REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender N10, CAD CAT server, TotalDac d1-Server, Auralic Aries, Audiophile Vortex Box
Jul 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #496 of 1,486
  That is interesting about the i2S riser board for an RPi.. if you could provide some links for details it would be appreciated.

IanCanada is also working on one and may now be in testing: https://twitter.com/iancanadaTT
I would think though that any i2S output from the RPi would require some type of isolation and IIUC reclocking is also desirable.

Well it's still unofficial, a project being worked on in a "skunkworks" type scenario by DiDiT, but they are seriously clever guys and I have no doubt they'll be able to pull it off. I understand they're working on a firmware update to the DAC212XLR that will auto-sense the incoming I2S over hdmi pin configuration and auto-adjust accordingly.  Pretty cool.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #497 of 1,486

Well it's still unofficial, a project being worked on in a "skunkworks" type scenario by DiDiT, but they are seriously clever guys and I have no doubt they'll be able to pull it off. I understand they're working on a firmware update to the DAC212XLR that will auto-sense the incoming I2S over hdmi pin configuration and auto-adjust accordingly.  Pretty cool.

Can you post a link to this DiDiT "skunkworks" project?  DiDiT in the US is some marketing firm on social media.
Thanks

paul

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #499 of 1,486

The I2S device is completely off the books at the moment (not sure I should even have mentioned it :) ).  Here's their website though... https://www.didit-highend.com/

That's a gorgeous looking DAC unit.

Jul 11, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #500 of 1,486
  That's a gorgeous looking DAC unit.

Yeah I agree.  Sounds great too
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #501 of 1,486
Not sure where to put this, but I know many of the people here are into this; power.

Just installed a SurgeX 2213 power conditioner in my home studio (top stuff) and the difference is big! Much more clarity, air and soundstage. Incredibly happy.

The best bit - £255 on Amazon (when in stock). I've tried audiophile options costing far more than that (and not found them worth it).

A bit of a bargain :¬)

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #502 of 1,486
  Not sure where to put this, but I know many of the people here are into this; power.

Just installed a SurgeX 2213 power conditioner in my home studio (top stuff) and the difference is big! Much more clarity, air and soundstage. Incredibly happy.

The best bit - £255 on Amazon (when in stock). I've tried audiophile options costing far more than that (and not found them worth it).

A bit of a bargain :¬)

That's a bargain for what it has brought to your home studio.  Will have to keep this model in mind.  Congrats!

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #503 of 1,486
I do like a bargain, but when I looked at amazon.co.uk just now, it's there for £495, i.e. double the price above
frown.gif
The model is SurgeX 2213RL Not sure if the RL bit makes a difference.
I've added it to my wish list anyway, as I do need more quality mains outputs.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #504 of 1,486
I have now burned in and listen to the microRendu with both the Ifi Power and the MCRU power supply (with silver cable and fuse upgrade). To me the microRendu (Roon RAAT output) with the Ifi Power was a nice upgrade to my JCAT USB board with JCAT battery power supply connected to my Offramp 5 on most aspects. The sound difference was essentially; clearer and more open overall sound and a bit stronger bass. I distinguished also that the sound got a little bit harder and less smooth, especially in the treble, but also in other frequencies.

When I got the MCRU power supply it only took one day before it sound much better than the Ifi. After more burn in and listening to the microRendu and MCRU combo the SQ improved further in all sonic ways. The sound get even clearer, faster, opener, resolving, and the bass even stronger. The sound additionally, and very important to me, got fuller, richer, smoother and more organic. The earlier small bit of hardness I hard with the Ifi was totally gone. The sound really got better, much better even, with the MCRU power supply to me and with my gear.  

In short: The mR with the Ifi was a nice upgrade from my PC that I have used together with JCAT USB + battery power. However to me the mR with the Ifi was just a teaser on what the mR can sound like with a better power supply like the MCRU.

Please keep in mind that I use a tube DAC, those are normally very sensitive to all form of pollution from other gear (which are backlashing noises to the mains power) and that I use a PC in the same room to store and play audio files. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #505 of 1,486
@Articnoise

can you post the exact configuration for your MCRU power supply?
thanks

paul

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #506 of 1,486
  I have now burned in and listen to the microRendu with both the Ifi Power and the MCRU power supply (with silver cable and fuse upgrade). To me the microRendu (Roon RAAT output) with the Ifi Power was a nice upgrade to my JCAT USB board with JCAT battery power supply connected to my Offramp 5 on most aspects. The sound difference was essentially; clearer and more open overall sound and a bit stronger bass. I distinguished also that the sound got a little bit harder and less smooth, especially in the treble, but also in other frequencies.

When I got the MCRU power supply it only took one day before it sound much better than the Ifi. After more burn in and listening to the microRendu and MCRU combo the SQ improved further in all sonic ways. The sound get even clearer, faster, opener, resolving, and the bass even stronger. The sound additionally, and very important to me, got fuller, richer, smoother and more organic. The earlier small bit of hardness I hard with the Ifi was totally gone. The sound really got better, much better even, with the MCRU power supply to me and with my gear.  

In short: The mR with the Ifi was a nice upgrade from my PC that I have used together with JCAT USB + battery power. However to me the mR with the Ifi was just a teaser on what the mR can sound like with a better power supply like the MCRU.

Please keep in mind that I use a tube DAC, those are normally very sensitive to all form of pollution from other gear (which are backlashing noises to the mains power) and that I use a PC in the same room to store and play audio files. 

you might want to try NAA mode.  i don't have roon but NAA mode is a huge improvement over MPD in my system

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #507 of 1,486
  @Articnoise

can you post the exact configuration for your MCRU power supply?
thanks

paul

This is what I ordered Paul.

Model MCRU: microRendu 7V DC 

Cable Up-Grades: Pure Silver DC Cabling

Fuse Up-Grades: Synergistic Research Fuse

Mains Lead: MCRU Asylum Power Lead (will try it against some of my other power chords one day)  

The MCRU is good but to sound better, or even much better, than an Ifi wall wart is probably not super hard and I guess most well done LPS’s will do that. If you think about it (not aiming especially at you Paul), would you seriously use the Ifi or a similar devise to power any other of your audio gear?

That the very inexpensive Ifi together with the mR can deliver sound as good as it does is a feat. I can definitely recommend the Ifi as a good temporary solution.  

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #508 of 1,486

you might want to try NAA mode.  i don't have roon but NAA mode is a huge improvement over MPD in my system

Yes I have used the HQP desktop for more than a year and I have been very impressed by the SQ, so I will definitely try the NAA mode in Roon one day. Right now I just enjoy listen to music thru my system.  

*My first encounter with the HQP (Posts 948) http://www.head-fi.org/t/625793/audio-gd-master-7-discrete-fully-balanced-dac-pcm1704/2685

I liked your impressions of the mR + NAA at CA btw. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #510 of 1,486
  I do like a bargain, but when I looked at amazon.co.uk just now, it's there for £495, i.e. double the price above
frown.gif
The model is SurgeX 2213RL Not sure if the RL bit makes a difference.
I've added it to my wish list anyway, as I do need more quality mains outputs.

Yes I noticed that too (I want another for my headphone rig).

Well spotted, I was set the wrong model. Need to contact the seller and get it changed. Not sure of the other features of the RL would me a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back