Review: Budget Headpones (ATH-AD700 vs. Alessandro ms1 vs. JVC RX900)
Apr 3, 2010 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
U4yq2h.jpg

Introduction

I'm pretty new to head-fi, and am by no means an expert in sound. I started out with JVC RX900, modded those, then decided to pick up the AD700 and eventually got the ms1's as well just to see what they were like. So if you're looking for an expert opinion of these headphones, I'm not the person to come to. The reason I'm offering my own review here is that I personally found it very hard to get concise information on what "budget" headphone to choose, and I think a review between some of the top contenders in this category by a somewhat novice listener might be useful for others.

Gear/Setup

I'm running all three of these straight out my ipod, with no amping whatsoever. The RX900 are modded with the felt mod, dynamat mod, and stuffing mod (TopPop mods), and have hundreds of hours of burn-in. The ms1's are using reverse quarter modded 414 pads, and have an unknown amount of burn-in (I got them from another head-fier and I'm pretty sure they are plenty burned in). The AD700 are completely unmodded, and have very few hours of burn-in (I don't think burn-in is going to make a big difference on these based on their sound signature, but keep in mind they are not burnt in).

Music Used

The cans were listened to over a wide range of genre's, including classical, hip-hop, techno/electronic, rock, prog rock, alt rock, jazz, metal, metalcore, symponic metal, and melodic death metal. I can give specific bands I used for listening if people really want, but mostly these are my impressions from hours of listening to all of my favorite bands.

Build Quality

All three headphones seem very sturdy and well made, and I'm honestly not worried about ruining any of them. That said, the Alessandro ms1 seem weakest here. The Y cable design, along with the fact that the cups can rotate 360 degrees, does seem like a potential weak point. The headphones themselves are also quite flimsy, although with how simple the design is that makes sense and really there's not a lot that can go wrong with these.
Next is the ATH AD700 which are made out of plastic which at first seems a bit flimsy/weak, but after more use and inspection these would be very difficult to ruin in any way. Still, they aren't the sturdiest headphones ever, but once again it's not something I would worry about.

Top in build quality would have to be the RX900 (odd considering they are the cheapest), which honestly seem like they would be extremely difficult to break even if I was trying. That said, the headband and leatherette earpads are both prone to some cracking and could possibly get a bit messed up after a lot of wear and tear, but I haven't had any problems yet. Also, the ms1 have the shortest cord, while the AD700 and RX900 both have very long ones, if that's a consideration for anybody.

Comfort

The AD700 is the clear winner in comfort, and I would not mind at all wearing them for 8+ hours. They sit very lightly on your head/ears, and I can barely feel them even after a long time. The pads are comfortable on both the ears and the 'wings' that go on your head, and even the heat that any circumaural headphone generates is pretty low on these. The only downside is that they are quite loose on my head, and I are not suited for too much movement at all, and this is mostly because I have a very small head, and the fit of these changes considerably based on your head (my brother with a larger and more round shaped head doesn't have the loose issue at all).

I'd personally pick the Alessandro ms1 (with the 414 pads) as second most comfortable out of these 3 (although it's close). The comfort of grado phones has been discussed pretty often around these parts so I won't go into too much depth, but I will say that with these pads I don't find it to be an issue at all. I've used these for 8+ hours (with breaks), and while there is some discomfort and a kind of weird fit (I'm not too keen about on-ear, I find myself wanting to re-situate these a lot), they end up being more than adequate in comfort for me.

The JVC RX900 are just below the ms1, for me, in terms of comfort (maybe . . . it's a close call). Keep in mind that's not to say these are uncomfortable, they just don't quite stack up to the ms1 and AD700 which are very good. The leatherette is quite nice, and I like how it feels, but it has the tendency to heat your ears up a lot which a tiny bit annoying (nothing substantial honestly). The pads can also compress just a bit too much and make your ear touch the driver if you have bigger ears (I don't really have this problem, my brother does), although once again it's very lightly and not much pressure. This can be alleviated with a pretty simple mod (putting felt or something else under the pads to push them out more), but I don't find this necessary.
Lastly the clamping force of these is a bit much, and while it can be alleviated somewhat by stretching them overnight, I still find it a little high for my tastes. All of these impressions are, once again, from 8+ hour sessions (with small breaks) so they are definitely adequate enough in comfort. Lastly I will mention that I sometimes enjoy the feeling of complete envelopment I get from my RX900; it just really feels like something is surrounding your ears and bringing you into its own world which can be neat at times.

Isolation and Sound Leakage

It's a bit hard for me to comment on isolation as I tend to listen to my music very loud, so I can't hear anything no matter which headphone I'm using. Also, none of these cans are really meant for that purpose. If I had to rank them though, the RX900 isolate the best with the AD700 not far behind, and the ms1's isolate the most poorly being very open and on ear instead of around. As for as how much sound they leak, the RX900 leaks the least to the point where they might as well be completely closed (the mods make them leak a lot less). The AD700 leaks a decent amount of sound, and isn't going to be very quiet if you need it to be, but it will still blow the ms1 out of the water which basically might as well be trying to let anybody nearby hear every detail in your music.

Sound Quality

Ahh, finally to the most important aspect of the headphones! The interesting thing about these three cans, and the reason I got them all, is that they all have vastly different sound signatures.

o0dwnh.jpg

ATH-AD700
The AD700 excels at the highs and mids, giving a clarity and life to the mid/upper range that the other two headphones just can't match. Acoustic instrumentation, upper-mid male vocals, and female vocalists are definitely the AD700's strong suits, and I find myself reaching for these cans for just about any acoustic listening. The AD700 have a fantastically large soundstage, and give a very airy presentation. These have a tiny hint of sibilance on some tracks, but it's very small and I imagine it will go away with burn-in.
Instrument seperation is of course quite good, although as the music gets faster and more complex (melodic death metal for instance) the AD700 aren't always quite quick enough (in comparison to the ms1 especially), although I wouldn't say they are bad by any means. I will say I tended to hear/notice things with the AD700 that I didn't pick out with the other two, and it really is enjoyable to listen to my favorite songs with these when I'm paying attention.
What the AD700 sacrificies for those crystal clear highs, and that fantastic soundstage, is the lower end of the spectrum. Perhaps I'm a bit of basshead (although I really don't think so), but I will say the AD700 just don't deliver quite enough here. What bass is there though is very tight, controlled, and it does have some impact. Honestly I like the bass signature on these, but there just plain isn't enough to truly get the most out of some types of music. That's not to say I didn't like my hip hop and DnB tracks, but I would have enjoyed a bit more bass on them.
Where I find the AD700 weakest though isn't so much the lack of thumping bass (like I said, I love the control), but the entire lower end can be a bit lacking in some tracks. You'll have to excuse me as I'm finding my lack of audio knowledge to hurt me here, and I don't know how to properly explain this except to say that on some tracks where there is supposed to be continous deep sounds (like some cello stuff for instance, e.g. Apocalyptica) the sound just was not as resounding and empowering as I think they are meant to be. Apocalyptica was a big factor in hearing this for me, although ironically any of their less intense/higher pitch songs I enjoyed the AD700 the most out of all 3 cans.

lOhpkh.jpg

Alessandro MS1
Overall the ms1 are very engaging, and with almost no soundstage to speak of they are very "in your face". I know that doesn't sound very technical, but it's how I see it. These are quite different from the AD700, as I feel they do well across the entire board and are overall very well rounded (that does not mean accurate, just balanced across their range compared to the other two). The bass is on these is still very tight, but they can let loose more than the AD700 when it's called for.
These excel at rock (as is already well known), but are also very fantastic for extremely fast music such as melodic/technical death metal. They are quick and engaging in those genres, but I still find them to be pretty good in other genres as well. They aren't as clear and airy for classical or even acoustic rock, but still sound fine. I personally think these are better all around phones than the AD700, which I know contradicts some other opinions around here but that's how I see it.
As for whether or not these are "harsh" or have any sibilance, I really don't think so at all. I was a bit worried after reading some comments that mentioned both, but I didn't hear it myself.

BqEOXh.jpg

JVC RX900
First and foremost, these have the most bass out of all three headphones by far. If you love bass then these are probably better than the other two, and I find myself reaching for them pretty often when I listen to certain bands (some hip hop, DnB, techno, etc). The bass is reasonably well controlled, but I wouldn't say it's as tight as the ms1's and nowhere near the AD700, and yet it's not completely out of control either.
These have a very warm sound, and the mids are a bit recessed; it's not horrible, but the recessed mids are definitely noticeable even with all the mods/burn-in (highs on the other hand are no longer recessed after burn-in/mods, and sound quite good). I personally find their warm and full sound signature extremely enjoyable sometimes, and I'm glad I own these to go along with the others (especially when I want my music to be more of a background thing, without too much detail needed).
Instrument separation and attack speed are both just alright, and things can get drowned out as the music gets more intense. These sometimes get praised for having a good soundstage, but I personally don't think it's all that impressive. It's definitely there, and it's noticeable (especially when compared to the ms1), but it's not really a selling point.

Conclusions

All three of these can be considered budget cans, going between $50 and $100 with the RX900 on the lowest end of that budget, and in the end it really comes down to what you are looking for. The AD700 is great for highs/mids and it's soundstage, suited to airy and instrumental music. The RX900 is the polar opposite, where the lower end is more emphasized and the sound is very warm and full. The ms1 fall somewhere in the middle, and have no soundstage at all unlike the AD700 and RX900. It's all a matter of preference.

For my own personal opinion/conclusions, I'd say if I only owned one of these phones I'd like it to be the ms1 due to how much I enjoy rock and metal on these (both of which I listen to a lot). The RX900 would be my close second though, and would be my first choice (as only can) if I didn't adore melodic death metal on the ms1's so much. Personally I would choose the AD700 last as my ONLY source of sound, as I really don't feel it can handle all my music to it's fullest; that said, my brother adores the AD700 as his second source of music alongside his speakers for a completely different experience. Once again these are my personal preferences based on my music, things will be different depending on what you like.

Please feel free to ask me questions, point out any issues, and make comments. I've never written a review before, so I'd really love any input at all.

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 15
Nice review, Rabbit.

I'm from team Alessandro, never got in touch with the other contenders. But you nailed the MS1 pretty good down.

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@NimbleRabit, very great review
regular_smile .gif
I don't think AD700 and MS-1 are meant to be having any isolation, as they are so open.

Yeah, but I thought I'd mention it anyways as some people seem to care about that. But then when I was thinking about it, I realized I can't really hear anything with any of them because of how loud I listen to music lol.

I'm going to take some pictures of the headphones to make the review look a little nicer, it's kinda like a big mass of text right now.

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 15
Yeah some pictures will be great!

When I first joined Head-Fi I was struggling between AD700 and MS-1, but finally bought MS-1 because the bass-light issue of AD700 bothered me a lot. However, I sold off my MS-1 months ago, because of their small soundstage
regular_smile .gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, Rabbit.

I'm from team Alessandro, never got in touch with the other contenders. But you nailed the MS1 pretty good down.

Glad to hear the Allesandro expert doesn't think I'm too far off, perhaps my ears aren't as horrible as I think they are!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah some pictures will be great!

When I first joined Head-Fi I was struggling between AD700 and MS-1, but finally bought MS-1 because the bass-light issue of AD700 bothered me a lot. However, I sold off my MS-1 months ago, because of their small soundstage
regular_smile .gif

After listening to the AD700 quite a bit, every time I switch to my ms1 I miss the soundstage a bit. That's why I'm planning to do the ms1000 mods to them and see how I like those.

Anyways, I added a few pictures in to make this look a little nicer. Sorry they came out so badly, this is pretty much the first time in my entire life I've even held a camera (I prefer to be in the pictures, and I've never had occasion to take a picture of something before).

I think everybody knows what these headphones look like anyways, just thought I'd try to add some flavor. Enjoy.

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis_lcfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are your X900's modded? IMO the mods make the X900s more clearer.

Yes they are fully modded, and I don't think the clarity is necessarily horrible but it's just not on the level of the AD700 or even (in many cases) the ms1. It kind of depends on the music though, the RX900 actually handles upper-mids/highs very well, it's more the midrange that I still think is a bit recessed and less clear.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Is it just me or removing the bottom layer of the felt makes the bass more powerful? I took my swiss army knife and scraped the felt back and forth till the holes were uncovered.

At above average volume, i could actually feel my eardrums being pounded due to the sound waves.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 15
Do you think the AD700 pads might fit on the RX900? I mean do you think with some sort of adhesive they would fit the diameter?

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the AD700 pads might fit on the RX900? I mean do you think with some sort of adhesive they would fit the diameter?

It's possible that they might fit, but I doubt it would be a very perfect fit. It's a bit irrelevant anyways though, as it's not really the pads that make the AD700 so comfortable. It's the wing design, and how lightly they sit on your heads, with the pads having a pretty big diameter to just sit around your hears.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to the AD700 quite a bit, every time I switch to my ms1 I miss the soundstage a bit. That's why I'm planning to do the ms1000 mods to them and see how I like those.

Anyways, I added a few pictures in to make this look a little nicer. Sorry they came out so badly, this is pretty much the first time in my entire life I've even held a camera (I prefer to be in the pictures, and I've never had occasion to take a picture of something before).

I think everybody knows what these headphones look like anyways, just thought I'd try to add some flavor. Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing those pics! You must be very popular, because you have less chance holding a camera
biggrin.gif

I sold off my MS-1 other than their small soundstage, I find myself never touched them since I went into the IEMs route. To my ears, even IE8 has a bigger and precise soundstage than MS-1
normal_smile .gif
However, I have never tried the MS-1000 mod.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's possible that they might fit, but I doubt it would be a very perfect fit. It's a bit irrelevant anyways though, as it's not really the pads that make the AD700 so comfortable. It's the wing design, and how lightly they sit on your heads, with the pads having a pretty big diameter to just sit around your hears.

Thanks for the info, I'm just trying to find a decent velour pad replacement for the RX700 if I end up getting one, I heard the K401 fit, but I can't seem to find them, and have no idea if they are the same as contemporary AKG phones. Guess I just need to order an RX700 and find out
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 15
I was planning on borrowing some ATH-M50 to review since those are the one other big budget phone I feel I'm missing here, but sadly he decided not to send them to me
frown.gif
. Hopefully I can convince him and add those in here, not to mention I actually really want to try them out based on the reviews around here.

Apr 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 15
Great effort, Confrats.

I Can tell that i heard the AD700's twice with diffrerent amps and it does scales up nicely with better equipment, The bass was reasonably well-bodied, Overall much more balanced sound than when unamped (duh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back