REVIEW - AUNE AUDIO S16 - Single box DAC and Headphone Amplifier.
Jun 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #61 of 95
  hi
could somebody explain the effect of the different filters ???? SHARP   SLOW ???
thanks

I don't no what the technical difference is, but having been listening to the S16 for the last couple of weeks, I'm not convinced that there's any significant audible difference.

Some of my listening tests pointed to the Fast LD1 as the best sounding, but it didn't seem to be a cosinstent choice. I ended up using the Slow SD2 most of the time, mainly because that's the default setting when you turn on S16.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #62 of 95
Got S16

I like it quite well as a hp dac/amp combo

But I wonder can it be used with active speakers when connected via XLR cables? Can I regulate the speaker volume with the big black knob?

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #63 of 95
You can use xlr-cables to connect to active speakers, but you can't use the big black knob to control the volume. The S16 doesn't work as a preamp. So you have to control the volume either on the speakers or on the computer.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #65 of 95
I am seriously thinking to get a S16 based on information I gather so far.
One question about the akm4495 chip's 768k capability, since S16 highest input is 384Khz from USB,
will this ak4495 chip do up-sampling before output to analog?

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #66 of 95
Hi all

For those interested in the difference between the digital filters, here is a link I found: 

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/akm-verita-4490-dac/

Not the exact same DAC chip but I guess the principle still applies.

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #69 of 95
The unit I purchased must be powered on and off multiple times to get rid of the garbled audio when connected vial optical to my consoles, but it works fine otherwise.  It does not have enough power to drive AKG K712's comfortably, but it handles my Beyerdynamic T90 well (70-85/100 volume is good depending on the source) and barely has enough power for my friends DT 990 600 ohm.  The sound quality is amazing, but my reference points are limited to my former receiver, Fiio X5 and essence hdacc.  It's a clear step-up from my overly bassy receiver, more detailed and refined than my X5, but I had a hard time discerning a difference between it and my hdacc.  The main difference I could pick up on was the closeness of vocalists who sounded closer on the S6 and further away on the hdacc.

DT 990 600 ohm from Mass Drop

T90 Jubilee

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #70 of 95
Will this bring any significant discernible improvement from my current Creative X-FI HD USB (DAC: AKM AK4396VF), both use AKM  DACs. I plan to move the older X-FI DAC at work to listen towith beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80Ohm, and use this at home if it sounds better.

Listening Path
PC USB > Creative Sound Blaster Omni Optical Out > X-FI HD USB Line Out > Tannoy 502 Studio Monitors

Couldn't find it's SnR value on AUNE AUDIO S16?

Creative X-FI HD
http://www.head-fi.org/t/535801/creative-x-fi-hd-usb-revealed

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #71 of 95
Hi all,

a newbie on this forum and also in the world of headphone amps and DAC's.

I am currently thinking of bying either this Aune S16 or Cambredge Audio DacMagic Plus. If it would be only based on price, one would think that Aune is a class better. But CA has also been getting good reviews all around. Which one would you go for? 

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #72 of 95
  Hi all,

a newbie on this forum and also in the world of headphone amps and DAC's.

I am currently thinking of bying either this Aune S16 or Cambredge Audio DacMagic Plus. If it would be only based on price, one would think that Aune is a class better. But CA has also been getting good reviews all around. Which one would you go for? 

I choose between the same units a few months ago and picked the Aune since the Cambridge's headphone amplifier is not supposed to be that great, but it is possible to buy the Cambridge along with an external amplifier like the praised JDS Labs Objective 2 for only a bit more than the Aune (basing this on US prices).  If you have 600ohm Beyerdynamic headphones then you will definitely need an external amplifier since none of these can provide enough volume.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #73 of 95
  I choose between the same units a few months ago and picked the Aune since the Cambridge's headphone amplifier is not supposed to be that great, but it is possible to buy the Cambridge along with an external amplifier like the praised JDS Labs Objective 2 for only a bit more than the Aune (basing this on US prices).  If you have 600ohm Beyerdynamic headphones then you will definitely need an external amplifier since none of these can provide enough volume.

Thanks for the comment. I'm running AKG 702 and Sennheiser HD650 . I have also been turning a bit towards Aune, but still thinking. I should just take some time and go to the shop with my gear and do some live comparison, but there just never seems to be time...

I have MUFI X-Can v3 sitting on the shelf and maybe I just could try that one with the DaacMagic Plus... More possibilities to think about, so luckily I'm not in a hurry...

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #74 of 95
  Thanks for the comment. I'm running AKG 702 and Sennheiser HD650 . I have also been turning a bit towards Aune, but still thinking. I should just take some time and go to the shop with my gear and do some live comparison, but there just never seems to be time...

I have MUFI X-Can v3 sitting on the shelf and maybe I just could try that one with the DaacMagic Plus... More possibilities to think about, so luckily I'm not in a hurry...

Check out the Arcam irDac (lots of reviews are available via Google), Essence HDACC and JDS Labs Objective 2 or Gustard H10 amplifier.  Both the JDS Labs O2 and Gustard should be powerful enough for the 702's when watching blu-ray's while the Aune is not, and I doubt the DAC Magic Plus is either.  The Aune is meant to be an all in one for those with DSD files and no speakers since it lacks a pre-amp. 

Choosing a DAC and amp is difficult since very, very, very few reviewers test a broad range of devices, and because of the subjective aspect.  I purchased the S16 first because I like the way it looks, but ended up with an Essence HDACC since the S16 I had didn't always work properly.  I just discovered that Amazon US is selling the Sony UDA-1 for 460$; the UDA-1 is a steal for that price since it too can play DSD files and has a very, very powerful amplifier.  A relative purchased the Sony was on sale for 500$ in Canada (where I live; the Sony is 800$ after tax normally) last May and let me test drive it, hence the recommendation, plus reviews are very positive.  I purchased the HDACC since I wanted more inputs (two optical), a remote and a unit with a built in pre-amp for speakers, but I would definitely start with the Sony UDA-1 since it is cheaper and can be easily returned to Amazon if you live in the US.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #75 of 95
  Check out the Arcam irDac (lots of reviews are available via Google), Essence HDACC and JDS Labs Objective 2 or Gustard H10 amplifier.  Both the JDS Labs O2 and Gustard should be powerful enough for the 702's when watching blu-ray's while the Aune is not, and I doubt the DAC Magic Plus is either.  The Aune is meant to be an all in one for those with DSD files and no speakers since it lacks a pre-amp. 

Choosing a DAC and amp is difficult since very, very, very few reviewers test a broad range of devices, and because of the subjective aspect.  I purchased the S16 first because I like the way it looks, but ended up with an Essence HDACC since the S16 I had didn't always work properly.  I just discovered that Amazon US is selling the Sony UDA-1 for 460$; the UDA-1 is a steal for that price since it too can play DSD files and has a very, very powerful amplifier.  A relative purchased the Sony was on sale for 500$ in Canada (where I live; the Sony is 800$ after tax normally) last May and let me test drive it, hence the recommendation, plus reviews are very positive.  I purchased the HDACC since I wanted more inputs (two optical), a remote and a unit with a built in pre-amp for speakers, but I would definitely start with the Sony UDA-1 since it is cheaper and can be easily returned to Amazon if you live in the US.

Thanks, will look for those and also check the reviews. I'm based in Finland, so prices are usually something else :frowning2: and this makes it tricky fro finding a good deal. For me the amount of inputs is also critical, since I should be able to connect four devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back