Review: Audio-Technica ATH-CK7
Apr 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 34
Very interesting to read this review. Without the kind bump I wouldn't have stumbled across it
wink.gif

The CK7 were my second InEars after being terrified by Creative's ep630. I truly loved them and sold them just because I needed the money to upgrade to the Shure E4G which I still own. IMHO the CK7 have a slight mid-bass hump, at least if you compare them with the E4G.

It's interesting to see that most of you CK7-appreciators like headphone similar to those I prefer.

May 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 34
Nice color. Too bad the price has gone up. They were a STEAL when you could get them everywhere for $69, and then they were $100, and now these brownish ones are $129. Still a great earphone, but no longer the bargain of the century. I think Amazon still has them for about $70 from time to time.

May 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice color. Too bad the price has gone up. They were a STEAL when you could get them everywhere for $69, and then they were $100, and now these brownish ones are $129. Still a great earphone, but no longer the bargain of the century. I think Amazon still has them for about $70 from time to time.

only at warehouse123 but the silver ones. the brownies must be audiocubes exclusive i dont know

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the ck7 compare to the sennheiser hd 555?

Wait are you really asking this? IEM vs. full size open headphones? I don't know but I personally find IEM's sound so very different to full size cans. They will never have the same sound signature.

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 34
First of all, after spending countless hours avoiding work reading this site (and attending/exhibiting at can jam '08) this is my first post.

Just wanted to relay the experience I had with the CK7s that I just got last week. Of any canal phone/IEM I have listened to, I have never listened to anything where the sound quality varies so profoundly based on seal/tip used. In my experience, the tips that come with the CK7s are horrible.

After burning the CK7s in with pink noise for about 10 hours, I was worried about how shrill the highs were, how the vocals had sort of this dreamy wash over them, and how the bass was virtually non-existent. They were really fatiguing and sounded almost on par with generic drugstore/airplane ear buds. I was using the largest silicone tips that come with the CK7s because I thought I was getting a decent seal, and I had used the largest sized tips with my previous canal phones (akg k324p) and anything else I had ever demoed. So I decided to try the medium tips instead, and dear lord it was a night and day difference in sound quality. All the positive things everything says about the CK7s just started to bloom; the sound became big, neutral and detailed, the treble began to sparkle (and was no longer fatiguing), huge, but tight, bass appeared out of nowhere, and the imaging was really impressive for an in ear headphone.

Then this morning I was getting a little frustrated with the medium tips because while I was able to get a seal, as I have big ears it would often slip if I was walking around, so I decided to tip swap with the large k324 tips I had. With the k324 tips the sound I got was appreciably better, which didn't make a lot of sense as they appeared to be an identical size to the large CK7 tips (maybe *slightly* thicker silicone, but that's it), so just to experiment I switched back the large CK7 tips, and sure enough the sound went back to being shrill and anemic. So if you get a pair of CK7s, I seriously recommend tip swapping and trying different sizes until you get a perfect fit, because once you get a good seal, these things sound so much incredibly better. Also, I can't understand with the shape of the titanium casings how anyone could get a good fit without wearing them over the ears.

I have been driving them with a tomahawk and using a 50 ohm impedance adapter and they just sound absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't be happier.

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait are you really asking this? IEM vs. full size open headphones? I don't know but I personally find IEM's sound so very different to full size cans. They will never have the same sound signature.

i didnt ask if they had the same sound signature now did i?

does anyone know how much bass the ck7 has compared to the 555? i find that i really enjoy the 555's signature and im trying to find canalphones that have at least a somewhat similar sound signature (at the very least in terms of bass quantity)

May 11, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 34
I love the Ck7s. They sound very good, look good & built like a tank. My little titanium gem. I have 2 of them. These are one of the very few IEMS that you would want to keep in your arsenal even though you might upgrade. For the below the $100 mark these canalphones are the best outta the bunch in my opinion. Almost all the others have their faults (not to say the ck7s are perfect but they pretty damn good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back