Returning TDK WR700 need budget recommendations
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fatbottoms

New Head-Fier
Let me start off by saying, I've not had a lot of quality headphones in my life.

Most of them being cheap inner ear crap that I ended up yanking out inadvertantly, breaking them.

So I tried the wireless route this time and got the TDK WR700 which retail for over 200, but picked up a pair at Fry's for 60 on sale.

I was pleased with the neutral balanced sound and surprisingly, found the on-ear style very comfortable, being able to wear them for several hours without any issues.

The problem was with the auto-power off feature which kept turning the headphones off after just a few minutes without  a signal so you had to get up and power on the transmitter again...extremely annoying.

Also, I play guitar, and the lag is definitely discernable, and the sound will break up at high volume.

So I'm going to return these, and try another pair, but decided to go for wired headphones.

I was in Fry's the other day, and was very surprised by the sound of the
transparent-pixel._V386942464_.gif
Sony MDRZX300.

I didn't think you could get this kind of sound from a 20 headphone.

Originally, I had a budget of around 100, but having listened to the Sony's, I'm considering getting headphones for under 50.

The only decent headphones that I've had are the Koss PortaPro which I loved, and the Monoprice108323.

I would get the Koss again except for the comfort...I remember, my ears hurt after a while and my hair would get snagged.

I would still have the Monoprice 108323, but gave them away as a last second forgotten present for someone.

I was impressed by the bass and it's ability to get extremely loud without breaking up, but ultimately, they were too bass heavy for me, like everything was sorted of muted.

I like my bass, but don't need DJ style hip-hop bass so prominently thumping...I listen to rock, r and b, blues.

Here are some selections I'm considering: 

Sony MDZRX300 - 20

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S  - 30

Superlux HD 681 - 31

Sennheiser HD 419 - 40

Are the Sony's the worst headphones on the list?

transparent-pixel._V386942464_.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Also, I didn't have the Monoprice for very long so they never got broken-in...don't know aobut the breaking-in period.

Does breaking-in headphones really make that much of a difference?

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 4
I recently (yesterday) re-cabled the my WR700 since the transmitter was broken. They sound good, with less sibilance from the wireless ones. I put a female jack in the Right ear cup so that I can attach any cable I want without trouble. I recommend everyone who owns a pair to do so. I have to say I completely removed the wireless circuitry, but it is possible to keep them working both wireless and cabled. Anyone who did the same? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back