Review coming soon.....ALO Au/Ag vs Silvercab-Pro and iQube vs. Diablo (pics!)
Mar 15, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 76
I find it rather amusing that while the Diablo drew so much flak over the last few threads, someone still pushes ahead with a "Diablo Review Coming!" topic, which is obviously going to encourage more of this "mob lynching" onto himself? So whats the point of this thread?

For the record, I have done some brief impressions of the diablo couple months back for a bunch of local friends here...

Also, till this day, I know of 5 people who have ordered the Diablo(including myself), and 2 are still left in the lurch. I don't know what kind of contact you are in with him, but responding to emails is definitely not the same as actually receiving a product from him, regardless of what has been said in the email.

Besides, if Duncan over at ipas has given up on the his very own pet project, it has got to say something doesn't it?

Personally, I'd say, go ahead and post whatever review you want when you are done with it, but please leave disclaimer in bold.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me one customer that has bought from Larry in the recent past and decided to purchase another amp from him.

Probably none. Who cares if it's worth the hassle or not. Don't speak for anybody, speak for yourself. If YOU didn't have any issues, would YOU be hesitant to buy from him again? This would go for ANY retailer. It doesn't really matter if anybody else had a bad experience or a good experience, if YOU had a good experience, YOU wouldn't hesitate to buy again. I have no problems with Larry or his communication, and I AM not hesitating to buy from him in the near future. That's is MY OWN experience. For others it may differ, and they can recommend accordingly, but I'm speaking FOR MYSELF.

But it still doesn't dismiss the fact that there should be information on this amp, good or bad, rather than parrot-like response so many give "avoid it, it's not worth your time or effort...". Who are you to say it shouldn't be? I'm not condoning his behavior, nor do I have no sympathy for those who have lost money (regardless of it may look, I do have sympathy for those people), but a product is a product, isn't anybody curious on the outcome of such a controversial piece?

Some more reasoning behind it? Other than the bad deal aspect, WHY should that person avoid it? If YOU (not you specifically, but generally speaking) have no answer, I guess YOU could be grouped in the same category as the "I'm recommending this, but never heard it..." group.
eek.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fongalv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it rather amusing that while the Diablo drew so much flak over the last few threads, someone still pushes ahead with a "Diablo Review Coming!" topic, which is obviously going to encourage more of this "mob lynching" onto himself? So whats the point of this thread?

For the record, I have done some brief impressions of the diablo couple months back for a bunch of local friends here...

Also, till this day, I know of 5 people who have paid up for the Diablo(including myself), and 2 are still left in the lurch. I don't know what kind of contact you are in with him, but responding to emails is definitely not the same as actually receiving a product from him, regardless of what has been said in the email.

Besides, if Duncan over at ipas has given up on the his very own pet project, it has got to say something doesn't it?

Personally, I'd say, go ahead and post whatever review you want when you are done with it, but please leave disclaimer in bold.

Exactly, you were posting a review, not encouraging people to buy the amp. It's no different, as I would have posted the same type of disclaimer above like you did. Rather, it truly shows which people have both an agenda against myself and/or LaRocco. Difference is, there's MUCH MORE traffic here than on your link, which many people feel "obligated" to push whatever they have going on on to the "noobs" and calling it "protection".

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably none. Who cares if it's worth the hassle or not.

Uh, what?

Quote:

It doesn't really matter if anybody else had a bad experience or a good experience, if YOU had a good experience, YOU wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

Not too many YOU's in Larry's case (see above).

Quote:

I have no problems with Larry or his communication, and I AM not hesitating to buy from him in the near future. That's is MY OWN experience.

You mean the experience you didn't have since you didn't buy anything from him?

Quote:

isn't anybody curious on the outcome of such a controversial piece?

Yes, it's like watching car wreck, except that it's not funny if you're sitting in the car.

Quote:

Some more reasoning behind it? Other than the bad deal aspect, WHY should that person avoid it?

That is a deeply philosophical question. Let me think about it.

Quote:

If YOU (not you specifically, but generally speaking) have no answer, I guess YOU could be grouped in the same category as the "I'm recommending this, but never heard it..." group.
eek.gif

I have owned a Larocco product before, which is why I'm so outspoken about it. Don't make assumptions.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

A bit on the extremist side aren't you? I like words like "extending your trust"....really conveys the point you're trying to make.

Quite frankly, the point I'm trying to make is that you are arrogant and selfish (I had a few other words but I didn't want to have to ban myself). What is it about "extending your trust" you don't understand. People sent this guy $400to $500 dollars, some 2 years before they ever saw their amp, which was as likely to be broken as not. The point of this is that know one should extend their trust to him again. The point of this is that he shouldn't get free press over here after what he did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn
Well in reality, everybody IS for themselves. Selfish? Not really, it's reality and I'm not diluting that fact. Nobody is going to stop you from purchasing anything (outside of the HP world included) simply because somebody told you not to. You can take opinions and information and make YOUR OWN DECISIONS. It's part of being a grown-up, that you make your own choices with the information presented to you. Whether you make a good or bad decision is your prerogative, and comes with the responsibility of being able to make those choices. I guess it's my libertarian side showing through.
rolleyes.gif
It's not infringing on any body's rights, why should it matter to you what ANYBODY is doing? There's a difference between forewarning people and outright having a reenactment of 'V for Vendetta' of "for your protection".
rolleyes.gif

I'm fully aware of the sense of community this place has, and I've been on both the receiving and giving end of both this forum and other communities both on and off the internet.

Again, pointing out that you are selfish and your belief is screw everyone else. If you were really aware of the "sense of community" you would understand why people feel so strongly about this. It's you inability to either understand or care that is making so many angry. Yes, people should be responsible for their own actions as you should be for insisting on helping to promote a product with the history this one has.

Quote:

But really, what is it with people NOT wanting to hear anything having to do with this amp? People have no qualms about hearing about somebody wanting a PRII or reviews of it, what's the difference? Same manufacturer and pretty close to the same amount of money. Why? Because they didn't get burned on THAT amp? Gimme a break. If it's a bad amp, people can choose not to buy it, as they do with anything. You don't like the Metro Chevy offers, don't buy it. But that gives you no right to hold disdain for the ENTIRE GM corporation based on one product of a plethora they put out.

Are you that dense? I for one would rather not hear about any product from Larry. I don't want to hear about the PRII, Diablo or any other product he makes. What he did was despicable. It's not a matter for me of stopping people from buying it, it is stopping people from buying because they read about it on Head-Fi. I don't think he should have the opportunity to receive praise on this website after what he did. By the way, I heard the Diablo for a while, compared to bunch of other portables and it wasn't so good.

Quote:

Like anything, people have varying degrees of customer satisfaction. Yeah, it's a damn shame most people got burned, but many didn't. You're telling me simply because people got the bad end of the stick, they shouldn't at all be curious about what the hype was over? Good or bad? You act Like you know exactly how I'm going to review it, and that's it's going to get a glowing review. Well, if it's that good, doesn't the community deserve to know it is, but it's at the expense of risking money? Or on the other hand, it does what was intended by people censoring things, "move along, nothing to see here...". If that's not censorship that some people frequently talk about, that surely is a finely ridden line. In either case, it's a better thing for the community by having another review, whether it be good or bad.

You think this is about "varying degrees of customer satisfaction"? Do you really believe that's what happened here, a few people didn't get the service they should have? How many times do you have to hear the stories of what he did. I'm telling people what they should or shouldn't be curious about. I'm say, again, that Larry shouldn't have any opportunity of getting any favorable press on Head-Fi. Do you get it yet? Censorship? You bet. You left your right to free speech at the door when you walked through the door and entered a privately owned website.

Quote:

Again, I completely understand where you're coming from, but isn't it a bit obnoxious to completely act like it's never happened? I'm not saying "screw everybody", but it seems to be a bit more like a political battle rather than genuine concern for the community that most people are dealing with. Again, you yourself a couple posts back said it SHOULD be posted so people can see what it really is like...wouldn't it be better for the community to have more reviews out there? Foot in my mouth eh?

If you completely understood where I was coming from you wouldn't have to ask the second part of that sentence. You are saying screw everybody, it's their problem. You've said it over and over again. When I said it should be posted it was followed by stating so people can do just as they are doing in this thread. Foot in your mouth, oh yeah.

Quote:

Rather, it truly shows which people have both an agenda against myself and/or LaRocco.

I think you might finally be getting it.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned a Larocco product before, which is why I'm so outspoken about it. Don't make assumptions.

Can you not read between parenthesis? Didn't I say not YOU specifically and generally speaking? I made no assumptions that you did or didn't own a larocco item. Go back and read....I didn't say anything of the sort, and even CLARIFIED, lol. wow.

As for the "you's" to Larry, do YOU know specifically how many people ordered Diablo's to the exact number and how many people got them? And you're saying I'm the one making assumptions?

Lastly, I never said anything about purchasing. I CLEARLY SAID EVERY TIME, I had no issues with the communication, which people ARE having problems with. Which, some people aren't even getting. I guess it's one of those reading things again eh?

Obviously, in case you can't read between the lines, that means thus far I've personally had no issues him, even if I'm just communicating via eMail, which AGAIN (so it's CLEAR TO YOU) is something MOST people aren't even getting. So why wouldn't I be inclined to say good things about MY EXPERIENCES with him if they've been quick and timely?

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #37 of 76
for anyone considering buying from larocco audio I urge you to go and visit ipod & portable audio studio and read through a few of the threads there.

I wouldn't touch one of these amp new OR second hand with a barge pole.

With the amps that are available these are just not worth taking a risk over, in my opinion, and I wouldn't like to see other people, who have probably sacrificed some other expenditure or saved up for the puchase to either get burned if buying new, or quite frankly, buyin a potentially unreliable and sub par put togther amp second hand.

I also question the reasoning behind allowing this review, who cares what it sounds like, after reaing the history on ipastudios I doubt anyone would want one.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #38 of 76
I rest my case with two quotes by Popper:

"Irrationalism will use reason too, but without any feeling of obligation."

“No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude.”

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Lastly, I never said anything about purchasing. I CLEARLY SAID EVERY TIME, I had no issues with the communication, which people ARE having problems with. Which, some people aren't even getting. I guess it's one of those reading things again eh?

There is certainly value in having a review of the product. But any review worth reading should also disclose those issues that may influence/bias the review (or at least give the appearance thereof). You have disclosed how you received the amp, which is helpful. I assume you'll also mention the well-documented problems people have experienced with the manufacturer and that you were able to bypass those unfortunate circumstances.

EDIT: Meaning that you will disclose these facts in the body of the review, not in the accompanying thread.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite frankly, the point I'm trying to make is that you are arrogant and selfish (I had a few other words but I didn't want to have to ban myself). What is it about "extending your trust" you don't understand. People sent this guy $400to $500 dollars, some 2 years before they ever saw their amp, which was as likely to be broken as not. The point of this is that know one should extend their trust to him again. The point of this is that he shouldn't get free press over here after what he did.

Are you serious? So, you're telling me you weren't aware of the fact that it's a risk involved when pre-ordering something and paying in full? Although I don't have the specifics on hand, isn't the same thing happening with the Westone3? People pre-ordered and over one year from now have nothing in hand? It's a risk you take. And if you gave him money WHEN YOU FULL WELL KNEW HE WAS SHODDY TO BEGIN WITH, that is infact, a funny, but sad story of a fool and his money. Obviously at the time, if you knew of his history, you felt compelled enough to pre-order despite his history.

Quote:

Again, pointing out that you are selfish and your belief is screw everyone else. If you were really aware of the "sense of community" you would understand why people feel so strongly about this. It's you inability to either understand or care that is making so many angry. Yes, people should be responsible for their own actions as you should be for insisting on helping to promote a product with the history this one has.

Sense of community? Well if you're really for the community, why aren't you inviting to the idea of more information being given? Obviously bad press will more than do what you intended rather than leaving people the curiosity in mind. You're being a hypocrite by saying you're only censoring profane language, obscene actions and things getting out of hand, rather than a legitimate review of a product, no matter how ill its past is. Do you really have THAT BIG of a jaded opinion where you're willing to compromise the sanctity of non-biased reviews? Sad as it may be, because it shows, you're not open minded much to anything else if the possibly is here for the "cause" of your agenda by making him look bad....

Quote:

Are you that dense? I for one would rather not hear about any product from Larry. I don't want to hear about the PRII, Diablo or any other product he makes. What he did was despicable. It's not a matter for me of stopping people from buying it, it is stopping people from buying because they read about it on Head-Fi. I don't think he should have the opportunity to receive praise on this website after what he did. By the way, I heard the Diablo for a while, compared to bunch of other portables and it wasn't so good.

So if it's only so so, why are you scared of a review that may very well say the same thing as your portion of that post? Why aren't you jumping down peoples throats whenever you hear about a PRII? Me dense? If you could get it past your close-minded attitude, you would see that, but you'd rather keep it censored, and hypocritically keep information hidden rather than possible bad press. You say the mods don't censor, but when even the SLIGHTEST variance from YOUR beliefs, you go throwing a moderator fist in the air talking about a private website and giving up the very same free speech that you say you allow as long as it's not vulgar.

Quote:

You think this is about "varying degrees of customer satisfaction"? Do you really believe that's what happened here, a few people didn't get the service they should have? How many times do you have to hear the stories of what he did. I'm telling people what they should or shouldn't be curious about. I'm say, again, that Larry shouldn't have any opportunity of getting any favorable press on Head-Fi. Do you get it yet? Censorship? You bet. You left your right to free speech at the door when you walked through the door and entered a privately owned website.

Yes it is verying degrees of customer satisfaction. Some people have gotten thier amps, and others haven't. So bluntly, YES! How many times do you have to hear stories of people who had GOOD experiences with him to see that's it's not COMPLETELY a one sided sword? It may be sharper on that end, but it's definitly double sided, especially when I'm talking from experience of having nothing but pleasant eMail contact with him. Also, the people I've had contact with that HAVE them, have also had nothing but pleasant experiences with multiple exchanges of defective units. Even if they were defective, the situation was ammended and a working unit was sent out, even if it was faulty unit after faulty unit. ANd guess what? That's YOUR OPINION if you think the amps is so-so, as they're enjoying thier working Diablo's. Again, although it is sharper on the bad end, it's definitly not a single sided sword.

Again you'd rather keep it censored, and hypocritically keep information hidden rather than possible bad press which you're encouraging right now! You say the mods don't censor, but when even there's the SLIGHTEST variance from YOUR beliefs, you go throwing a moderator fist in the air talking about a private website and giving up the very same free speech that you say you condone as long as it's not vulgar.

Quote:

If you completely understood where I was coming from you wouldn't have to ask the second part of that sentence. You are saying screw everybody, it's their problem. You've said it over and over again. When I said it should be posted it was followed by stating so people can do just as they are doing in this thread. Foot in your mouth, oh yeah.

I do understand, but your too hot-headed, illogical, and close-minded to stop and think that this can possibly go the way you want. Not saying it is, but you're not even inviting to the possibility and would rather raise your mod fist about "this is going to go my way". Great way to be inviting and passionate about this hobby if you're wanting to cease and desist anything against your own beliefs simply because you have the power to. That's not passionate about the hobby OR community if you'd rather withold information, than let it be known to the community both the positives and negatives and let THEM decide what they should do.

And bluntly speaking, if it came to your own well-being over somebody elses and it wasn't at your expense or of your fault (lets say, applying for a job), don't even be a hypocrite by lying and saying you would be considerate of the other persons well-being. Everybody IS out for themselves. I have no problem saying that truth, as when it boils down to it, all you care about is YOU beating the competition or getting the job. So think about that the next time you say you're not "out for yourself". Don't try to act so compassionate about it all, when in reality, you're not, and you're just pissed you and/or good friends and holding your own agenda. It's understandable, but I'de actually have more respect for you if you'de come out and say it that way, rather than masking it as "caring for others".

Quote:

I think you might finally be getting it.

I feel bad here, because I feel as if I suckered you into saying that, but in reality, it shows the truth about YOURSELF. You'd rather hold an agenda, instead of letting people in the community know what things are REALLY about, whether it be good or bad, and letting them make their own choices. Hopefully, you never run for president or become a news anchor, lol.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is certainly value in having a review of the product. But any review worth reading should also disclose those issues that may influence/bias the review (or at least give the appearance thereof). You have disclosed how you received the amp, which is helpful. I assume you'll also mention the well-documented problems people have experienced with the manufacturer and that you were able to bypass those unfortunate circumstances.

EDIT: Meaning that you will disclose these facts in the body of the review, not in the accompanying thread.

I most definitly will, and I will ALSO point out the issues I'm having with this particular unit. Hence the reason I've REPEATEDLY said I've had good communication with Larry, as he's been answering my questions and rectifying the situation, unlike others who have had NO CONTACT with him.

But see, some people are too quick to jump the gun in thinking that everything is hunky-dory... This unit is NOT perfect, and I will address that issue when the time comes...as somebody has put it "Inserting their foot in their mouth..." Rather, people would rather try to act like an internet donkey before getting any kind of solid information as you just have....

Funny how that works, eh?

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Rather, people would rather try to act like an internet bad-ass before getting any kind of solid information as you just have....

Funny how that works, eh?

Cool! I'm an Internet Bad-Ass!

EDIT: oops, forgot to add: what solid information am I lacking? Do you dispute that many people have had a horrible time purchasing this amp?

EDITEDIT: Mods, please also consider this my application for custom title "Internet Badass"

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #43 of 76
I dunno if you misinterpreted that, I wasn't calling you a donkey, rather I was applauding you for getting solid information before making a judgment, unlike the other donkeys who make snap judgements before really knowing any specifics.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #44 of 76
Nate, post your review. No one is stopping you or censoring you. All your words are here. I'm curious, though, who would have given you a brand new Diablo since you've stated it needed a week to burn-in? You say some head-fier just gave it to you because he had too many amps? Gave you a brand spanking new $525 amp because he had too many? What do you mean when you say, "it's 'mine'," putting the word mine in quotes? Yours to keep or yours to review? I'm going to believe you when you say that you didn't get it from Larry, but even knowing the generosity of head-fiers, saying that someone just up gave it to you sounds like a half-truth. Please explain. Considering you knew the controversy when stepping into this, you also must have known that greater scrutiny would be placed on your review and what's behind it. You also posted what more or less serves as an advertisement for a review you stated isn't coming for a week. What do you think would be talked about while folks waited? As The Monkey said, all this speaks to your credibility as a reviewer. Show us that there are no behind the scenes maneuverings, and we'll be better able to take what you say at face value.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

I dunno if you misinterpreted that, I wasn't calling you a donkey, rather I was applauding you for getting solid information before making a judgment, unlike the other donkeys who make snap judgements before really knowing any specifics.

Ah, in that case I did misinterpret it. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still a badass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back