[Review] Audio Technica ATH-IM02 - Re-living The CK10 Sound
Feb 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kingpintps

100+ Head-Fier
My first proper review on Head-Fi - please be kind :) (sorry about the crappy pictures in advance)

Kept the review short so happy to answer questions in the thread.

Background: I have been an audio enthusiast for about 10 years now. Living in India, access to quality audio hardware has always been an issue in the past - where most of the people are concerned about bigger problems in life, this has not been an easy (or cheap) hobby to pursue or maintain (and absolutely not something I would have wanted to complain about too much - it's a luxury here!). Where 99% of the music plugged in crowd was happy with the cheap earphones, there was little value for retailers to import such expensive gear. Thankfully, with the boom of e-commerce recently in the country and expansion of Amazon's global shipping options, quality gear is finally becoming more accessible!

Since cost has always been a factor in importing audio gear, most of the time I have been only able to hold on to 1-2 pieces of hardware of a certain form to make way for a much more nomadic and consequently expensive lifestyle. I downgraded all my audio hardware to more reasonable gear ditching some very nice speakers, headphones and earphones in the process (some of them like q-Jays I still regret). When I came across the news about launch of an all new IEM line from Audio Technica - I became super excited! I had absolutely loved the sound of ATH-CK10 and even though I got a very good price for selling them after using for about 2 years, I increasingly regretted that decision and missed the signature AT sound. They really were the perfect earphones for me - great speed, accuracy, incredibly detailed, respectable sound stage, compact earpieces that sat flesh with the ear, and incredible build quality. The only two issues I had with them were 1. That they would not stay inside the ear canal for me consistently and 2. Their sibilant treble which would sometimes drive me crazy after a busy day at work.

Since I currently only possess the UE 500 as my sole set of earphones and v-Jays as my only headphones, my reference point would be from memory of the previous ones I have used, primarily ATH-CK10, since the rest don't sound anywhere as good.

Source: Cowon J3 

Amplification: None

Decision and Purchase: After reading number of opinions on the new IEM line for AT, I picked out ATH-IM02 as my target. It seemed to fit in with my preference of clear, transparent sound with a tight bottom end. I also wasn't a fan of the bulkier size of IM03 or IM04 since my ears are on the smallish side. Even though I wanted to try a 3/4 driver earphone, I realized that ATH-IM02 was the perfect fit for me as a complete package!

Placed an order on Amazon on 16 Jan 2015 from their market place retailer "Export-from-Kobe" who were shipping it directly from Japan. The pair directly sold and shipped by Amazon from US would have cost me close to $215 with shipping and custom duty. I only paid $160 inc. shipping for the Japan export. They were shipped using standard EMS with tracking and were delivered on 30 Jan. Packaging was great as expected and the contents were new and in great condition.

Packaging and Accessories: Great packaging quality as expected from AT. Much better than the rather minimal packaging of CK10. The earphones comely safely housed in a strong foam cutout placed neatly inside a solid cardboard box with the carry case holding the additional ear-tips at the bottom. Comes with a carry case + 3 pairs of silicone tips (S/M/L), 1 pair of Comply tips

Build Quality: Spectacular! I was getting flashbacks of holding CK10 when I pulled these out the box. The cable is just as thick, strong and easy to unwind as on the CK10. The earpieces themselves are built of translucent plastic housings which feel super solid in the hand - though I'm not a fan of their look and size. CK10 looked amazing in comparison with the brushed metal plates and were only half the size with same number of BA drivers. ATH-IM02 do look more serious than CK10 however, which is a good thing. I love the guided cable which make it much easier to hold the earpieces in my ears - something I found sorely lacking in CK10. The carrying case supplied with ATH-IM02 is again, almost twice the size of the round one that came with CK10. I like the idea of having more space to store the earphones but I would struggle to fit these comfortably in my jeans pocket with a cell phone, car keys and wallet - something which was quite easy with the CK10 case. Build quality and look and feel of the case however, is much more refined and definitely a step in the right direction!

Comfort: Average. This is the only area where I would have hoped for a more complete package in IM02. The earpieces are on the larger side and definitely don't fit as comfortably in my ears as q-JAYS or CK10. I have to pull my earlobe up to make them fit inside every time I wear them, which means it's not easy to take them out or put them in on the go as easily. The real + is the form-able cable guides which do a great job of keeping the earphones in their place whether I am walking or moving around the house - something I had major issues with on CK10 which would fall out every time I even tilted my head. IM02 sit flush with the ear but when lying on the side of my face, I can feel them poking deeper inside my ear - again, not as comfortable for sleeping with as CK10, but not too much of a pain either – it is possible!

Sound – 8.5/10: Plugging these in to my Cowon J3 and playing my favourite EDM tracks was bliss! I was instantly transported to the time I had first tried the CK10 and I couldn’t believe how similar the ATH-IM02 sounded to CK10 sans the sibilance. They sound clean, super transparent, fast and extremely detailed – exactly the reasons I missed dual driver balanced armature drivers vs. dynamic drivers. By the time I finished my first track, I knew I would not at all regret my decision.

Bass – 8/10: ATH-IM02 sound very similar to CK10 to my ears – slightly less quantity of bass but very well defined with a solid punch in the EDM tracks. Compared to UE500’s dynamic driver, the bass here is much more refined and well mannered. On the UE500 I can almost feel the driver bloating under pressure and the slowness of decay. This is the perfect quantity of bass for me – whether it’s hard hitting EDM, smooth Jazz or contemporary pop, but for those of you who love bass, ATH-IM02 may leave you underwhelmed.

Mid-Range – 9/10: Again, the mid-range of ATH-IM02 reminds me very much of CK10. Very very detailed – UE500 and q-JAYS were clearly very V-shaped when compared to ATH-IM02. Songs come alive with these and the vocals sound extremely smooth and realistic.

Treble – 9/ 10: This is an area where for my ears ATH-IM02 trump the CK10 – purely because of the lack of sibilance. To most experts out these this would be regarded as a rolled-off high frequency range – but for me this is just perfect and definitely more of a musical sound. I find the details and brightness of the high frequency just right and cannot sense that much of a difference compared with CK10. Not having to endure sibilance means I can have these plugged into my ears for more than 1 hour without any fatigue – makes it the perfect earphones for me!

Conclusion: Audio Technica fans you will not be disappointed! I have been a long-time fan of CK10 and kudos to AT for keeping the same sound signature as those legendary earphones while fixing the sibilance issues and improving the wear ability. I’m not a fan of how these look and their rather bulky size – but these are small compromises to make considering their awesome sound, absolute flawless build quality and great fit and comfort. I read some reviews online before purchasing these that said that they sounded much darker and the sound had been made too smooth to compete with Sennheiser’s and Shure’s of the world – I’m sorry, I don’t agree I’ve heard Shure 425 and Sennheiser IE8 and these sound much brighter to me. Most of all – I’m so happy I finally have the CK10 sound ringing day in and day out in my ears again – without the sibilance. 

Value for Money: STEAL! At their current market price of around $150 - I cannot think of a better pair of earphones which offer such a complete package. I was not looking for the best earphones that money can buy, but rather the perfect earphones for my needs under a budget of $300. At this price, I am a very very happy Head-Fi'er. Thank god now I don't have to buy the Sennheiser's and Shure's - no offence, but my heart (and ears) belong to Audio Technica. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 13
The T-PEOS Altone 200 has been very popular around the price range that these fall into. Have any idea how they compare?

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 13
The T-PEOS Altone 200 has been very popular around the price range that these fall into. Have any idea how they compare?

Sorry, I don't have them for a direct comparison. From the reviews I read on Altone 200, they look to be very accomplished! Why didn't I choose them over the IM02 for my preference? The reviews put their sound as more dry and slightly recessed mids. I don't find the steel housings particularly appealing for my rather sensitive ears - which breathe better with soft plastic or rubber contact. Keep in mind my priority was not to find th best sound for the buck, but the best overall package for daily use - with the sound, comfort, formable cables and carry case - IM02 suit me better.

Excellent review! I like it very much.

Thanks - good to hear that! :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Excellent review! Thanks for the time spent to put it together.

They are now on my radar.

Awesome - thank you for reading. If you do get your hands on them, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Nice review, and thanks for doing it!  How well do these isolate the sound/ block out ambient noise?  I'm using Bose QC20 right now, but I would really like to move on.  The active noise cancelling is nice, but overall sound quality is not amazing for it's high price range. =P

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 13
I've been looking for headphones like these. Very tempting purchase... Is the cable replaceable on these? This is important as I need IEMs with a replaceable cable. Thanks!

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 13
I​t does, all the phones in AT IM line has the same detachable cables included in the box... AT made another cable for upgrade, but that itself is quite pricey. Me myself quite satisfied with the cable included with my IM50

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Very nice review! I'm an owner of the IM50 and ben looking at the IM02 fo possible future upgrade... I'l try to find the demo after this... Once again... Great review! :D

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 13
I thought you did a very well review of the phones. Great job.

Thank you!! Cheers :)

Nice review, and thanks for doing it!  How well do these isolate the sound/ block out ambient noise?  I'm using Bose QC20 right now, but I would really like to move on.  The active noise cancelling is nice, but overall sound quality is not amazing for it's high price range. =P

Pretty decent isolation for me - the improved fit because of the cables does help. Not sure how to quantify the isolation for you but it is way better than CK10 for me. I would think it would be pretty comparable to any other 2/3 driver universal fit earphone <$500 - I would probably rate it closer to Shure SE425 from the earphones that I have heard.

I've been looking for headphones like these. Very tempting purchase... Is the cable replaceable on these? This is important as I need IEMs with a replaceable cable. Thanks!

Yes, replaceable cable and the connections are SUPER solid - one of the best replaceable cable solutions in this price range as far as I know. 

Very nice review! I'm an owner of the IM50 and ben looking at the IM02 fo possible future upgrade... I'l try to find the demo after this... Once again... Great review!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!! :) - would be interested to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to demo these. 

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 13
This is quite an old one indeed, bu I see in your sig that you still got the IM02, I'm glad that people keep on using it even after so long, so I'm now in too (not just IM02 either, suffice to say I'm neck deep in this hobby now haha!)
First it's very smooth, I didn't actually expect this, tho of course it can't be said to be warm, my Nuforce is warm and rolled off on the highs, these, doesn't.
First time using popping it in my ears it's clear this thing hot detail, clear and actually have quite clear imaging, that's the most surprising part of me, the pinpoint imaging is, pretty nice.

Soundstage tho, not so much, as is the other AT IEM I used in this price range, it is quite small in comparison to the width and depth the IM04 and XBA A3 has.
It also has less female vocal emphasis I thought it would have, I think I got more from my E40 than this.

But that fine, that's not why I pick the IM02 after all, it's for the neutrality, reference tuning, it's great for sound demo comparison and when I need to do some editing. It's kinda more of a work IEM than music enjoyment for me ATM.
Not bad by all means, but... That case is small~ E40 and IM04 has much bigger ones that can hold more stuffs in it, I prefer those as I don't use these expensive gears for dailies, those are for my $5 sport earbuds, if those broke, I won't cry haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back