REVIEW - AUNE AUDIO S16 - Single box DAC and Headphone Amplifier.
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #46 of 95
stuartmc, So, it has been a while since you compare X12 vs S16. Could you bring the final compare? Shortly. Pos and cons for each model.

May be anyone suddenly compare Teac UD-501 and X12 and/or S16?

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #47 of 95
Here is what I had to say over at the Gustard thread:

I have done another A-B session with the Aune S16 compared to the Gustard X12 and these new cans have pretty much sealed the deal. I'll be keeping the X12. I previously identified the S16 as having a more lean and airy presentation. That didn't sound too bad with the 400i because thier midbass and lower midrange was a little bumped up. The 560 is much more neutral through this critical range, so the S16 ends up sounding just a little too thin. The X12's more extended bottom end, moist midrange and dynamic capabilities play perfectly with the 560's sound. The extra resolving power of the 560 also shows off the finer details revealed by the X12. I will be doing more critical listening over the next few days, but I doubt that these impressions will change.

I did some more of that critical listening tonight and with the help of the HE-560's resolving powers, I was able to confirm my previous findings. The X12 has a blacker, quieter background around images. Definitely less of that typical halo and haze around things. A little more richness in the midrange and better low bass extension. One should be mindful of the possible synergy I have going on. I am running both DACs balanced into the Gustard H10 amplifier and listening through the Hifiman HE-560. It could be that the X12 is uniquely matched to this other gear.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #48 of 95
Hi Everyone, hope all well.

Just have a question regarding this DAC. It says that it is a USB BUS POWERED DAC does that mean that the DAC will only function if plugged into a USB?
It also has a mains connection so don't quite understand that statement? New to DAC's so sorry if this is a stupid question.

I will not only be playing music via my laptop to an integrated amplifier but I am also looking to use this with a CD player as a Transport so before I buy want to make sure I fully understand that it will meet all my requirements.

cheers

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #49 of 95
Im about to buy this little beast only because the digital section 
biggrin.gif
. And latter Lampize its outputs!
beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #52 of 95
Who knows what is the output impedance of S16? I'm looking for great DAC/AMP with near zero output impedance...

Added: According to AUNE support, output impedance is 30 Ohm. So S16 designed to be best with high impedance headphones...

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #53 of 95
i am new on this forum and i was very exciting about the aune s16, most of my music (flac and 24bit audio) is stored on the nas.
my question is, how can i get the music from the nas to the aune s16 without a notebook ?
maybe a android tablet with usb and some special software ?
i don't want to pay 400$ for a pioneer n-p01 only to transport digital music,
have someone a solution ?
thanks for any answers

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #54 of 95
  Hello people! I received today the Soundaware D200 "digital turntable" and Aune S16 DAC from Singapore

hello, you have the same equipment i think about it to buy, it's hard to find some reviews about the soundaware d200, what about the handling and the file browsing, is it easy or complicated, can you controll it with a android tablet ?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #55 of 95
  hello, you have the same equipment i think about it to buy, it's hard to find some reviews about the soundaware d200, what about the handling and the file browsing, is it easy or complicated, can you controll it with a android tablet ?

>  it's hard to find some reviews about the soundaware d200

It's true, i got it according to the chinese specifications only, but wasn't disappointed. From this time i forgot about USB, synchronous, asynchronous, Xmos, I2S, Foobar,JRiver and other PC-audio things. They all are dead for me. "Digital turntable" just do they all.

> what about the handling and the file browsing

It's very easy simple hyerarchical file system. Just browse, sitting in your chair with cup of coffee, by supplyed remote controll stick from root to your device folders (two HDDs, NAS or TF-card), then to your music folders etc.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #56 of 95

there is a guy from Poland, famous guy, Lukasz,  on the diy world. He is famous for modding old CD players by removing the output and using Tubes instead of solid state. He is the Lampizator.

http://www.lampizator.eu

Regards!

Very interesting. Hearing about how one person wrote it has less bass than the X12 I'd be interested to see if more bass can be extracted from this DAC. I really think the topology and layout is something way out of it's price range. I just feel that I can't over speculate off of one person's opinion. I need to find a way to hear this DAC without losing a lot of money in the process. Oh well I got a vintage Theta that I still haven't gotten over it's ridiculously fantastic sound for the price I got it on eBay for

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #58 of 95
I know the first reviewer said it doesn't sound very good with a pair of HD800 but I wonder if anyone else has any experience as well with this setup. I'm considering the S16 straight vs Valhalla 2 with a Fiio X3 as dac (can extend to say a Modi 2 uber for a dac). What are your opinions? :) Thanks!

May 5, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #59 of 95
@stuartmc
or anyone else that use the S16 with the hifiman he 400i
can you describe with more details the synergy of the S16 with the he 400i? or can you sagest any better dac/amp for the he 400i?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back