Review: Benchmark DAC1 vs RME HDSP 9632 vs RME PAD vs EMU 1212M
Jan 15, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
The dejitter mechanism in the DAC1 has been discussed in quite some depth recently.

The DAC1 uses an AD1896 asynchronus sample rate converter which maps jitter and clock skew into broadband noise. It also renders all signals at the frequencies derived from the oscillators of the source.

The net effect is that the DAC1 will sound different with different sources based on two main factors. jitter and clock skew.

Yes, we know this, there are differences the guys at M.I.T or Fraunhofer institute are able to measure.
But is it audible?
Fortunately not, at least not to my tin ears.
biggrin.gif

Are there any DBTs published where a golden ear was capable of discerning different at least semi-decent sources?I'm not talking about crappy CDPs, but about bit perfect soundcards.
Just curious.

Jan 16, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #62 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Not exactly.
It depends on the DAC.Some DACs are relatively jitter immune, others are sensitive.
I own a DAC with bypass option for the jitter reducing circuit.The difference is easily audible in a DBT, and I'm utilizing a RME soundcard that outputs probably less jitter than e.g. a cheap AV-710.

Could somebody be so kind to explain this? You say that the RME would probably output less jitter than the chaintech, which sounds logical. Why does Rogue claim the chaintech sounds better with a budget, non jitter reducing dac, the Dialogue II?
Wouldn't the output with the least amount of jitter always sound better? Or is this soundcard dependant too? In other words, are there any other non-jitter related factors to take into account?
I thought most people would agree that the EMU cards output a pretty low amount of jitter, compared to the chaintech at least?

I am asking this because I might be upgrading to a budget dac for now (<200$) until I find enough money for a Benchmark DAC1. The DAC1 won't be for the near future so I was wondering if upgrading the chaintech would be a good idea.

Quote:

Hey,
Yeah, the Dialogue does sound significantly better than the EMU 1212m. I tried using the digital out on both the EMU and the AV710, and I found that the quality using the AV710 was perhaps slightly better than the EMU, surprisingly. I think the EMU Patchmix drivers somehow alter the sound, although the difference was not remarkable.
Cheers,rogue

Thanks in advance

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guust-Fi
Could somebody be so kind to explain this? You say that the RME would probably output less jitter than the chaintech, which sounds logical. Why does Rogue claim the chaintech sounds better with a budget, non jitter reducing dac, the Dialogue II?

It's still a matter of taste. Like how some people like a intimate vs spacious sound... etc.

Jitter can exist in different frequencies. I don't know how the jitter maps out for all these soundcards. You also can't reproduce his results because everybody uses different motherboards and PSUs in the computer. The power differences are likely to change the results.

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #64 of 69
> Wouldn't the output with the least amount of jitter always sound better?

Yes it depends not only on jitter, but i can't tell what exactly. Let's say CD transports don't have much lower jitter than pro audio cards, yet they sound completely different and yes, better, assuming you take a good CD transport.
EMU 1212M claims jitter as low as RME digi PAD, but sounds so bad... why?

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by pranza
Let's say CD transports don't have much lower jitter than pro audio cards, yet they sound completely different and yes, better, assuming you take a good CD transport.

Respectfully, I must disagree. In my experience, every single item I've used as a transport - be it personal CD, a whole range of CD players, DVD player, PC with half a dozen different sound cards and now with Airport Express, all sound exactly the same to my ears when played into an external DAC.

I'm not saying there aren't differences, but I am suggesting that if indeed there are, they are - in the language I use - extremely small, and that's on the end of good equipment (Dynaudio Contour speakers and Stax Pro Sig earspeakers).

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #66 of 69
Search google and find this topic. Funny with this thread, I sold benchmark dac1 because of RME 9632 stock. And I removed cap on rme and modded with Nichicon kz, sanyo oscon( just one at digital) and panasonic Fm. RME now become more musical than Zhaolu modded with zapfilter( my friend who owned zhaolu modde said first), and better than alot of CD player. I owned Stello DA100 sig too, but it far from my RME HDSP9632 so I let my friend lend Stello
k701smile.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #68 of 69
yeah too funny, also funny becauseI came into this area of the forums to see if I could find some info on modding my HDSP9632 caps and also see if I could find some info on tapping the i2s from it to use with my incoming Buffalo32. I have already made 2 UBER breakout cables for it. the digital breakout now has AES, BNC and RCA digital outs. so it will be used mainly just as transport. I expect the cap upgrade will still help out in this regard, especially the digital section?? although I suppose it will all be reclocked anyway. i2s is the only further upgrade that will make a fair difference.

so Iron dreamer got anything for me man?? I spent a couple of nights googling in my most recent research on this, but came up with a dead end headwize thread and this one
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #69 of 69
 EMU 1212M IS A GREAT  CARD ..what EMU claims is  absolutely correct.... please use good cable.. computer.. and a good mind... IT IS A SHAME TO SAY THAT IT SOUNDS BAD...IT HAS  Analog Line Inputs THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -110dB (.0003%)   Analog Line Inputs  THD+N (1kHz at -1dBFS): -105dB (.0006%) Frequency Response (20Hz - 20kHz): + 0.0/-.35dB, SUPARB...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back