REVIEW - AUNE AUDIO S16 - Single box DAC and Headphone Amplifier.
Dec 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 95
Totally agreed with you guys on the capability of this DAC/Amp. Heard it yesterday, and I was blown away, especially the DAC segment. Pure enjoyment as I was hearing details sonically across the audio range that I never heard before on my TentLabs. Couldn't get a good sleep last night and could be opening my wallet soon as it has great synergy my transportable amp.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #19 of 95
Got mine on Friday! It's too early to post firm impressions as I would like to spend some time with the DAC (and let it settle a bit)  and ultimately avoid mind tricks when auditioning the new HiFi toys
biggrin.gif
 It does have quite unique and surprising sound trait. I could pick this DAC easily among the crowd!  No trace of digital harshness with quite extended and detailed low end and super imaging (most surprisingly depth). It's musical too. Very little congestion when dealing with complex music passages. USB converter is first rate (really black, noise free background) and I find it clearly better then Coax connection from M2Tech HiFace2.  It's very relaxed presentation and a bit on the lean side but definitely fatigue free - apart from the fact that S16 is very detailed. I've almost fall asleep last night with the music on, so that's a good sign. Headphone output is very useful. As I didn't have my HD600 handy,  did managed to quickly audition UltraSone Pro 900 yesterday and 50-60 volume is plenty. As Pro 900 is a bit V shaped I didn't have much trouble with brightness (confirming that S16 is not harsh) but treble detail extraction and bass extension itself were phenomenal. Will test midrange when HD600 is back as they are very mid-centric.

Surely, there is no need for external PSU as integrated one is of high quality and that's big plus in my view. Build quality is very good. It feels solid when handling. S16 is a bit bigger that expected but still within the acceptable compact norm. Volume dial is a bit wobbly but with quite useful and linear volume control. Speaking of volume control, S16 is based on asymmetric design so that headphone section is separated form the analogue output stage - so no pre-amp on analogue outputs. Honestly, at this price level is rare to find a DAC with integrated pre-amp of acceptable quality. You are much better off pairing S16 with dedicated pre-amp.. Drivers are stable (with ASIO support too) and based on stock XMOS development platform.

I do have some quirks with the balanced (XLR) output. Not sure if Aune implemented negative attenuators (sounds like -6dB)  in the balanced out section or it's input sensitivity on my amp ... but XLR volume level is significantly lower compared to unbalanced RCA outputs, so with the external amp I have to dial-in the volume more up north.

LCD display is very nice btw!  It's very elegant, not bright and with relatively large fonts for easy reading. Didn't have time to play with the available filters, selectable by long pressing the volume dial.

Couple of pictures:

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 95
Nice write up. Your descriptions almost similar to what I heard on Sat. Brand new set with that unique sound trait locked my jaw when I ran my first Dream Theatre track As I Am. Those bass lines, the soundstage especially the depth and overall sound presentation were so captivating. Imaging what it can do when it is settled down.
I didn't use the headphone out facility, was using my transportable amp with CIEM VE6 and my DX90 as transport. IMO, the DAC implementation is really good based on my hearing.
Will probably do another demo this coming weekend before i finalize my purchase.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #21 of 95
I have this aune s16 yesterday.

i have hugo and centrance to compare
these aune is a clear winner from centrance mini cx. very silent background and more detail.
compare to hugo it's not so far away almost there.

i have some concern itried to change the standard fuse to a audio grade fuse like hifituning supreme
when i opened the fuse holder there is two different type of fuse
one is 1.25 A. another one for backup is 3.15A. the 1.25A i think is fast blow fuse, the 3.15A dont shown anything it is just strange fuse like ceramic fuse
this different a make me afraid to change it.

can anyone here have this aune s16 check the fuse , how many ampere do you have?
thanks

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 95
I just changed out the fuse on mine and the one installed at the factory was 3.15A. The spare in the fuse holder was unmarked, so I assumed they knew what they were doing when they shipped with the 3.15A.  I put in a 3a 250v fast blow and called it a day.  

I have been listening intently to the S16 for 2 months now and I am very pleased with what I hear.  I can  agree with Incognito73 that this is a very detailed DAC that allows all the low level ambience cues to come through without sounding harsh or etched. This means that Imaging and soundstaging are superb.  I needed something else to compare to so I have the new Gustard X12 on the way. This is a very well executed ESS Sabre based DAC and is allegedly a detail monster. It will be interesting to see if the S16 can match it on the detail/resolution side of things.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #23 of 95
mine installed from the factory is 1.25a.
the spare is umarked same like yours and it is 3.15a.
ihave email aune . aune said the unmarked one is the expensive fuse they give for free to give us for tried it sound better aune said.
but aune hasn't answered my question about using fast blow or slow blow.

i think 3.15a is to much for dac. my tube amp that use hundred of watt using 3.15a fuse.

later i will post my result using hifituning black supreme fuse.
just want to sure it is safe using 3.15a

thanks for your response stuartmc

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #24 of 95
@ Stuart

That comparison would be interesting indeed. I've never auditioned ESS Sabre designs (mostly Burr Brown and AKM) and certainly did consider to try out some decent sample ... but I was sidetracked again as I wanted something a bit more esoteric. After few days, S16 still surprises me a lot! It's incredibly well put together DAC and it seems that Aune didn't save up on the design - namely digital isolators, FIFO buffer with ALTERA FPGA chip and 2 Crystek clocks, usually found in 2K+ designs. Let alone excellent USB implementation and PSU section.After few days of absolutely "negative distraction free" listening sessions I really can't complain on anything in particular, apart form a bit low XLR output levels.

Headphone amp is really good. Very clean with plenty of headroom, unless you opt for headphones on the very high end of the scale. I also have iFi iDSD Micro and S16 headphone amp is more dynamic, with better imaging and really clean treble. Still don't have DAC 2 DAC comparison as I can't level match them atm.  It's probably not fair comparison anyway, but idea is to have Micro as semi-portable solution and S16 as desktop only option integrated with my main system.

Anyhow, I was browsing the PCB picture other day and noticed that there are two adjustable pots (blue ones) just before the analogue output stage. It did cross my mind that they are maybe output attenuators. I do find RCA a bit hot and XLR a bit cold but i guess that only Aune can confirm what they are used for.

By the way, what's the best way to contact Aune via e-mail?

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #25 of 95
It is often recommended to use a higher value if you use a fast blow fuse, rather than slow blow. That is because slow blow fuses will handle the very brief turn on, turn off surges well above their stated value, while fast blow fuses will not. If I were to try to explain this fuse discrepancy, i would speculate the following - most of the basic high end fuses are fast blow because they use a more contiguous filament. It would therefore stand to reason that the more "expensive" fuse was fast blow and of higher value.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #26 of 95
@incognito you can email them at sales@auneaudio.com

they quick response my email in one day.

@stuart , to make sure i will wait for aune confirmation about what the best fuse to use , slow blow or fast blow
i will post here after i received the answer from aune soon

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 95
A rather positive "mini" review (French):

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/info/Hi-Fi-Guide/Bancs-d-essai/Aune-S16-Qobuzissime-pour-ce-DAC176486

Interestingly enough, they do have quite detailed  S16 "inside" pictures with good description of components. If someone is after a bit more (illustrated) technical brief, it's a good source. As I've suspected, there are some type of L/R voltage regulators just before analogue output stage (VR1/VR2 marks, picture in section "conversion, filtering"). 

I do wonder if S16 will benefit from 5V linear USB PSU on the source end. Actually, that's dependable if 5V USB power supply (from the source) is used only once for initial protocol handshake and initialisation by the the OS and then took over by S16.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #28 of 95
I am also wondering if they have a companion amp in the works.  At first I was disappointed by the lack of variable outputs, but given how the amp section seems to be "good" but not in the same comparative class as the DAC, it seems like they would want to make a performance statement with a matching amp.  If that happens, and it also has a preamp function, and is focused on SE rather than balanced performance, then I am very interested.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #30 of 95
I already got the answer from aune about the fuse. here is their answer

"Our normal one is 1.25 A fast , but you can change that 3.15A slow as the free one we send to you , the sound will be more better if use 3.15A"

so  the better one is the unmarked one that is slow blow fuse 3.15a. if you want to use the fastblow make sure it is 1.25a
i will  posting again with hifituning supreme black fuse slow blow after several days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back