REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Nov 17, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #106 of 1,486

If you really want to experiment, get some of your favorite CDs treated with Essence of Music and then rip them. I won't go into the results as I may be ridiculed, but I think you will surprised.

Very interesting.  Sounds like snake oil but consistently good reviews.  I won't be against trying it.  Thanks for the tip.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #107 of 1,486
If you really want to experiment, get some of your favorite CDs treated with Essence of Music and then rip them. I won't go into the results as I may be ridiculed, but I think you will surprised.

No worries .. this is a very, very, very high end thread .. the only ridiculous thing one could do around here is to care about his money & time :D

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #108 of 1,486
  I agree, I have my share of ripped files that sound great and others that sound just ok so there seems to be issues with consistency.  A friend and I are currently experimenting with the different options that dBoweramp provides.  Also, while in theory, they should sound the same, we're not convinced there aren't differences between uncompressed FLAC, AIFF, WAV, etc.

I've been using windows media player/HP laptop to rip my CD's and have found downloads sound much better, does dBpoweramp produce rips that are equal to downloads? Cheers!

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #109 of 1,486
  I've been using windows media player/HP laptop to rip my CD's and have found downloads sound much better, does dBpoweramp produce rips that are equal to downloads? Cheers!

I think so.  I think they can both do a good job but dBpoweramp and other programs like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) have added measures to insure the integrity of the rip that justify their price.  I find there is often better consistency with these specialized programs.  When errors are encountered in the rip, for example, you are notified.  I find sometimes these errors don't lead to anything I can hear but at least it's nice to know.

What type of file you rip to can make a difference as well.  I now rip to uncompressed formats only (either AIFF, WAV or uncompressed FLAC) because these types of files are less taxing on the CPU during playback.  Since many high end servers use low power CPUs or at least de-throttled ones, this can make a difference with these types of servers.  

While I don't make a habit of downloading files I already own on CD or vice versa, I have done some limited testing out of curiousity and my more recent CD rips using dBpoweramp for sure sound indistinguishable from a download, even with blind testing.  Unfortunately, because I have a large music library, some of my older rips are clearly not as good but I haven't yet decided if I want to re-rip my library.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #110 of 1,486
  I think so.  I think they can both do a good job but dBpoweramp and other programs like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) have added measures to insure the integrity of the rip that justify their price. 

[/...]

While I don't make a habit of downloading files I already own on CD or vice versa, I have done some limited testing out of curiousity and my more recent CD rips using dBpoweramp for sure sound indistinguishable from a download, even with blind testing.  Unfortunately, because I have a large music library, some of my older rips are clearly not as good but I haven't yet decided if I want to re-rip my library.

This is also where I sit. I've got a fairly dependable and stable ripping set up now, but can I justify going back and BUYING back old CDs to re-rip them? So far I haven't been able to sell myself on that. Too much time involved and too much new music to enjoy. But damn, the old stuff is good too...

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #111 of 1,486
Romaz, you may find a bigger difference hooking up your server to an Entreq grounding box than switching servers. 

I already have a Silver Minimus connected to my DAC and server, but an audiophile lent me the top of line Olympus Minimus.

I wish I'd never heard it, because the leap in musicality and noise reduction means theres no going back.

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #112 of 1,486
  Romaz, you may find a bigger difference hooking up your server to an Entreq grounding box than switching servers. 

I already have a Silver Minimus connected to my DAC and server, but an audiophile lent me the top of line Olympus Minimus.

I wish I'd never heard it, because the leap in musicality and noise reduction means theres no going back.

I hear you.  Around the time these servers became available for review, an Entreq Poseidon with a mix of Atlantis and Apollo cables also became available for me courtesy of Stillpoints, the U.S. distributor for Entreq.  As you may know, a Poseidon is the equivalent of three Olympus Minimus boxes. I have each of the TotalDac monobloc DAC boxes connected via Atlantis Eartha cables to a binding post on the Poseidon and any one of the music servers connected via Apollo cable to the 3rd binding post.  The whole presentation takes on more weight and for the HE-1000, this is a very good thing.  It makes everything that is good about your system that much better and adds nothing that is bad.  Noise floor is noticeably lower.  Dynamics have that much more snap.  Details sound clearer.  Midrange has more substance.  Treble has that much more air.  Bass just seems tighter.  What is even more startling is what happens when you disconnect the Entreq box and then you more fully realize what the Entreq was doing.  What you previously thought was so wonderful sounds so flat and dull in comparison.  As you said, once you are exposed to this leap in musicality and noise reduction, it's very hard to go back.

As to your comment about not needing to upgrade your current server by using an Entreq box instead, yes, I agree that an Entreq box can give your current setup new life because the Entreqs make you realize you were never tapping your current system's full potential.  Problem is, should you try a better server and connect that to an Entreq box, it seems the benefits are magnified even more than with lesser equipment.  And the more of your components that you ground, the greater the cumulative effect -- it's almost unbelievable.  You can see the dilemma.  

If there was ever any doubt about the importance of good power and grounding, the Entreq will remove those doubts.  Most just don't realize how much ground noise their components, both digital and analog, generate and pass along to the next component and ultimately to your headphones or speakers.  There are so many minor tweaks you can add to your system but in the end, that's all they are.  The Entreq doesn't belong in the category of minor tweak as far as I'm concerned.  It is at the level of a component upgrade.  Unfortunately, they cost as much as a major component. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #113 of 1,486
I have been reading about the Entreq grounding solution for some time, my good friend tells me how it has been a major upgrade for his system. Are you using the grounding systems in conjunction with other power supply equipment?

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #114 of 1,486
"Problem is, should you try a better server and connect that to an Entreq box, it seems the benefits are magnified even more than with lesser equipment"

As you are aware Roy, I'm a fully paid up Member on the benefits of Entreq Grounding.
Members reading your comments can rest assured that the Entreq Grounding has beneficial effects at all price levels.
My recommendation to all, try it !!

As Roy states, the effect is pronounced when removed from the system. More so than on initial audition as the effects build up slowly.

Also,take a look at Entreq's new  Rack - The Athena.(particularly metal Rack owners!!)

and Roy, start a new Thread, I think more will take your advice(than mine)!

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #115 of 1,486
  "Problem is, should you try a better server and connect that to an Entreq box, it seems the benefits are magnified even more than with lesser equipment"

As you are aware Roy, I'm a fully paid up Member on the benefits of Entreq Grounding.
Members reading your comments can rest assured that the Entreq Grounding has beneficial effects at all price levels.
My recommendation to all, try it !!

As Roy states, the effect is pronounced when removed from the system. More so than on initial audition as the effects build up slowly.

Also,take a look at Entreq's new  Rack - The Athena.(particularly metal Rack owners!!)

and Roy, start a new Thread, I think more will take your advice(than mine)!

Thanks for chiming in, David.  You should change your name to "britgiveadvice" since you are the Entreq authority here and it was your advice that led me to try this grounding box.  The concept of signal grounding is a foreign concept for many of us here in the U.S. partly because Entreq is based in Sweden and doesn't really advertise here.  To make things worse, those homely looking wood boxes can be an eyesore for some.  The word is slowly getting out though.  Synergistic Research, a U.S. company, now has a similar grounding box.  CAD is also coming out with their own grounding box.  I'm also beginning to see DIY grounding boxes advertised from Asia.  Stillpoints, the U.S. distributor for Entreq, is more than willing to lend out a unit and cables for free evaluation.  I understand the much larger dealer network in Europe offers the same opportunity and so I would agree with your recommendation to try it for yourself but with one caveat.  Try only what you're willing to buy because there's a good chance that once you try it, you won't want to give it up.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #116 of 1,486
  I have been reading about the Entreq grounding solution for some time, my good friend tells me how it has been a major upgrade for his system. Are you using the grounding systems in conjunction with other power supply equipment?

Yes, even in my system with a dedicated line, power conditioner, and RFI/EMI filters the Entreq Olympus makes a staggering difference. 

All the noise you didn't know was there until's gone.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #117 of 1,486

Grounding systems are only a piece of the pie and can't substitute for good mains power, quality power supplies and cables but the impact with signal grounding is no less significant and can sometimes even be more profound.  You probably have as good a power infrastructure as anyone here on head-fi with your Shunyata setup.  I have an Audience setup along with a mix of various power supplies and cables that is presently being tweaked.  I have been fortunate to have been able to find most of my cabling used since the price for a good cord can be obscenely expensive.  There are head-fiers here that also are capable of making their own cabling and my experience with some of these cables, especially those made by @paul79 has been superb.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #118 of 1,486
   I have an Audience setup along with a mix of various power supplies and cables that is presently being tweaked.  I have been fortunate to have been able to find most of my cabling used since the price for a good cord can be obscenely expensive.  There are head-fiers here that also are capable of making their own cabling and my experience with some of these cables, especially those made by @paul79 has been superb.

Romaz, I have Audience AU24se power cords in my system and have stopped looking for anything else. They are obscenely expensive, even used.

If you are using a headphone setup, you can look into the Vertex AQ JSA headphone conditioner.

I first thought using my Naim NDX only as a server was overkill, but looking at these server prices, I guess it isn't!

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #119 of 1,486
Thanks very much Roy! Very glad to hear the cables are doing it for you  :wink:   You have an email coming soon about the Clock Link....

I too know how important grounding is in a digital system, and taking care here can make or break your outcome! Most definitely.....  However, these Entreq boxes have me very interested. I guess it is time to contact Stillpoints for a demo....

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #120 of 1,486

Romaz, I have Audience AU24se power cords in my system and have stopped looking for anything else. They are obscenely expensive, even used.

If you are using a headphone setup, you can look into the Vertex AQ JSA headphone conditioner.

I first thought using my Naim NDX only as a server was overkill, but looking at these server prices, I guess it isn't!

Like the AU24SE do you??  :) As you should. They are some of the best power cables on the planet. However, for a different perspective on what can be accomplished with a power cable, you should try the new Power Chord Ei  (i for improved). Keep the SE on your digital gear for sure, but do try the Ei on your analog equipment, amps, preamp, etc..... They are astonishingly good here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back