Review: A Jewel for the Price: Audio-Technica TAD400
Feb 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

killkli

100+ Head-Fier
Last year, Audio-Technica had released several new products (as they always does.)
However, most people had their eyes only on the top lines such as W3000ANV, ck100 pro, etc.
But there are some great jewels among the new line TAD series.
I come across one, TAD400.
Put it simply, it's the M50 in open back design! 
The price is great, one can grab TAD400 for around $50 dollars, even at $70 here in Taiwan, I'd say it's a steal!

TAD400 in easy to drive, efficient, and doesn't require your source to be great to sound decent.

I put it with all my portable players, including smart phone. It works great.
It has decent flat main frequency response, good amount of bass for a open back design, and still retained ATH's famous treble flavor.
Also, it's very light weighted, which makes it very very comfortable to wear.

I did some measure test for it after I listened to it for a while.

These test were done with RME babyface and a pair of binaural microphone in my ear.

First of all, frequency response:

size]

Very flat from 100Hz to 2kHz, which is great!
Bass doesn't roll-off until 60Hz, very good!

Second, CSD plot:
size]

size]

Please note that the floor is -50dB & -45dB. There are some ringing but most under -35dB.
Generally it's quite fast and clean!

Burst Decay:
size]

The treble has longer decay periods, which could be the source for the famous "ATH flavor."
Otherwise, all frequency decays very decently.

THD, across frequencies:
size]

It's quite good! The harmonics are well controlled. Low distortion after 100Hz, flavored treble harmonics.
Most harmonic is 2nd order, while higher order harmonics are very low.
It's really great!!

Well..... for $70 (which is the price I paid for it here in Taiwan,) TAD400 is simply a WONDER!

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 10
Subscribed....
popcorn.gif

I tried M50 once and rather though I like the bass and the smooth sound (it's much smoother than my SJ33, which understandable), I found the (slightly) recessed mid/vocal really bothersome (I'm kind of forward-vocal kind of guy).

How the sound-stage (or head-stage, or whatever you like to call it) and mid/vocal? I like my ATH SJ33 vocal, which forward. Not in-your-face like Grado, but forward enough for my taste.

Anyway, it's about $80 here in my country.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Subscribed....
popcorn.gif

I tried M50 once and rather though I like the bass and the smooth sound (it's much smoother than my SJ33, which understandable), I found the (slightly) recessed mid/vocal really bothersome (I'm kind of forward-vocal kind of guy).

How the sound-stage (or head-stage, or whatever you like to call it) and mid/vocal? I like my ATH SJ33 vocal, which forward. Not in-your-face like Grado, but forward enough for my taste.

Anyway, it's about $80 here in my country.

It's open back design. So the headstage is more spacious than closed design such as m50 or sj series.
The vocal presentation is quite forward. Most of the vocal sounds are positioned in the center of the sound imagination.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 10
I picked up the ATH_TAD500's and I really enjoy it for the sound stage and clarity of it. But I do find it lacking bass compared to the my M50's. I tried running it straight from my Ipod, Cowon A3, and HTC Desire but found the sound a little less dynamic than what I am used to. Running it with my Fiio E11 or E7/E9 brings out the sound and also the bass. I might check out the TAD400's if it is easier to drive and can't go wrong for that price. I got my TAD500's for around 2600 NT at the computer market in Taipei when they first came out.

May 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 10
I will be ordering these cans today and since i don't see much info on them, i will share my feedback on these. it seems that they are mostly sold in japan.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Could somebody tell me how do they perform with classical music?

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi, I'm planning to buy these, anyone can share their impressions? I'm looking for comfortable headphones, with at least decent bass - will they have deeper bass than cheap closed headphones?

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi, I'm planning to buy these, anyone can share their impressions? I'm looking for comfortable headphones, with at least decent bass - will they have deeper bass than cheap closed headphones?
I don't have or ever tried the TAD series, but do own 2 open backed, (Sony MA100 and Grado SR60e) and one closed M40x. I say from my experience of owning these I never really hope for more and or deeper bass when I only own the MA, with its laid back calming sound, but the Grado really did manage to open my eyes that bass can be a lot deeper for an open. I say if you want the best SQ for the buck, go to grado and bend the headband to suit your head size. Sony MA series still hasn't been beaten for comfort though... With its light but durable design. Heck the 100 is as cheap as $20 to buy... I say its a good headset for a first entry to open backed headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back