Returning to the hobby
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

garfield97

New Head-Fier
Hello, I used to have a have a setup of FiiO dac/amp and some open backs when I was younger. Now that I have started my career with more disposable income , I am looking to get back into it and have some enjoyable downtime post work.

Looking for advice on entire setup , mainly will be streaming from the desktop using Amazon/Tidal ?

For the headphones the budget is under 1000$ and most of the genre I listen to are a combination of jazz/classical and some rock/blues/vocals. For the dac/amp setup I hope to go under 500$ and pairs well with the headphone. Thank you for any suggestions or advice!

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 6
I use a Topping A30Pro amplifier and D10b balanced DAC. It's simplicity and enough power for anything. The noise floor is total silence, even with IEM's. The Hifiman Arya Stealth are the best headphones I've heard out of the 300 different models I've had a chance to use for the business. Also I'd grab the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 IEM for $24 just so you can hear how great they've gotten. I travel with them and an Apple 3.5mm to USB adapter. If you buy with a credit card that doubles the warranty it's even better (factory is 1 year).

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi there.

For a dac and amp or combination of both, i would read some tests on the web. For about 500 dollars there are brands like Schiit, SMSL or Topping that are very popular.

For the music you listed, i would go for a Hifiman headphone. It depends on if you want to buy new or used. When used too, you could look after Hifiman Arya or even HE1000. Headphones which i think are nice for clasdical, jazz, folk, acoustic. The Sennheiser HD800/800S are also an option.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Hello, I used to have a have a setup of FiiO dac/amp and some open backs when I was younger. Now that I have started my career with more disposable income , I am looking to get back into it and have some enjoyable downtime post work.

Looking for advice on entire setup , mainly will be streaming from the desktop using Amazon/Tidal ?

For the headphones the budget is under 1000$ and most of the genre I listen to are a combination of jazz/classical and some rock/blues/vocals. For the dac/amp setup I hope to go under 500$ and pairs well with the headphone. Thank you for any suggestions or advice!
Well if you are in NYC I would suggest going to CanJam NYC on March 9 and 10 . $40 for both days or $30 for 1. You will get a better idea of what’s out there now plus it is a really great time .

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 6

Find a used set of Hifiman Arya/Ananda Nano/XS in good shape and a Topping DX5/3. There's some really good headphones under $1k, especially if you want to go boutique. The ranking list in my sig might help if you don't want to go HiFiMan - SJY comes to mind.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 6
The Astell and Kern CA1000 is an all in one desktop dap with a flip up screen. They make it in a T tube model too. But you can get the original CA version for under 800 used. It also has a lot of power to run high impedance headphones. I really like the black background between songs. It's also portable with a battery pack inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back