Revelation: Chris Whitley is incredible
Mar 7, 2004 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I am listening to his new CD -- Hotel Vast Horizon, and it is just awesome. The guy is such a good songwriter and player. Dirt Floor is also incredible...he is really diverse, coming from a sort of rock infused with country to blues, electronic aspects in some stuff...none of it really categorizable...just brilliant. The recording quality is great as well.

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Hotel Vast Horizon got raves in the British press (I get a bunch of the superior UK music mags), but IIRC it never got released in the U.S. Stuart, are you in the UK? I've been meaning to check him out for ages. he's got an SACD (Perfect Day I think?), but it's usually $25 which is a bit of a risk for me for someone I've never heard. Have you heard that one?

Mar 7, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 7
I got it at Borders, so it is definitely out here...I saw that Perfect day was there too -- it said it was a hybrid SACD. I have not heard Rocket House, so I cannot really say. all I have is Dirt Floor, Living with the Law and the Long Way Around. The Long Way Around is an anthology, so it only has one song from rocket house -- Say Goodbye. It is a good song. A bunch of the tracks on the Long Way Around are HDCD as well...though the first 5 are not. Hmm. But I am in California, not the UK, so it is definitely available here.

Mar 8, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Revelation: Chris Whitley is incredible

True story! Dirt Floor and Hotel Vast Horizon are my fav CW albums. I have a tour-album called "weed" that is amazing as well, but not as good a recording. You should really try to see him in concert. Last time saw him he played a 1h45 solo set with a few dozen songs, absolutely mesmerising.

Mar 8, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, I would like to see him....Kelly Joe Phelps is going to be in Santa Barbara and Santa Monica on the 19th and 20th, so I will get to see him at least. Hopefully Whitley will make it here at some point. I picked up Hotel Vast Horizon on your rec -- you certainly are my musical doppelganger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back