REVIEW: ATH AD900
Oct 3, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone comment the ATH-AD900 compared to Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro?
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT990 blow them out of the water in terms of bass, they have punch and authority. Although the DT990's I've acquired recently seem to be a lot more sibilant than the AD900's I used to own. The AD900, I felt had a lot better mids and a more wider soundstage, the DT990's feel a bit more narrower in comparison.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #18 of 26
sorry guys, i am reviving an old thread. as i just recently bought an AD900 and would like some feedback and thoughts. 

i already have a pair of AD700, and as you can probably guess, is why i bought another AD900. don't get me wrong the AD700 is great, and i love it very much, and with a few db of bump on the 30/60hz frequency, the cans are perfect. but i told myself i wanted a pair of headphone like the AD700 but with more complete low end response without having to bump the eq up a few db. 

so i just got the AD900 in the mail today. right out of the box, so far, like the review said, it sounds VERY shrill, and siblian, and A LOT of treble. the Bass so far sounds about the same as the AD700. but i am running the canns through a burn-in program found on this site: http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

i am hoping that it'll bring out the bass and even out the shrillness on the high end. because if not, i really am going to return this headphone and get my money back. 

i guess i am asking is... will burn-in really warm up the phones? and if so, how much. 

looking at the frequency response curve data on both phones, it's obvious that the AD900 is about 10db higher on the 30hz and 5db higher on the 60hz. with that said i like the sound of AD700 when i bump the eq up 10db for 30hz, and 5db for 60hz, and like it a lot. i was really hoping that the actual AD900 will sound like it, but so far right out of the box it hasn't blown me away yet. 

someone convince me not to return it. 
confused_face.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #19 of 26
btw the frequency response curve data was gathered from headphone.com

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #20 of 26
I'm thinking about buying the AD900...

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
sorry guys, i am reviving an old thread. as i just recently bought an AD900 and would like some feedback and thoughts. 

i already have a pair of AD700, and as you can probably guess, is why i bought another AD900. don't get me wrong the AD700 is great, and i love it very much, and with a few db of bump on the 30/60hz frequency, the cans are perfect. but i told myself i wanted a pair of headphone like the AD700 but with more complete low end response without having to bump the eq up a few db. 

so i just got the AD900 in the mail today. right out of the box, so far, like the review said, it sounds VERY shrill, and siblian, and A LOT of treble. the Bass so far sounds about the same as the AD700. but i am running the canns through a burn-in program found on this site: http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

i am hoping that it'll bring out the bass and even out the shrillness on the high end. because if not, i really am going to return this headphone and get my money back. 

i guess i am asking is... will burn-in really warm up the phones? and if so, how much. 

looking at the frequency response curve data on both phones, it's obvious that the AD900 is about 10db higher on the 30hz and 5db higher on the 60hz. with that said i like the sound of AD700 when i bump the eq up 10db for 30hz, and 5db for 60hz, and like it a lot. i was really hoping that the actual AD900 will sound like it, but so far right out of the box it hasn't blown me away yet. 

someone convince me not to return it. 
confused_face.gif

Did you try a burn-in? Did it help warm up the cans? I'm interested in the 900s

May 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Did you try a burn-in? Did it help warm up the cans? I'm interested in the 900s

no it didn't. meaning it didn't help after 100 hours of burn-in. i ended up returning it and got the HD598. now that the new AD900x model is out, i am getting the itch to give THAT a try. 

i don't know if it's because the particular phone i got that's faulty? or that the drivers were hitting my ear, but i still found the bass to be more shy than AD700. i even took it to my friend's recording studio and tried it there, and he took agreed that the bass is way more shy on my AD900 than my AD700, and way more colored towards the bright side. 

now i am hearing that the AD900X is more smooth and better bass response and less sibilan, i am really itching, but torn at the same time. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #23 of 26
ok guys.. reviving the old thread yet again. 

after being out of the audio action for months, due to an additional family member in the house, i packed up my lightly used AD700 + Fiio E17 (both for office casual use), and shipped it to amazon warehouse to be sold. and guess what, i took the risk and ordered a AD900X. all the reviews on the site convinced, at least theoretically at this point, that AD900x is a much smoother, less sibilant, more bass phone. 

we shall find out in a few days... fingers crossed, hope i didn't make a mistake by giving it another shot with the new generation. the old AD900 was a real let down. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #24 of 26
Exciting!

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #25 of 26
just got the AD900X... :) will be doing some in depth testing the next couple days. but so far right out of the box it does seem more promising than the AD900. :)

stay tuned. :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #26 of 26
see my review "From AD900 to AD900X" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back