mk II. (The SE has a better power supply but also internal wiring and chassis changes aimed at noise reduction and improved SQ).

I was initially considering the 3 little black box approach because of positive feedback on here, but given that eradicating noise and interference seems to be so key, I couldn't reconcile that objective with the introduction of 3 power supplies and all the extra cables and boxes into my system. Logic seemed to suggest that less may in fact be more, so I now have a four box total system which does everything I need whilst minimises boxes, cables and power supplies and, finally, sounds incredible through either headphones or speakers.

System comprises of: Zenith SE>Blu II>Dave>SPM1200 MkII power amp

This isn't meant as either a dig at any product or approach nor a promotion of one device or another, just a reflection of where I've ended up after a lot of trial and tribulation. Getting to this point has been a pain at times as each improvement has often highlighted other issues which need resolving. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it may be helpful to someone.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #994 of 1,486
Very helpful post, Malc, thanks.

Did you notice much difference between the Zenith SE and the Melco in terms of sound quality? You can certainly hear the improvement comparing the SE to standard Zenith. I’m not sure if this will come off but the dealer I bought the DAVE from, and will probably also buy the Blu Mk.2 from, is looking into whether he can get both the Zenith SE and the Melco N1ZS/2 for me to have on loan at the same time. I’m hoping there is not much to choose between them in terms of SQ, but the absence of a CD ripper and costing £3K more would lead you to expect that the Melco was the better sounding. I’m wondering if there is any audible benefit to be gained from the Melco’s (Buffalo’s) audio-grade SSDs, or if that is just marketing hype and the cheaper N1ZH/2 with hard drives would be just as good for SQ.

I know Melco does not have Roon but I am yet to try that and I understand it is coming to Melco.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #995 of 1,486

Did you notice much difference between the Zenith SE and the Melco in terms of sound quality? You can certainly hear the improvement comparing the SE to standard Zenith. I’m not sure if this will come off but the dealer I bought the DAVE from, and will probably also buy the Blu Mk.2 from, is looking into whether he can get both the Zenith SE and the Melco N1ZS/2 for me to have on loan at the same time. I’m hoping there is not much to choose between them in terms of SQ, but the absence of a CD ripper and costing £3K more would lead you to expect that the Melco was the better sounding. I’m wondering if there is any audible benefit to be gained from the Melco’s (Buffalo’s) audio-grade SSDs, or if that is just marketing hype and the cheaper N1ZH/2 with hard drives would be just as good for SQ.

I know Melco does not have Roon but I am yet to try that and I understand it is coming to Melco.

Just thought I would say the Melco does have a ripper function, you have to purchase an external CD drive, software in the Melco.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #997 of 1,486
Hi Clive. Yes, that would be an essential add-on, adding even more expense to buying a Melco, and I think they recommend a blu-ray drive with a good power supply.

Yes more expense £97.98 in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-BRXL-16U3-EU-External-Blu-ray-Drive/dp/B00BQTJ1DQ

But the good thing if the CD drive breaks just purchase another one if it were built in to the unit an expensive repair perhaps and all that postage and waiting..? You could also use it with your laptop ..?

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #998 of 1,486

The Zenith Mk II sounded notably better than my Melco N-1A and as you know, the SE is better again than the Zenith Mk II. The SE is really a different league to the Melco, but I have the entry level N-1A and comparison with a higher model such as you are considering would be fairer. The Zenith also has a much better control interface - a web browser which allows you to manage settings, update firmware, upload files, rip and edit CD's etc. as well as manage file playback and streaming. It also works very well with Roon and is able to run multi room and also apply EQ etc. I'm not sure whether it has the grunt for upscaling, especially multi room, but I never use that anyway as there is no need with BluDave.

I used the LUMIN app with my Melco and it worked well enough but it's not as good as having a dedicated app. I did find the lack of a Melco app to be frustrating to be honest. It has been 'coming soon' for over a year now so I hope you don't find similar with Roon. I'm not sure whether Roon can be run on the Melco operating system and there did seem to be some doubt about that when I looked into it. And I don't know whether the Melco would be powerful enough to run Roon - they don't seem to mention what processor capabilities are.

If you want to go the Roon route, and you probably will if you try it, then I'd go with the Zenith. If you don't care about Roon, then try them both and see which you prefer. I never had a single problem with my Melco, it was a solid and reliable performer and never once went missing on my network which can't be said for all devices.

I hope you are able to compare, it will be interesting to see which you prefer.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #999 of 1,486
A question for the dedicated server users (Zenith, Antipodes etc) who use Roon:

I'd like to connect a large-ish touch screen monitor to such a server to control Roon and everything else on the server. Rather than control such things from an ipad etc.
Does this work well?

From what I understand, a touch screen monitor requires a USB connection in addition to it's normal PC/hdmi connection. Therefore I think the server needs to have at least 2 USB sockets.

I've got used to having this all-in-one control of Roon on my laptop and want to continue that style for a dedicated server.
I'm too far away from the router to use an ethernet cable, and I've found that wifi slightly degrades SQ, as do routers in general.
I listen only to headphones, so I'm never very far away from my hifi rig, so no problem at all to walk over to a large monitor (I quite like those that can be adjusted to go almost horizontal).

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #1,000 of 1,486
Still a little confused, is roon remote not sufficient to run via iPhone,iPad,Mac book, or iMac or on a touchscreen?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,001 of 1,486
I don't know much about Roon Remote, but I think it's an app that runs on a separate smartphone/ipad etc to enable that remote thing to control Roon, so I doubt if its applicable to a Monitor directly connected to the server (Roon user guide implies this as far as I can tell).

I doubt if I would have a problem with a directly connected touch screen monitor to a Windows-based server. But these dedicated servers from Antipodes etc are heaily modified linux or highly proprietary OS, so it's that aspect in particular I'm worried about.

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,002 of 1,486
I took delivery of the Innuos Zenith SE last week...

I trialled the Zenith Mk II for 3 weeks and I own the SE...

Curious to know if either of you considered the Antipodes DX?

I've read the reviews and inquired with both designers... as I've narrowed my research down to these two servers... but don't have the opportunity to audition either. And now the DX Gen 3 has been released.

Was planning to add Roon Server to my NAS, then started to consider the forthcoming Roon Nucleus+.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,003 of 1,486
Curious to know if either of you considered the Antipodes DX?

I've read the reviews and inquired with both designers... as I've narrowed my research down to these two servers... but don't have the opportunity to audition either. And now the DX Gen 3 has been released.

I was planning to add Roon Server to my NAS, then started to consider the forthcoming Roon Nucleus+. Current system listed in signature below.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yes, I looked at it, but it was a USB output only, there is no Ethernet output. I ruled it out on that basis because I want both for flexibility in case things change in future and I wish to use an end point. I believe the latest models may have both now - not sure.

Edit - crikey, £9,600 for a 2 TB model, and USB output only. That's a lot of money to be locked in with no other options given the rate at which this technology is changing.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,004 of 1,486
Regarding the Zenith, and after reading the Innuos website/reviews, I'm still not clear on the inclusion of both LAN and Streamer connections.

Would I use the Streamer to make a direct connection to my Audio Alchemy DMP-1 (Roon Ready Player)? And if so, is there an advantage to that instead of using the LAN connection?

And yes... those DX prices are sobering.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,005 of 1,486
Regarding the Zenith, and after reading the Innuos website/reviews, I'm still not clear on the inclusion of both LAN and Streamer connections.

Would I use the Streamer to make a direct connection to my Audio Alchemy DMP-1 (Roon Ready Player)? And if so, is there an advantage to that instead of using the LAN connection?

And yes... those DX prices are sobering.

I'm not familiar with that item, but the USB output from Zenith connects directly to your DAC whilst the Ethernet output connects to a Roon end point (or even another server if you need more disk space in future). I assume that your DMP-1 is a Roon end point? The advantage is that the Ethernet output from the Zentith should be a lot less noisy than a typical LAN connection and also avoids a round trip through the router and back, which adds more noise.

I reckon that 80% of the sound quality of my own setup is down to the gear whilst 20% has come from eradicating noise/distortions. You can't hear the noise until you start to remove it, but the difference when you do can be substantial in terms of increased clarity, resolution and accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back