Revealing Sources - Volume Level
Sep 8, 2004 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I have noticed that the more revealing my system is, the more I seem to notice volume differences between different songs on the same CD. I've also noticed a particular impact in this regard in terms of how revealing my source (i.e., CD player or DAC) might be. I suppose it is not surprising that a more revealing source would be more revealing of the differences in the soundstaging on various songs on the same CD. Sometimes I suppose one song is recorded in a different setting or studio than another recording, and sometimes the instruments are placed or miked differently. But I have been really surprised as my source has gotten more revealing at the fairly obvious differences in volume on a particular CD. Not all CD's seem to exhibit this, but I would say that one out of every two or three I have evidence this phenomenon. It's almost like you need to change the volume a few times while listening to the same CD. If you set it on a pleasing volume for the first song on an CD, I often find that say the fourth song is just a little too loud. And it's not harsh or a poor recording; it's just louder. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this also, and is it fairly common on many CD's. Or am I losing my mind?
confused.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Many modern CDs are mastered at a higher average volume level than many older CDs. This isn't a problem in terms of fidelity, unless/until compression is used which boosts low-level info into a higher relative volume level than it was recorded relative to the peaks of volume. The dynamic range of these CDs is not as high as older ones.

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Phils, while it's not terribly common, sometimes artists will record an album in many different sessions at many different studios. The mixing on all of these songs isn't identical, and in a high fidelity rig, are audibly different. Volume differences are a possible artifact of a less-than-perfect mixing process.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
I suppose it is not surprising that a more revealing source would be more revealing of the differences in the soundstaging on various songs on the same CD.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this also, and is it fairly common on many CD's. Or am I losing my mind?
confused.gif

You're not losing you're mind. This is common on revealing systems. Every CD/record/recording/song is like a fingerprint-unique. Although I don't consider Arcam's Diva series to be revealing;I have a CD73T. I consider it to be warm, especially before swapping powercords. My preamp/amp/speakers are verifiably, unabashedly revealing but that's my burden.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 11
I have to disagree about the compression not being a problem.

More and more (if not all) cd's (pop/rock) have become badly mastered.
Way to load, the compression/limiting screws up the dynamics and sonics.
Almost all the new stuff sounds horrible if you play them louder.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto
I have to disagree about the compression not being a problem.

More and more (if not all) cd's (pop/rock) have become badly mastered.
Way to load, the compression/limiting screws up the dynamics and sonics.
Almost all the new stuff sounds horrible if you play them louder.

It gets even harder if you turn plain old radio on.Those fools add compression to already overcompressed recordings.
confused.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Although I don't consider Arcam's Diva series to be revealing;I have a CD73T. I consider it to be warm, especially before swapping powercords. My preamp/amp/speakers are verifiably, unabashedly revealing but that's my burden.
wink.gif

Yes, it's not the Arcam itself that is so revealing, but the Supra amp along with the Bel Canto DAC. As I said, I don't find it harsh, but everything that is on the CD is heard, and that is why I think the volume differences between songs and CD's is more noticeable than before.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 11
My hypothesis is simple: with higher end HI-FI equipment, I simply turn down the volume but with lower end HI-FI equipment, I must turn up the volume considerably in the name of enjoying the music.
cool.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
My hypothesis is simple: with higher end HI-FI equipment, I simply turn down the volume but with lower end HI-FI equipment, I must turn up the volume considerably in the name of enjoying the music.
cool.gif

That's weird.
What "higher end HI-FI equipment" are we talking about?
If I had to make a sweeping generalization, I'd say the reverse to be more true.
Incidently, I've found each and every recording has it's own optimal volume level, which is more about the playback equipment than the recording.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 11
[guess]Lower-end hi-fi equipment seems to be less resolving of detail at lower levels than higher-end equipment so if you're a person who enjoys a lot of details you need to crank it up to hear them all on lower-end equipment.[/guess]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back