Review collection of E9 and the combo of E7+E9
Dec 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi feiao,

My review is here and ready: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526450/another-fiio-e9-amplifier-review

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 5
I just want to say that i am very please with the E9 in particular. With the Arcam RDac as source, they simply are the best setup i have heard for female vocals.

Thanks for producing a great product.

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi All

Recently I upgraded my FiiO E9 desktop headphone amplifier with the Sparkos ss3602 discrete opamp.

In this short overview I would like to share my opinions and experiences with this upgrade.

I bought the E9 in a combo with the matching portable E7 USB DAC Headphone amplifier.
As the E7 might prove to be the weakest link in evaluating the sound potential of the E9 I used a higher quality source via the line in of the E9 to evaluate its sound.

As a reference I have included the Custom Headphone Target Curve that I used to EQ my AKG K712 Pro headphone for the listening tests.
My audio-chain consisted of:
  • Qobuz (Hi-res streaming service)
  • Roon (running on Synology NAS)
  • HQPlayer (running on Intel Nuc12i5) for upsampling and EQ
  • Fibre optic Media Converters
  • Gustard R26 R-2R DAC using it's internal (LAN) Network Audio Adapter
  • van Damme blue series studio grade interconnect
  • FiiO E9 desktop headphone amplifier
  • AKG K712 Pro headphone

The standard opamps of the E9 are 3x OPA2134 of which standard one is seated in a socket so can easily be rolled.
I modified the E9 and soldered 2 additional sockets so all can be easily upgraded.

Over time I have tested and swapped numerous opamps in the E9 with the following results:
LME49990 brought no improvement and made the sound woolly and subdued.
OPA602BP, OPA1641 and ADA4627 all had strenghts (detail, warmth) and weaknesses (thin, vague placement) but overall brought an improvement over the default opamp.
OPA2107 and OPA627 both offered more detailed and a warm layed-back sound but where surpased by the Burson V5i which added detail and sparkle and had really good synergy with the K712 Pro.
I enjoyed this combo for several years.

Recently I upraded the prefered opamp (Burson V5i) with the Sparkos ss3602 which is more neutral and gave the E9 a smoother, more detailed and engaging sound.
I am very happy with this upgrade as it revitalized the E9 and made it a joy to listen to also in combination with the E7 portable DAC/amp.

Attachments

• E9.jpg
    E9.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • E9 2.jpg
    E9 2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPTargetCurve.txt
    824 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back