REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Nov 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #62 of 1,486
  http://www.audiostream.com/content/melco-n1a-high-resolution-digital-music-library

Wow, Paul.  Very interesting.  Even more interesting is the price.

Michael said it nudged the Antipodes DX which is saying a lot but it's hard to say just how good it is because he didn't offer any comparisons to anything I am direclty familiar with.  Michael is familiar with the TotalDac server and so I have asked him his thoughts against that server.  @isquirrel used to own the Antipodes DX but he found the CAD CAT to be better and so he sold his Antipodes for the CAT.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #64 of 1,486
  http://www.audiostream.com/content/melco-n1a-high-resolution-digital-music-library

My mistake, Michael said it nudged the Antipodes DS and not the DX which is quite a step below the DX.  This would make more sense for the asking price.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #68 of 1,486
  Eliminate the Server, eliminate the NAS, both with stuff made for audio. You can even use this as a NAS, which could prove interesting in the Totaldac configuration even.

Would love to hear what you think either against or with the TotalDac server!

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #69 of 1,486
  Michaels eval of the Totaldac Server was in its infancy at best. It has come quite a ways since then.

I agree.  He even had trouble getting it to work properly from what I remember.  His partner, Steve Plaskin reviewed it favorably when he reviewed the monoblocs but then to say it was better than his Mac Mini doesn't say much.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #71 of 1,486
  I agree.  He even had trouble getting it to work properly from what I remember.  His partner, Steve Plaskin reviewed it favorably when he reviewed the monoblocs but then to say it was better than his Mac Mini doesn't say much.

Right. The Totaldac Server didn't make greatest bits, if you notice. Using linear supplies on the Router and NAS make all the difference for the Totaldac. If you don't do this, you won't get much great out of it. I will admit this, but using the Hynes Supplies for Router and NAS made a TREMENDOUS improvement to the Totaldac. Not subtle at all.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #73 of 1,486
  You really love the HE1000 Roy! Thanks for your thoughts. I've found a pair in the UK for a good price, I'll probably nab them and see how they fare when powered by the Moon 600i, which easily fills the requirement of punch and power (it's a beast)...

Dual-mono design; the L/R channels are powered independently; a (custom) transformer for each. If it can't drive the HEK to their maximum, nothing can :¬) Its a very transparent amplifier, one of it's many strengths being dynamic power and agility. A TOTL headphone amp for DAC Jam :¬)

Yoga, the Moon 600i is indeed impressive, but.... it is a speaker amp, NOT a headphone amp !  --> How do you plan to use it (connect it) with the HE1000 ?

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #74 of 1,486
Let me further clarify, I modded my Antipodes DX to see how far I could take it, I swapped out the standard computer Sata cables and replaced them with Audio Grade ones from the same guys that make JPlay. http://jplay.eu/jcat/

The Antipodes was put on a HRS MX3R isolation base, the std metal "button" feet were taken of and HRS footers were used and finally, as the case shell was quite resonant, I placed 2 of the largest HRS damping plates. I replaced the fuses with Synergistic RED fuses and listened for direction. Finally Synergistic Research ECT's were placed on various ICU and switching devices internally. Antipodes had modded my DX for me before it left the factory and removed the internal fuses by placing silver wire across the fuse terminals

I have attached 2 photos, one showing how the DX was setup externally and another internal image showing the small switch mode power supply etc.

Now when I compare the DX internally to the CAT internals and seperate power supply I find a substantial difference. The DX sounded substantially better than my MacBook Pro with Audiophilleo AP1 & Pure Power supply which converted USB to SPDIF. It has a pleasant rich sound, the control software is okay however it is Linux based and so I trimmed the running modules substantially, under the guidance of the guys from Antipodes, which as I didn't need a DLNA server I just needed the minimum configuration to be able to connect USB directly to the DAC. All of my music fits were stored on the DX's internal storage a 2TB SSD.

I think if you know anything about computers and power supplies the photos tell the story. After all these mods the unit sounded considerably better than it did when it first arrived and I would say it is a good sounding unit and for most people would be just the ticket. But as always my disease got me and I wanted to explore more. More is what I got from the CAT.

I sold the DX to a good friend of mine who also has my Light Harmonic DaVinci DAC he had used a Antipodes DS prior to the DX so for him it was a no brainer until he stayed with me for a few days and heard the CAT and the DX in the same system at the same time. He sold his DX not long after and has bought a CAT, which I am working on at the moment to go out to him early next week, perhaps then he will post his impressions.

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #75 of 1,486
  Let me further clarify, I modded my Antipodes DX to see how far I could take it, I swapped out the standard computer Sata cables and replaced them with Audio Grade ones from the same guys that make JPlay. http://jplay.eu/jcat/

The Antipodes was put on a HRS MX3R isolation base, the std metal "button" feet were taken of and HRS footers were used and finally, as the case shell was quite resonant, I placed 2 of the largest HRS damping plates. I replaced the fuses with Synergistic RED fuses and listened for direction. Finally Synergistic Research ECT's were placed on various ICU and switching devices internally. Antipodes had modded my DX for me before it left the factory and removed the internal fuses by placing silver wire across the fuse terminals

I have attached 2 photos, one showing how the DX was setup externally and another internal image showing the small switch mode power supply etc.

Now when I compare the DX internally to the CAT internals and seperate power supply I find a substantial difference. The DX sounded substantially better than my MacBook Pro with Audiophilleo AP1 & Pure Power supply which converted USB to SPDIF. It has a pleasant rich sound, the control software is okay however it is Linux based and so I trimmed the running modules substantially, under the guidance of the guys from Antipodes, which as I didn't need a DLNA server I just needed the minimum configuration to be able to connect USB directly to the DAC. All of my music fits were stored on the DX's internal storage a 2TB SSD.

I think if you know anything about computers and power supplies the photos tell the story. After all these mods the unit sounded considerably better than it did when it first arrived and I would say it is a good sounding unit and for most people would be just the ticket. But as always my disease got me and I wanted to explore more. More is what I got from the CAT.

I sold the DX to a good friend of mine who also has my Light Harmonic DaVinci DAC he had used a Antipodes DS prior to the DX so for him it was a no brainer until he stayed with me for a few days and heard the CAT and the DX in the same system at the same time. He sold his DX not long after and has bought a CAT, which I am working on at the moment to go out to him early next week, perhaps then he will post his impressions.

Incredibly impressive efforts, Simon.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back