REVIEW - COLORFLY C3
Oct 18, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #391 of 807
Quote:
By vast improvement, you mean in what sense? Mids, highs, bass? I want to get perhaps an amp to pair with my C3 but am also torn between portability issues (not sure how comfortable using two devices to listen would be) and money issues because right now I plan on purchasing a dedicated desktop DAC/Amp. I guess I'll leave further improvements to my portable setup for the future. Though I am curious about how the sound is improved for you. Also, do different cables really improve the sound by much? My first inclination would be no, but I guess it always depends. 

I'm not a professional when it comes to comparing mids, highs and bass, but I think there is just an overall improvement. I compared with and without Zo and I found that there is much deeper and fuller bass, and the mids and highs are more smoothened. Also, the Zo lets e hear things I never ever heard on a record, just because those sounds usually hide on the background. It sounds just much more warmer and fuller sound. As I said I'm not an expert, so I don't know if I explained it right, but these are just my findings when comparing. 

Regarding the cable the answer is no, the sound is not improved by much. That's why I said 'maybe I'm imagining things'. Because I was not sure if it did, just thought it did for a little tiny bit. It is logic it does, because each cable has a certain resistance, the more resistance the more of the signal gets lost. But because the numbers are so small, it is barely noticable. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if I wasn't clear enough, I tend to mess up explanations in English.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #392 of 807
C3's BACK BABY!! :D

All my player needed was a RESET. There's a reset button above the headphone jack (very small), after contacting the seller and him not believing me he contacted Colorfly who told him to try a reset. And low and behold! after finding a pin and pressing the rest button.

BOOM SHANKA! :gs1000smile:

relief and happiness!

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #393 of 807
darthsmile.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #394 of 807

Sure saves me a world of problems that's for sure! The reset button is tiny (above the headphone jack), I feel a little silly though for not thinking of it. The question is why did it shut down? though that for another time. I did try holding down the power button for 30 seconds along other button presses but this is the smallest un-labelled reset button I've ever seen.

Time to enjoy some tunes!

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #395 of 807
I have spent a few days with both Colorfly C3 and Cowon S9. While I've been enjoying testing both I'm in two minds about them. Mainly because I'm trying to adjust listening to a flat player rather than BBE enhanced, also tackling some changes C3 offers after being a Cowon user for so long..

So....is the C3 sound quality actually better? Yes and no, let's take a look and see.....

(Testing was done with both C3 / S9 set on flat EQ using FLAC and a separate section with S9's BBE+ engaged +5, Mach3Bass +1).

Soundstage:

Between the two C3's soundstage is impressive showing more width to my ears, remembering S9's soundstage is already wider than a Clip+ to begin with, so those wondering how it compares to Sansa it is definitely wider and some more. Using something like EX600 really pushes these boundary's expressing samples far outside your head (good fun). C3's stage is also very airy with less congestion taking first place over the Cowon. There's clearly a better sense of space between all instruments mainly due to it's advantage in width, everything is always neatly imaged and layered. Less squishy!

I was always fond of my S9's soundstage width but Colorfly have shed new light on what width means to me.

Winner: Colorfly C3

Detail

When both players are set flat C3's detail is great for the asking price and for those wondering it's above what the mighty rockboxed Clip+ offers, that's immediately noticeable. C3 shows advantages over the S9 in micro detailing, there's less intrusion due to the above average layering, samples aren't hidden or drowned out by mids, this comes across rather obvious with the right IEM. overal C3's signature is brighter rather dynamic and shows life at all times, everything is in the correct place having attack to it. To be honest C3''s overall signature and dynamics leaves my Cowon feeling lifeless or placid .Though it doesn't stop just there....

The Cowon may come across rather smooth but it also sounds to fined over or polite set flat, so although it's mid range detail has advantages in depth the overall signature is warmer and dull,. However S9 has a trick up it's sleeve. When using some BBE+ things turn around rather quickly, engaging to +5 the S9 turns into a Ferrari blasting about two miles ahead. (turbo anyone?) Everytihng becomes super clear, for example S9 acoustics and synths sound very realistic vocals have more bite to them, it kind of turns into a no competition for me because I am accustomed to BBE+. C3 is still limited by a price tag and caves in with limited depth and less natural timbre compared, instruments aren't as natural and you won't hear as deep into the mid range frequency's. (that is clear over several tests).

I would say C3 has about 75% of Cowons mid range detail when BBE+ is engaged to +5.

Winner flat:: Colorfly C3

Winner EQ: Cowon S9.

Seperation:

Cowon S9 is rather well known for decent skills in this area though I feel this is where our moneys goes to Colorfly. Separation is overly obvious, nothing like I have heard in a player before. always every instrument on it's own.... not only alone but feels like it's been layered completely separated to other samples. You can easily pick out any riff you want following it (especially noticeable when tracks get busy) and this works right through the low to high end. Almost magical how this comes across to me, something I'm very fond of. Different samples tend to jump out at will and take over the one you were previously following.

I was never a fan of EX600 because I felt it lacks separation falling back to BA drivers on accomplishing this task, though using C3 has taken separation to a new level. (can you tell I'm impressed?) If you buy this player for one thing and one thing only by gosh let it be the separation. It's something that makes my S9 feel lacking. It's viscously leagues ahead and I absolutely love it. I can pair up GR07 and EX600 transforming them into something truly magical in this area.
:

Winner: Colorfly C3

To sum up what's been written in my quick summary. Yes, flat Colorfly C3 is better than Cowons S9, choosing one on a flat setting I would take the C3, it's signature is more alive there's more clarity, overall it's more enjoyable for listening and feeling more 'audiophile'. Using BBE+ the S9 is still a winner for me, it may not have the stage as wide, a disadvantage in separation though it's clearly steps ahead in detailing. Those who prefer a flat EQ will enjoy C3 more, with the great staging and separation it really gives you an audiophile sense of listening venturing away from that semi mainstream sound Cowon still has. Though when it comes to artificial enhancements and technology the reinforced sound of S9 pulls away rather quickly.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #396 of 807
Quote:
I have spent a few days with both Colorfly C3 and Cowon S9. 

I am blaming you entirely for this, 
biggrin.gif
 but I have just ordered a Cowon C2 (£109 from Amazon for the 16Gb one) to have a listen to the famous Cowon sound, as I have never owned one of their players. I heard one once, but it was long ago and through crappy headphones.

I will be interested to see how it sounds compared to the C3 that I have. I really needed an additional DAP anyway. NOT. lol

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #397 of 807
I am blaming you entirely for this, :D  but I have just ordered a Cowon C2 (£109 from Amazon for the 16Gb one) to have a listen to the famous Cowon sound, as I have never owned one of their players. I heard one once, but it was long ago and through crappy headphones.

I will be interested to see how it sounds compared to the C3 that I have. I really needed an additional DAP anyway. NOT. lol

Haha..good price! C2 is a little more energetic than C3, soundstage is a touch narrower (not much) in having Mach3bass and BBE+ at your disposal you may find no need for amping any longer using C2. There's a lot of power there, 29Mw+29Mw 16ohms and will certainly do Skazi justice I can assure you that. Be careful though, if BBE+ agrees with you - it's hard changing back to a flat setting, something I've been working on last week. I can see both players living together easily enough as my S9 does. Works well with GR07 and TF10, It's a good combination actually. C3 for audiophile listening which I'm really enjoying.... and S9 (C2) night clubbing mode. :D

How I managed adjusting to C3 last week was drop BBE right down on my Cowon from my usual 8 to 1 then eventually listen flat, after a few sessions doing this the S9 sounds off flat and I think I'm adjusting, I was listening to EX600 two nights ago which actually pairs well with the Colorfly unlike I previously thought (or I have adjusted) the Sony's totally rocked me into a state of drifting in and out of sleep. It's such a relaxing spacious combination, I achieved just as much a buzz if not more than sessions with the Cowon and I can thank the C3 partly for that.

I can completely understand where people are coming from with a flat setting, it's just as enjoyable, now when using BBE it's slowly sounding strange.

So I'm getting there. I also have these coming soon, my first Hybrid IEM! :devil_face:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150923154864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

There's a thread here starting to take off on them..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630235/t-peos-h-100k-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread

Please let us know how you compare the C2 to C3 when it arrives! :cool: Really enjoying my Colourfly guy's!

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #399 of 807
Quote:
Please let us know how you compare the C2 to C3 when it arrives!
cool.gif
Really enjoying my Colourfly guy's!

Got my C2 yesterday yesterday morning and have been playing with it solidly since then.

I am not used to this sound at all, as my usual sources are either the Sansa Clip Zip or the C3 and I find both of these players neutral sounding, so my initial listens to the C2 even with none of its "special effects" turned on, sounded coloured to the point of almost veiling all sound to me, but on further listening I can see this is not the case and it is simply that the sound signature is just different on the C2 - it's detailed enough, it's just presented in a different way than I am used to. It's kind of the reverse position from you that I am in, H20, where I am coming from neutral sounding DAP's and using flat EQ's, to a more coloured listening experience :)

I have to say that EDM on the C2 with the 'BBE Headphone' setting on, can only be described as an "exciting" listening experience. Does a glorious job of delivering the multi-layered synths and basslines of Shpongle, Skazi,1200 Micrograms and Infected Mushroom and in fact I think I prefer the C2 for this type of music than any of my other players (see my sig for what they are) This perhaps, is a more long winded way of saying I agree with your view of the C2 working well in "night clubbing mode" :)

Where the Colorfly C3 improves on the Cowon C2 sound is in its detail, and I find the soundstage on the C2 quite a bit narrower than on the C3 too. The C2 does however, handle some of 1200 Mics mad stereo panning and multi-layered timbral effects very well indeed, and keeps a tight grip of things.

The C3 I think on the whole has the superior sound, and is certainly to my ears, the "go to" player over any of my others, if I am trying to listen to detailed or complex rock music such as Tool, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin, or indeed classical music, but I think the C2 would be my "go to" choice for EDM, Dubstep or other contemporary music where I might be looking for a more "exciting" listen. 

Both the C3 and the C2 pair extremely well with the Vsonic GR07.

I see zero point in amping the C2, it is powerful enough on its own and has a sound that my Fiio E7 doesn't improve any. For the sake of trying it, I have paired the C2 with E7 and it adds nothing of any value that couldn't be achieved by fiddling around with the BBE and other enhancements in the C2's settings. The C3 on the other hand, pairs beautifully with the E7 and it adds an extra smoothness and a slight bit of warmth to the C3's sound.

Just as an aside, the C2's interface is shockingly bad for a touchscreen UI. It would appear it can be skinned/themed to make it more friendly/useful however, and I am looking into that. The C3 on the other hand, is a model of simplicity and clarity in regards to interface, and anyone could use it without issue.

Overall, I am impressed by the C2 (16Gb model) for the £109 I paid for it, and it's a keeper for me. However, it's not just as impressive in terms of pure sound quality as the C3 (8Gb model) and the £87 I paid for it. Both are staying with me though, for different reasons, so that probably tells you all you need to know. My Wolfson DAC based 5th Gen Ipod is gathering dust in a draw, it can't hold a candle to either the C3 or the C2.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #400 of 807
The question for me now is... Colorfly C3 or Rocoo P? :p

Also, anyone tried some uplifting trance on the colorfly c3? How does it sound?

EDIT: Ordered an 8GB Colorfly C3 from bigbargainsonline ebay seller based in Hong Kong. Recommended in this C3 review thread.

Only cost me £83 including delivery. Hopefully it will come next week, cannot wait! :-D

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #401 of 807
Quote:
The question for me now is... Colorfly C3 or Rocoo P? :p
Also, anyone tried some uplifting trance on the colorfly c3? How does it sound?

There is absolutley no question to be had there, the c3 murders any hisound product (yes including the studio players).

Hisound are, in my opinion the biggest con artists in the audio game, they are taking extremely cheap parts, putting them together in a nice looking case with horrible interface and pushing thir rehtoric it does sound better doesnt it?  Well they use the age old claim about not what the parts are but we make them special, no I believe they do not and am about to set out to prove that they are just making quick bucks out of this strategy and people (like myselfs) gulibility.

Look at the markus kraus RMAA tests on the studio it is ridiculously bad at almost any level despite them claiming it is pretty much the best sounding player out there.  Given that they are claiming that the studio is the top of their line and the P is below it it is terrible as well (I have owned all).  Not to mention these players hiss at annoying levels.

Jack has accused me of working for colorfly, I believe in that he delibratley sent a messed up studio to me in retaliation for my earlier comments in this thread on the Rocoo Players.  I do not, and many people who know me on here and in real life know I have nothing to do with the electronics industry other than being a hobbyist of audio equipment. 

There will be more to come on this from me in the coming weeks and now that my studio is finally gone at a massive loss. I will be posting about some other stuff that I have dug up about this sham of a company as well so that others can make an informed decision when dealing with them.

To get the ball rolling here is an internal picture of the studio V 3rd anniversary,  what you see here is a cheap sigmatel circuit (3370 I think), with dirt cheap corsair memory.  Now take a look at the amp section, another cheap part (That i believe is not class-A like they claim) and yes it really did come like that, they chisel/scrape the top off it so it cant be identified as just another cheap common part (they used to put some copper Hisound tab over the top and write PDAA-1 on it to make it seem a propietary design but were called out by razz from mp4nation on that in 2010.

Oh and the long battery life of the player that they claim comes from their genius?  No its just a whopping massive battery used to fill all that extra casing space (remember big and heavy you can charge more for).

As I said more to come on this I am still "compiling my case" if anyone has any more info please message me and I can add it in. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #402 of 807
Thanks for the info mate.

I'm also receiving my yami eph100 tomorrow. Judging by what you said in the OP these 2 compliment each other very well.

Btw, how long did it take for the ebay seller to dispatch the C3 to you?

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #404 of 807
you'll love the eph mate, just an all around great phone.

I'm sure I will mate, been reading great things about them everywhere. Sounds like they are perfect for EDM, which is what I listen to 99.8% of the time.

Need your advice dude, if I ordered the Colorfly C3 today... when do you reckon I'll receive it?

I'm in UK.

Spun out from my RenovateD and NCX'd HTC One X!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back