Review: Audio Technica ATH-W1000X & ATH-ESW10 Japan
May 10, 2010 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

monsieurguzel

1000+ Head-Fier

For a little background, I have owned a pair of ESW10s for about 1.5 years and have since been looking for a suitable pair of full size closed headphones that would give me the same sound for my home rig.  I've owned the W1000X for a couple weeks now and have been listening and burning in this whole time.  The W1000X has about 250 hours of burn in while the ESW10 has at least 1000 hours on them.

Equipment Used: PS Audio Power Plant Premier > Macbook Pro > USB > PS Audio Perfectwave DAC > Woo Audio 5 (Shuguang 300B-Z Output, Shuguang CV-181-Z Driver, EML 5U4G Rectifier)

Song list:
Neil Young - Old Man - Greatest Hits [NYA]
The Cars - I’m Not the One - Shake It Up [MFSL]
Diana Krall - S’Wonderful - The Look of Love [XRCD24]
Wilco - Impossible Germany -  Sky Blue Sky
Sufjan Stevens - All The Trees Of the Field Will Clap Their Hands - Seven Swans
Beck - Paper Tiger - Sea Change [MFSL]
The Rolling Stones - Live With Me - Let It Bleed

Here is a diverse list of songs which I am very familiar with and am very good at telling the little differences between headphones on.  Instead of giving impressions on a song to song basis, I will summarize my findings in the following categories: Bass, Mids, Highs, Soundstage.  This is because I found that each headphone reacted similarly with all the songs that I played.

Aesthetic / Build Quality:

W1000X: This headphone is quite a handsome headphone with very clean lines.  The magnesium frame is very sturdily built and the 3D wings have been tweaked over the years, and you can tell that this is a great frame that will last.  The Wooden cups are of American Cherry wood and have a nice reddish / orange color with nice lacquer.  In terms of wood it looks a lot better than many Denon headphones and JVC and once again you can tell that ATH has spent a long time perfecting the art of making wooden full-size headphones.  The pads are made of a pleather-like and are a little thin for my tastes and not large enough inside for my ears.  I wish they were real leather as it would feel more quality.  As for the cable, it has a rubbery coating sheathing to it, but feels nice since it is lightweight and doesn’t tangle at all.  Wooden plug is a nice touch.

ESW10: This headphone has been criticized as having a slightly flimsy frame that presses on the ears too much.  But after having these 1.5 years and using them daily, I can tell you that these are great headphones in terms of comfort and durability.  They look the same as the day I bought them and have gotten more comfortable with time.  The frame needs bent a little to accommodate larger heads and to relieve pressure on the ears.  As of right now I can wear these almost all day without discomfort due to the leather pads.  The leather pads are very nice but not the nicest of sticking jobs, but are still great to have.  As for the wooden cups, they are really beautiful and have a much more deep coloring than W1000X due to the many many layers of lacquer that are on it.  I would call the style of this headphone’s styling functional and understated for casual people passing by, but once you hold them in your hand, you can tell the detail and craft of them.

Quick summary of sonic signatures:
W1000X : Relatively neutral (not dark) sound with a very expansive soundstage and a tip towards prominent bass.  
ESW10: Warmer two dimensional upfront sound with an emphasis on lush mids.

Lows:
W1000X: I consistently found this headphone to produce very deep bass in almost all the songs I played.  It was well controlled and nowhere near as loose as a Denon D5000 was in my book.  The bass extends very deep and can be a joy on neutral sounding songs, but sometimes overwhelming in bassy recording.  For example, the bassist on Diana Krall’s S’Wonderful would be overemphasized and at time compete with Diana Krall’s voice.

ESW10:   The bass feels well controlled and defined, but never really extends too deep in a song.  While it is quite satisfying, it can feel slightly recessed due to the mids being more upfront.  However, on songs that have prominent bass in them, this headphone can feel more balanced than the W1000X in this regard.

Mids:
W1000X:  The W1000X have very good mids in most songs, but I feel that they tend to get drowned out by the bass and treble, especially once that the volume levels are raised.  At lower volumes, lows, mids, highs are all on an equal plane with mids ever so slightly emphasized.  With higher volume, the growing bass and treble, compounded with the large-ish soundstage makes things like vocals a little bit too far back for my likings.  Many times, instruments can start to take a little more front stage than the vocals.  If it weren’t for the ESW10’s amazing mids, I would have been content with the W1000x.

ESW10:  This is really where this headphone truly excels!  I think that a combination of small, upfront soundstage and prominent mids make this headphone a joy to listen to.  I would characterize the mids as being very lush and liquid, extremely easy to listen to.  Singers and instruments all are very involving and intimate to listen, with great timber and tonality.  The mids are the reason why I cannot get rid of these headphones....they just always sound so right and I can never get tired of them.

Highs:
W1000X:  The highs on this headphone are really wonderful and well balanced with the rest of the spectrum.  Cymbals and high pitched guitar strings really sparkle and add a lot of dynamics to songs.  Even with these great and extended highs, it never feels fatiguing to my ears.

ESW10:  Treble is quite good, but sometimes feels a little rolled off and not as extended as on the W1000X most of the time.  Despite this, I wouldn’t call these headphones dark by any means and the lack of extended treble doesn’t quite bother me.  It can get a little fatiguing when a song has a lot of highs since the ESW10 can get a little congested at times.

Soundstage:
W1000X:  The W1000X soundstage is truly wonderful and expansive, which is something I would never have thought a closed headphone could do so well!  It isn’t as big of a soundstage as the HD800, but still allows for a lot of room / air between instruments, especially in Jazz and acoustic genres.  One is able to very easily pinpoint where the instrument in placed in the field of space.  This does have downsides though because the vocals also seem to be pushed back and at times get a little lost between all the other instruments.  This means that this headphone isn’t ideal for more classic rock songs where an upfront presentation is preferable.

ESW10:  Right away, one can tell that these are portable headphones by the relatively restricted soundstage compared to the W1000X.  To me the soundstage felt quite linear (2D) and not very expansive, meaning that instruments could be identified left, center, and right, but not in depth.  Vocals and instruments were very upfront, where the singer always felt he was 5ft away from me vs. 30-50ft on the W1000x, making songs feel more intimate at times.  This seemed to work a lot better on Rock songs and reminded me of a closed version of the Grado RS-1 in tonality.  However, when a musical passage gets overly complex and layered, the ESW10 has a harder time keeping up and sounds start to blend into one another.

Conclusion:
As you have probably read over and over again in my song impressions, I feel that each phone does things very differently based on what you might be interested in.  I don’t really see the W1000X as a full size successor to the ESW10JPN in any way and they are quite different in tone and character.  To me, one would get the ESW10 if they like a pretty forward set of headphones with upfront mids that are amazing to listen to.  They remind me a little of a more closed Grado RS-1 in terms of soundstage and upfront nature, but not as fatiguing to my ears.  For this great presentation that works wonderfully on electronica, rock, indie, jazz, you are sacrificing a little on the soundstage and on the bass and treble, but the headphone never really feels lacking in any of those departments.   

As for the W1000X, I think it is a wonderful headphone with a very good and balanced amount of bass, akin to the Denon D7000 headphone.  The soundstage is quite wonderful as is the bass and treble in the songs, but the mids feel not as forward as the the other ends of the sonic spectrum, especially at higher volumes.  I feel that this headphone is a lot more linear or with a very slight bit of a V-shaped sonic signature compared to the ESW10 which is more of an inverse - V.  This makes it not work too well with classic rock songs and ones that aren’t as well recorded, resulting in a thin and slightly more distant presentation of the song.  With most of the music I listen to, which is Jazz, Indie, Acoustic, 80s though it truly excels with.   Overall, I think you would be sacrificing the mids a little for much better soundstage, better controlled and deeper bass, and great sparkling highs that aren’t fatiguing.  Compared to the HD800s though, I feel that the mids are similarly presented, if only slightly more emphasized, thus making this a "neutral" can tipped towards bass.

I personally plan on keeping the ESW10 JPN and the W1000X since they both capture different aspects of the music and complement each other quite well.  However, I still plan on searching for the ultimate closed full size can that can do it all (Stax 4070 maybe?).

​

May 10, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 30
Great review monsieurguzel!! I was quite looking for the same thing : full-size headphones with very good mids, and was interested in some wooden cans, but I know they won't be W1000X, thanks to you :) Very useful insight here, and comparison with ESW10 was really necessary. Thanks!

May 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 30
Thank you for the kind words.  This was my first review on this site (even though I've been frequenting this place forever).  Hopefully I didn't ramble on too much.  Don't get me wrong about my conclusion though, the W1000X are really a delight to own and I very much appreciate them for what they do.  Like all headphones though (even the crazy expensive ones), they have certain flaws and are not perfect with every kind of music genre.

May 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 30
Absolutely not. I got good information 
smile_phones.gif

May 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 30
Nice review monsieurguzel. 

I have posted several times on the W1000X, but I think we hear their SQ slightly differently.  This may be because of different music that we listen to, as I listen mostly to classical music, and partly due to a difference in amps/DACs. My amp/DAC is a RWA Isabellina HPA with a Macbook Pro source, using USB.  I play primarily lossless files, and many of my classical recordings are '70s and 80's recordings.

To me they have a slightly 'sweet' tone compared to neutral.  They remind me a lot of old British speakers such as Tannoy Monitors, but with more detail. Very musical and involving!

I find the mids to be a little forward, although I couldn't place where in the dynamic range this is on a graph, as it could be in the treble region and not the mids.

They have an impressive 3D soundstage, which you mention.  I would say about the same width as HD650s, but with far better depth - and significantly better detail.

I will likely bring mine to CanJam to try them with different amps., although I am very satisfied with how they pair with my Isabellina HPA.

May 10, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 30
Yeah, that is the problem with reviews is that everybody's equipment reacts differently to different headphones.  The tubes in my Woo5 amp are actually known for being a little on the bassier side, which I really enjoy for headphones like HD800 which need a little boost.

I look forward to meeting you at Canjam and I will be attending also.  I wish I could bring some of my equipment but it would be such a pain to bring a Woo5 on an airplane :)

May 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 30
Thank you VERY much for this detailed review... it was just what I was looking for!

It seems that they're not as similar as I thought they were initially, so you may have saved me some bucks here. 
smile_phones.gif
   And so my search for an closed/circumaural ESW10JPN continues...

May 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 30
Terrific review - well done.  While I hear the mids more as Ridleyguy does - just a little forward - I think it's crucial to have multiple review voices on gear, so that members here can get different opinions from different people with different gear and music.

So, well done
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 30
Great review monsieurguze! I think it is a little bit strange that you find the mids to be recessed as mostly the AT sound is forward mids. I guess that is what makes this stuff so subjective.  

To skylab: A HE5-LE vs W1000X comparison would be really interesting :)

May 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 30
At lower volumes I don't find them recessed in any way and find the headphone to be very linear.  However with higher volume I feel that the bass and treble have a tendency to overpower the mids ever so slightly.  Granted you have to take this subjectively since I was doing a direct comparison with the ESW10, which has very forward mids and more closed soundstage.  By A/Bing back and forth each headphone I felt that there was a very different presentation of the music on each headphone.  Granted, if I were doing a comparison with the HD800, the comparison of mids might have been a little different since both headphones have large soundstage and more linear mids.  I guess my point is being that the W1000X doesn't have as much of a Mid bump as many other Audio Technicas might have, making these a good general purpose headphone that is easy to listen to.

Quote:
Great review monsieurguze! I think it is a little bit strange that you find the mids to be recessed as mostly the AT sound is forward mids. I guess that is what makes this stuff so subjective.  

To skylab: A HE5-LE vs W1000X comparison would be really interesting :)

May 11, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 30
great review and lovely photos that do justice to the beauty of these headphones!
Like some others here I too felt the mids to be forward on my very short listening, though it could have been the setup or the unfamiliar music at the shop I tried. 
will be heading to Japan in 10 days so hopefully will get a second chance to listen to w1000x and tried them out. 

thanks for the great review
beerchug.gif

May 11, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 30
Very nice review.  Clear and easy to read.

The pads may not be pleather but a Japanese synthetic hide called Clarino.  Its structure is very close to that of real cow hide but more durable.  AT uses it on the A1000X and A2000x.

May 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 30
Am I the only one that doesn't like the Clarino earpads? I tried them on my L3000, but they completely change the sound signature, because they have more padding than the original leather pads, so the drivers are further away from your ears.

Although the extra padding does make them somewhat more comfortable because your ears don't touch the driver mesh anymore, I just don't like the way they feel against your head.
IMO they should stick with (p)leather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back