[Review] Audio Technica Ckr-9: Experiencing Sound Reality
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #136 of 163

Contrary to some people's opinions on the ath-ckr9's 
wearability, this in-ear CAN be worn over ear.

@vlenbo How did you manage to wear in that way? I mean the pic looks like on your left ear. But when i tried, I can only wear this way if i switch the L housing to be use in the right side of my ear, and left side using right side instead.

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #138 of 163
  @vlenbo How did you manage to wear in that way? I mean the pic looks like on your left ear. But when i tried, I can only wear this way if i switch the L housing to be use in the right side of my ear, and left side using right side instead.

All I did was place the earphone over my ear, but reversed.

You have to switch the housings, and that's really the only way. Like pokenguyen stated, you would need to switch channels and buying a 3.5mm reverse channel will help you fix the change in channels.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #139 of 163
I've worn them both ways, easier to get a fit down, but don't find either an easy fit. The cable is quite microphonic, so if you're out and about, much better over ear

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #140 of 163
Is this effectively an isobaric IEM?

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #141 of 163
Has anyone tried Comply tips with these? If so, which is the correct size?

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #142 of 163

Some quick impressions, busy pre-holiday season (and too much stuff incoming, mostly the fault of the Deals Discussion Thread, to be able to spend what little listining time I have right now in detailed analysis...maybe on the holiday and coming weekend do some more).
1)nicest case I've gotten for an AT headphone in a while, mostly these awful bags with the string to tighten them, cinch bags...I hate those.
2)haven't yet gotten the fit on these I'd like, but that is a common problem I have with headphones with an external chamber and shallow fit.
3)no slider to tighten the headphones...no excuse for this except when there is a mike (these didn't have a mike), which leads to
4)very microphonic...won't work on walks, exercise, need to be in a quite state to be able to enjoy, microphonics make me batty.
I compared the sound to my IM70, which I'd say are of similar sound quality, though the sound is quite different. IM70 is richer sounding, has more bass and more "presence" than the ckr-9's. The ckr-9, howerver, has tighter, more focused bass, and, while less in quantity, is enough to drive the music, and the sharper edges and better definition make for a nice sense of drive. The mids and overall presentation of the ckr-9 is "cleaner", more sense of openness, less richness of timber than the IM70, though I'd say it's a toss up which one is "better"...more different flavors (to get a sense of what I'm describing, it is a bit like comparing the Ety ER-4 "just the facts m'am" presentation, and the JVC-850 woodie richness, though not quite that extreme).
Since many of my current mid tier iem's seem to be AWOL (they are in big trouble when I find them), I compared, for no good reason as it is not a fair comparison, to the Phonak Audeo 232, for no other reason than I just got them. It is definitely not a fair fight-the discontinued 232's listed for about $600, and are considered top tier. Sure enough, when I changed to the 232, a certain amount of grain became obvious to me on the ckr-9 that I hadn't noticed before. Still, not doing suicidal comparisons, I did find them enjoyable to listen to, with the caveats noted above.
Thanks Vlenbo for putting me on the tour, had fun, see if I can post some more at the end of the week.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #143 of 163
Would just like to know which one would suit me better the CKR9 or the CKR10? I'm looking for a iem that is rich/warm (but not bass heavy or very dark/congested either because I do like good clarity and some brightness in the upper mids/treble as well and I don't like slow lingering bass) and has full/lush/forward sounding vocals with a bit of warmth as well so that it sounds intimate/close and also smooth as well as if your sitting right next to the singer. I also like nice airy vocals with a good soundstage as well. Also imaging, speed, timbre and realism is also very important to me. 

I currently have the Sony Z1070 and the F887 but find my self using the F887 more due to portability but still prefer the sound of the Z because it's warmer, richer and more lush sounding so it sounds more emotional while the F has better clarity/resolution but it's too thin and analytical at times that makes it not as involving. So I'm looking for iem that pairs better with the F in order to sound closer to the Z's sound sig while still keeping the benefits that the F has.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #144 of 163
  Would just like to know which one would suit me better the CKR9 or the CKR10? I'm looking for a iem that is rich/warm (but not bass heavy or very dark/congested either because I do like good clarity and some brightness in the upper mids/treble as well and I don't like slow lingering bass) and has full/lush/forward sounding vocals with a bit of warmth as well so that it sounds intimate/close and also smooth as well as if your sitting right next to the singer. I also like nice airy vocals with a good soundstage as well. Also imaging, speed, timbre and realism is also very important to me. 

I currently have the Sony Z1070 and the F887 but find my self using the F887 more due to portability but still prefer the sound of the Z because it's warmer, richer and more lush sounding so it sounds more emotional while the F has better clarity/resolution but it's too thin and analytical at times that makes it not as involving. So I'm looking for iem that pairs better with the F in order to sound closer to the Z's sound sig while still keeping the benefits that the F has.

I think the Ckr10 would suits you better as vocal forward and it has a warm signature compared to the ckr9. But to get the best sound i would recommand you to get the spiral dot tips. Even though the bass quantity of the 10 is more than 9. For me it doest sound congested at all. Most people claim that the ckr9 bass is more natural than the 10. Feel free to correct me if im wrong.  =)

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #145 of 163
  I think the Ckr10 would suits you better as vocal forward and it has a warm signature compared to the ckr9. But to get the best sound i would recommand you to get the spiral dot tips. Even though the bass quantity of the 10 is more than 9. For me it doest sound congested at all. Most people claim that the ckr9 bass is more natural than the 10. Feel free to correct me if im wrong.  =)

Thanks for the rec. Is the CKR9 considered warm sounding? I don't need it to be really warm just enough so that nothing sounds too revealing/sibilant and so that vocals have a more emotional tonal character to them. Too much and it starts to sound a bit congested or lack clarity. Also are these two iems considered spacious? Are the vocals airy?

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #146 of 163
I don't spend much time with the CKR9, as i own CKR10 before. Vocal have more emotional tone in the 10. Other's i can't really comment on. Vocal on both of these sound forward. But the 10 would be abit more forward. Hence it sound nice to me especially female vocal track.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #147 of 163
Just saw your comment. Didn't know that I got a reply. Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll go with the CKR9's instead because I don't like heavy bass. All of the iems that I have atm is sort of bass light.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #150 of 163
I use the CRK10 as my go to daily listener even over iems that i have that are triple the price. The bass isnt over bearing it its more quality then quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back