[REVIEW] Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H3 - Form over Function?
Oct 31, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 35
Just ordered a pair (red). I have tons of B&O stuff because I appreciate design as well as performance and im willing to pay for something that has some thought and consideration in its aesthetic appeal which is so severally lacking in audio/video equipment. 

Ill be using them on the slope when I snowboarding. I have the easet i3s, but they go over the ear a bit so arnt great with fitting under a helmet. These should be perfect. I for one love the mic/volume control. Allows me to do work/conference calls from the slopes.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #18 of 35
Thanks for the review - very helpful.

I've decided to order these for taking conference calls and listening to audio books on the go, so my requirements are not strictly sound quality but also comfort, ability to stay in the ear while moving, and the inline controls and mic.  For dedicated audiophile listening, I agree that the mic / controls and 4-contact plug are unwanted, but for listening on the go I really don't expect to be in an environment conducive to careful listening anyway, so the convenience factors trump absolute sound quality.  In such situations, I find the controls quite useful - they often mean you don't have to fiddle with a touchscreen or even pull the phone out of your pocket.  That said, B&O (and more manufacturers in general) would do well to take a cue from HiFiMAN's RE300 and the like - make both a plain version and a variant with microphone and controls.

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I was also after moderate isolation only - for my intended purpose, I prefer enough isolation to be able to cut background noise down but not completely out.  For example, so I can hear calls clearly while driving (one ear inserted only!) or while walking around the house or working in the yard - I still want to hear some of what's going on around me.  I suspect there are quite a lot of people who are thinking along the same lines, if their intended usage is not strictly audiophile listening; so in this regard I think B&O may have correctly identified their market and featured the product accordingly.  In any case, I have read at least one other review which suggests large changes in isolation with tip rolling, so if I need more or less then there's always that option.

One other feature which attracted me is the carrying case.  These'll be carried around in my pockets and computer bag a lot, so a protective case is a welcome inclusion...  the case they've provided looks pretty good - we'll see how it works out in practice.  IME, the Achilles heel of many carry cases is bulk, which is why I often end up carrying headphones 'naked' in a pocket, just coiled up.  If the provided case is too bulky or awkward to use, then I fear the lack of strain reliefs may become a longevity issue.  OTOH, B&O's 3 year warranty and excellent customer service reputation help ameliorate that concern for me.

I have a number of high-end IEMs to compare with (all audiophile oriented) - Ety ER-4P, Heir 4.ai, Grado GR8 - so they'll be up against some stiff competition when they arrive.  Of course I don't expect them to reach that level of performance, but it'll be interesting to see how well they stack up.

The H3's should be here tomorrow - I'll try and remember to return and provide my first impressions some time soon.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 35
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4VG19M/ref=gb1h_tit_m-4_1402_f583e300?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=0KQSWG13PWGAEH81J8QE&pf_rd_i=172541&pf_rd_p=1980921402

$139.99 Reduced $60 Amazon Lightning deal

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #22 of 35
Now that I've had a couple months with these, I thought I'd come back and post my impression of them.

As expected, the H3's don't rise to the level of performance of my high-end IEM's (Ety ER-4P, Heir 4.ai, Grado GR8), but even so, they're still quite good.  They compare most closely with the Grado GR8, so that's what I'll use as the reference point.

Sound quality is not in the stratosphere, but is still very good, bordering on excellent.  I would characterize them as very relaxed and neutral sounding - they are very easy and pleasant to listen to.  As it turns out, I find this characteristic is just perfect for taking phone calls and listening to audiobooks, where intelligibility is critical, but any sibilance or 'bright' characteristic would be fatiguing and undermine the usability for extended listening.  The H3's are softer and drier sounding than the GR8, somewhat less lively and less transparent (consistent with their tendency towards a non-sibilant, relaxed sound - this might be considered an asset given the intended usage).  The H3's are also a bit congested by comparison, lacking some of the delicacy and refinement of the GR8's, but I am pleased to find that these B&Os are no slouch!  I am very happy using them for casual music listening on the go or at the gym (where the inline controls are very welcome), and it's only when I want to sit down for some serious music listening that I turn to the better phones.  To round out the comparison, I find the GR8's are smaller and lighter - thus more comfortable, while isolation seems similar.

Speaking of isolation - the H3's are OK.  Nothing extreme, but enough to get by.  I think it's about what one can expect from a single-flange silicone eartip, being oriented more towards comfort and quick / easy insertion than towards maximum isolation, and I'm fine with that compromise.  In an office environment, for example, I find the GR8's far more usable than the 4.ai's, simply because I can pop them in and out so much faster - if a colleague stops by for a chat, there's no awkward maneuvering to extract a deeply-seated earpiece before the conversation can begin.  The Beo H3's fit in the same category - quick and easy to don and doff, and therefore more convenient in most day to day situations.  I did recently have occasion to test these headphones on an airplane - I realized after settling comfortably in my window seat, that I had forgotten to pocket my usual earplugs (still in my bag, now stowed well out of reach in the overhead bin).  Then I remembered I had the H3's in my pocket, so I decided to put them on in lieu of a proper earplug - something's better than nothing.  They got the job done, cutting ear-splitting announcements down to a reasonable amplitude, and keeping the engine roar under control - I had no dreaded tinnitus ringing after the 3-hour flight.  I even used them during the flight to listen to part of an audiobook, and they worked out just fine - I did not have to jack the volume up at all.  So I would say for airline use, the H3's isolation is minimally acceptable - it'll get you by on a short-haul, but I really prefer more isolation, especially on a long-haul flight.

As far as sound leakage goes, I have to say I don't find it to be an issue at all.  Covering up the eartips with my fingers, there is little if any sound escaping out the back of the drivers.  So I'm not sure why others commented that they have a lot of noise leakage - it doesn't seem to be an issue with mine.

Fit & finish on the headphones is excellent.  The metal body of the transducer is quite hefty and robust, although it isn't uncomfortable in the ear, nor does it feel like it's going to fall out.  The carry case is very good - again, excellent fit and finish, holds the phones well, and offers good protection.  However, the case is a tad bulky (it's a little tall, and I wish it were lower profile for better pocketability).  Indeed, I end up carrying the headphones coiled up in a jacket pocket most of the time instead of using the case, but the case still stays in my work bag and gets used when I don't need to have the headphones immediately at hand.

Ergonomics are also very good.  I find the H3's very comfortable for extended periods - they sit securely, and despite their apparent heft, they don't feel like they're at risk of falling out, nor do they cause any discomfort.  I have a couple of minor quibbles - the H3 is not petite enough to stay comfortably in the ear while you lay your head on a pillow (to be fair, very few IEMs can pass the side-sleeper comfort test), and second, the mic and controls are on the left-hand side.  Since I do use these headphones for taking phone calls, I will sometimes leave only one ear in, with the other hanging loose, especially if I'm in the car where it's essential not to block your awareness of the sounds around you.  My preferred choice would put the controls and mic on the right-hand side, but I wouldn't call this a deal-breaker for taking phone calls.  The dangling ear piece is a bit pendulous due to it's weight, and I find it needs to be held on to or tucked behind a jacket or into a shirt pocket to keep it from swinging around.

The inline controls are OK - nicely styled with decent buttons and click feel, though I find it a bid difficult to consistently distinguish the middle button from the 'up' and 'down' buttons by tactile feel alone...  I usually have to run my fingers up and down a bit to find the ridges and orient myself before clicking.  The extra time and attention required to operate the inline controls is just enough to stand out as a lump in an otherwise smooth experience.  So some improvement could be used here - the crummy Apple earbuds which came with my iPhone have a recessed center button, and you can tell in an instant whether your finger is positioned on the middle, top, or bottom button.  Though it's a bit of a subtle issue, I find this to be a constant annoyance - probably my one real peeve with these phones.

Overall, I find these to be an excellent day-to-day headphone for varied use (not just intense audiophile music listening).  The H3's absolutely destroy mass-market earbuds, are great for casual music listening, and are near perfect for audiobooks and long conference calls.  For the price paid (about $135 with a special discount), I think they're an outstanding value.  Even at the regular list price of $200, I think they're still a good value, but you can sometimes find the H3's new at about $150 if you shop around or wait for sales.

Quick summary:

- Very good but not excellent sound quality - great for extended listening
- Comfortable with good but not great isolation
- Excellent fit & finish, great aesthetics
- Good ergonomics, with exception of tactile orientation of controls, left-side mic / buttons, and thickness for side sleeping
- Very good value for a high quality all-purpose headphone

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #24 of 35
I do not simply go out and buy B&O blindly. I research and choose what brand and product best suits my needs and this review is by far one of the best I have ever read. The review is informative, well structured, detailed, and unbiased.  Thank you for providing me the information necessary to make and well informed decision. Because of this review I will purchase the Beoplay H3 headphones.

Oops someone has said that already, but conveys my sentiments in it's entirety thank you @xaf

At the discounted price in the UK of £115 with delivery the following day worthy of a try and not likely to break the bank

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #25 of 35
I have had the B&O H3 for a few days now so just a quick summary of my findings.

These I have bought primarily for casual use, those occasions where a total seal as obtained with Comply and other IEM or even CIEM was not needed. For times where I knew the music would needed to be stopped occasionally, while out shopping or in an environment where total isolation would not be required. I needed an IEM that would not fitting precisely and too deep within my ear canals, but I did not want to make sacrifices on SQ.

But initially with the medium tip, I had thought I had wasted my money. It sounded weak with no real presence or soundstage to write home about. What didn't help was having the RHA T20 which not only had the soundstage, but bass to match. But once I had changed to the large silicone tip, all was transformed, that shy bass came out of hiding, that soundstage cranked itself up a notch or two and puffed out it's chest and music to please was the result. Yes a good fit and seal is required to appreciate the best from these IEM's 

The bass went deep but reasonably controlled, music wise I do have a preference for Jazz and Classical, where instruments such as the Double Bass in Jazz and Cello and Double Bass in classical can get lost in a pool of muddiness, I found the H3 to pick theses out and offer up dirty low down bass (I mean that a good low down bass BTW
rolleyes.gif
) but the mids and high were not sacrificed either. 

The design with the precisely drilled vents on the housing were designed to offer up a more open sound and soundstage, which for me worked, this, however, to the cost of total noise isolation, but as stated above this were not the prime requirements for this IEM. For a commute I would more than likely use either the PSB M4U-4 or my RHA T20, but for walking down a busy street where one would need to be aware of ones surrounding and musicality has not been sacrificed

My RHA T20, PSB M4U-4, Echobox Finder X1 and my SE 535 have all been relegated to the subs bench for now as I have found, for my own uses and personal tastes, not only have the H3 met the requirements set out above, but have in itself a sound signature and soundstage that has satisfied my needs.  YMMV

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 35
What is so special about jack in Н3? Or you are stating that any jack should be angled?
The durability and integrity is weak. I've even read that people have dislodged the stainless steel casing on the jack just by pulling on it to take them off their player. I love the h3, but the are not built rugged by any stretch. When in your pocket the cable near the jack can bend and start to cause problems

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #29 of 35
I should say this jack is somewhere from average to high in durability if copmared to other stock straight designs around. Steel enclosure is just outer design feature, it can be easilly fixed with a drop of glue. We never had many repair issues with this model, at least not that much to say their construction is a flaw.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #30 of 35
I got some B&O H3 free with a LG V20.  ....The tips they come with are terrible. The tips the H3 comes with are too shallow, don't seal for me and are complete rubbish.  I am thinking they went with looks and ease of use over sound quality with the tips.  I recommend trying some tips off your other IEMs.  They can turn your B&O H3 from ear buds into IEMs.

Put some deeper, better sealing tips on them and you will get better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back