Returning UM2's, re-discovered my E4's
Nov 12, 2005 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, after about 2 weeks of trying the UM2's the only word I can use to describe them is 'Harsh'. For some reason, which I noticed after everytime of wearing, I now have a continuous ringing in my ears. This would normally be called Tinnitus. I am not a loud listener (12 was the highest setting for the volume on my X5) and I am not a bass junkie (that was turned down on the EQ as much as possible).

I tried my E4's again last night and realized how much warmer and controlled the sound is on them compared to the UM2's. The UM2's never get the individual sounds right and sometimes they crash together making, well, just noise. This is what caused my ringing, I know that now. Its the type of ringing you get when you wake up the next morning from a concert or when you have a high fever (if any of you get that).

I tried every tip on the UM2's and found that the Shure clear flex was the most optimal getting mids and highs relatively close to the E4's. However, it just wasnt there. I listened to the same reference material again with the E4's that I was listening to the UM2's with for the past 2 weeks (in a quick 1 hour burst) and felt the E4 matched the UM2 on bass on a lot of the tracks. Its all about the seal for the E4, if you dont have it, you dont get the bass.

I am upset that I may be charged a 15% restocking fee for these to be returned when its an actual hearing loss/comfort reason and not just because I dont like them.

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 8
sorry to hear about that. i myself am most likely going to get e4cs.

and i don't mean to troll or anything, but you shouldn't be upset that you'll be recharged a restocking fee (this applies if you bought your UM2 online). you didn't like the cans, but the vendor you bought it from shouldn't have to foot the bill of returning the cans to the manufacturer for repackaging/etc.

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
sorry to hear about that. i myself am most likely going to get e4cs.

and i don't mean to troll or anything, but you shouldn't be upset that you'll be recharged a restocking fee (this applies if you bought your UM2 online). you didn't like the cans, but the vendor you bought it from shouldn't have to foot the bill of returning the cans to the manufacturer for repackaging/etc.

I understand that. But if the packaging will still look like new, including none of the earbuds being used, whats to repackage?

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Ok, after about 2 weeks of trying the UM2's the only word I can use to describe them is 'Harsh'. For some reason, which I noticed after everytime of wearing, I now have a continuous ringing in my ears. This would normally be called Tinnitus. I am not a loud listener (12 was the highest setting for the volume on my X5) and I am not a bass junkie (that was turned down on the EQ as much as possible).

I tried my E4's again last night and realized how much warmer and controlled the sound is on them compared to the UM2's. The UM2's never get the individual sounds right and sometimes they crash together making, well, just noise. This is what caused my ringing, I know that now. Its the type of ringing you get when you wake up the next morning from a concert or when you have a high fever (if any of you get that).

I tried every tip on the UM2's and found that the Shure clear flex was the most optimal getting mids and highs relatively close to the E4's. However, it just wasnt there. I listened to the same reference material again with the E4's that I was listening to the UM2's with for the past 2 weeks (in a quick 1 hour burst) and felt the E4 matched the UM2 on bass on a lot of the tracks. Its all about the seal for the E4, if you dont have it, you dont get the bass.

I am upset that I may be charged a 15% restocking fee for these to be returned when its an actual hearing loss/comfort reason and not just because I dont like them.

Did you try them with Westone's own yellow tips?
(Made a massive improvement with my UM1, compared to using the Complys)

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding
Did you try them with Westone's own yellow tips?
(Made a massive improvement with my UM1, compared to using the Complys)

I tried them with everything but the complys. I ended up finding the Shure clear plastics sounded the best. So I have a brand new package if anyone wants it for 250. Lemme know.

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I understand that. But if the packaging will still look like new, including none of the earbuds being used, whats to repackage?

even if the packaging wasn't abused, the fact that they were used will force the seller to recondition them and still only be able to sell them as a refurbished product. can you imagine you being a buyer assuming them to be new and upon opening finding them to be used?

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
even if the packaging wasn't abused, the fact that they were used will force the seller to recondition them and still only be able to sell them as a refurbished product. can you imagine you being a buyer assuming them to be new and upon opening finding them to be used?

Guess thats why Im selling them too then. Only had them 10 days.

Nov 12, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I tried them with everything but the complys. I ended up finding the Shure clear plastics sounded the best. So I have a brand new package if anyone wants it for 250. Lemme know.

I'm interested, but I'm trying to get some info on what the UM2 does that the UM1 doesn't before splashing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back