Reverse bowl pad users UNITE!
Jun 1, 2005 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
I don't hear a lot of reviews or comments, but I KNOW y'all are out there!

I recently got some SR-125s and I decided to forego the headache of paying out the nose for flats and just do reverse bowls. So far my only complaint is that the highs are a little boring.

I've heard flats ONCE on some RS-1's, and it was GOOOOOOOOD, but never on any other headphones. Before I bought my 125s I stopped by my local dealer and did some auditioning of the pads they had in stock, and reverse bowls was definitely the winner, but I've never had flats on hand to A/B with.

I've looked through a few pad reviews and I don't see any love for the lowly reverse bowl! Anybody done a comparison of reverse bowls to flats/comfies/etc.?

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 7
took a long time but my bowls (and ears) have broken in completely. Now I can wear them for hours with no pain. reverse was more comfey, but it didnt seem to fit right on the headphone can....

no pain no gain
Garrett

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Before I bought the flats I tried reversing the bowls on my 225s. To my ears they seem to lose some of the strengths of the bowls (treble energy, soundstage) without gaining all of the benefits of the flats (tame highs, deeper bass).

The reversed bowls did tame the highs a little but appeared to sacrifice some soundstage and didn't add the fullness to the bass that the flats provide. They were a little more comfortable in general than the bowls but I find the flats more comfortable still.

The one thing I did like about them is that they seem to provide a better balance of high/mid/low where the bowls seem to favor the highs and the flats the bass.

Just my $0.02, also this was while the 225s were still burning in so my impressions may change now that they have hit around 100 hours.

Ant

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 7
IMHO someone needs to make an in-between style. Like a taller flat, although Ive found my bowls have flattened out with use. Mine are noticeably more squished now and the soundstage has collapsed a little, giving more bass and mids.

I wonder how much of the Grado "burn in" is really just the pads flattening out?

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Hmm...now that you mention it, my bowls do seem a little more flattened. That's an interesting question though, I'd bet it makes some kind of a difference.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Sorry....I'm a member of Team Modded Senn Pad
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back