[Review] Audio Technica Ad2000
Jun 14, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #16 of 32
In my experience, amps with more than 1W @ 32 ohms can make them distort.
So these headphones are super sensitive. However the Dynalo+ works ok with them, which I think is rated slightly higher than 1W.
The E.C. Super 7 with 1.1W makes them distort a bit.
A dynahi (~6W?) will probably damage the drivers if you leave it on for too long.

I would call them fun headphones, that tend to capture the upper harmonics of electric guitar better than any others I've heard.
This is a region that electric guitarists specifically tune as they develop their sound, so it can help reveal an electric guitarist's musicianship and tone.

I mostly use the headphones for direct-from-ipod listening to breakbeat music, since you can easily dance with them on your head, and the chord is long enough not to worry about them getting pulled from your head.
Metal bands like Tool are incredible, but anything with electric guitar seems to have an added dimension.

Nice review :wink:

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 32

do you think AD2000X is better than HD650 and SRH1840?
Some people have mentioned that AD2000X sounds better... is that true?

AD2000X treble are not roll off instead HD650 are(1840 highs are ok). THD is lower than HD650 and SRH1840(please check innerfidelity's result of measurement) I think AD2000X are much better.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #19 of 32
  Googled ad2000 and found this thread. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for reading!

funky 'phone fans of the world united. excellent review Keanex.

what i really like about the AD2000 is it's speed and effortless presentation, and how it emphasizes the subtle dynamic shifts and polyrhythms within a tune. i hear a better sense of musicians playing together and off one another. notes and voices hang together better. clean and groovy.    

Thanks! I agree with your assessment. I love how musical they are!

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 32

do you think AD2000X is better than HD650 and SRH1840?
Some people have mentioned that AD2000X sounds better... is that true?

I prefer the sound of the Ad2000 over the HD650 and the Ad2000x. I will be doing a full comparison with the Ad2000x soon as well as with the HD600.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #23 of 32
The Ad2000 adds a soft and warm tone through the midrange that gives a sultry tone to vocals

Tested 2000X with a portable and found mids to be RESONANT. The hell? They cost $1000 at the time and resonate like cheap-ass plastic piece a sith! Since then I consider HI-END segment even more of a hype.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #24 of 32
Great review, @keanex! It's like you wrote it for me personally. I'm considering a pair of AD2ks, and you addressed my exact concerns using the exact kind of music that I'd be listening to!

I already have a Stax system for ultimate precision and subwoofer-like subbass, but I've been wanting something warm and colored for a non-fatiguing change of pace sometimes. Something like the Sennheiser MX985 but in headphone form. That pretty much means something with dynamic drivers, but finding dynamic drivers I can tolerate is difficult. I've tried an HD650 and I like the general idea of them, but ultimately found them unlistenable due to the absolutely massive low end slowness and distortion. I own a Q701 that's pretty decent but I have much, much better stuff already for sounding neutral. I haven't tried a Fidelio X2 or AD2k yet.

With the X2 I'm worried about too much bass emphasis (and treble peakiness) being fatiguing, and I don't like recessed mids. I sold my DT880s due to their recessed mids, even though their mid quality was amazing. The AD2k I'm worried about having too little bass overall. If the AD2k is sort of like a K7xx except faster, warmer, and more intimate, I think I'll be able to live with the lack of low end impact. I've heard several people say they love the AD2k for EDM, so it can't be too bad there :)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 32
Great review, @keanex! It's like you wrote it for me personally. I'm considering a pair of AD2ks, and you addressed my exact concerns using the exact kind of music that I'd be listening to!

I already have a Stax system for ultimate precision and subwoofer-like subbass, but I've been wanting something warm and colored for a non-fatiguing change of pace sometimes. Something like the Sennheiser MX985 but in headphone form. That pretty much means something with dynamic drivers, but finding dynamic drivers I can tolerate is difficult. I've tried an HD650 and I like the general idea of them, but ultimately found them unlistenable due to the absolutely massive low end slowness and distortion. I own a Q701 that's pretty decent but I have much, much better stuff already for sounding neutral. I haven't tried a Fidelio X2 or AD2k yet.

With the X2 I'm worried about too much bass emphasis (and treble peakiness) being fatiguing, and I don't like recessed mids. I sold my DT880s due to their recessed mids, even though their mid quality was amazing. The AD2k I'm worried about having too little bass overall. If the AD2k is sort of like a K7xx except faster, warmer, and more intimate, I think I'll be able to live with the lack of low end impact. I've heard several people say they love the AD2k for EDM, so it can't be too bad there :)

I'm not too sure if AD2000 is for you. AD2000 is cold, dry and fatiguing (not to me, i'm a treble-head). despite that I do like AD2000 the most in comparison to W5000, AD2000x and Sennheisers.

I share sentiments with people who like AD2000 for EDM and metal cause it has a lot of bite (raw and sharp upper mid, lower treble).

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #26 of 32
AD2000x isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. AD2000x is a very strange or special headphone, I think AD2000X is trying to emulated 3 way speakers which Japanese are crazy over (like Diatone DS-1000, Yamaha ns1000 or ns2000). the highs are very detailed, clean, dry and clear like metal tweeters. the mid not sharp thus making singer sound warm and gentle but strangely details and clarity is maintained. lower mid and bass is very, very wet, the decay is very elongated like those large woofers. I feel that AD2000X is the best for slow emotional female song in comparison to W5000, AD2000 and Sennheisers. That aside AD2000X is very limited in genre.

Edit (08/01/18): I like to add, so far all my visitors (only family and friends) who auditioned my headphones like AD2000X the most. Some of them are not even impressed with AD2000 and or W5000 (I have a feeling some of them might dislike AD2000 or W5000, but them knowing how much I like them didn't show it as they didn't want to hurt my feeling). The day before, my friend who visited me was so impressed that he asked me to sell it to him and he didn't care about the price (I did brag to him saying "this is my collection of SGD$1000 headphone"). being a friend I did sell it to him cheaply. Even Though I like AD2000 the most, so far everyone else in my circle think AD2000X is better. LOL, now no one in my circle can think the AD2000X better anymore (no longer there for them to try).

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 32
I'm not too sure if AD2000 is for you.

I think your reasoning behind that idea is sound, generally, but I've often ended up loving headphones that I "shouldn't have." Maybe I'm getting old, but I actually prefer a lighter touch on the bass these days, as long as it's flat down to 20hz. I haven't gotten rid of the sub in my truck, for example, but I do have the gain turned down more than I used to like :D

Turns out I won't find out if I like the AD2k this cycle, I ended up spending my budget on a Stax 407, but I'll be returning to this idea in time!

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #29 of 32
Turns out I won't find out if I like the AD2k this cycle, I ended up spending my budget on a Stax 407, but I'll be returning to this idea in time!

stax is a wise choice unless you can try/hear the audio-technica yourself. audio-technica have very heavy/strange colouring, so there is a chance that it goes either way (love or hate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back