Returning Super.fi 5 Pros...q-jays or Sleek SA6?
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Danosaurus

100+ Head-Fier
I have had a pair of UE SF5 Pros for the last week and they're not working for me. I can get a seal but it's not real comfy, I think they're a bit big and I don't care for the memory wire cables. I didn't find the sound that exciting either.

So next I'm trying to decide between the q-jays or SA6. Reviews seem to be pretty good on both. I like the small size of the q-jays, but have read a few comments that say the SA6 has a little bit better sound quality. I had my heart set on a dual armature IEM...does the SA6 single armature really sound better than the q-jays dual?

I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly rock, alternative, 80's new wave, orchestral, new age, and a little blues and jazz.

What I'm really looking for is an IEM with that sonic "wow" factor. My budget is around $250.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 12
Apr 18, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 12
Not that they ain't good, but 'simply better than armature design phones in overall sound'? Doubt it. At least one person who own both SA6 and M5 prefer the SA6.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 12
I considered the M5 but have those comments that some prefer the SA6. Right now I am leaning towards the Sleeks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can anyone give their impressions of the SA6 vs q-jays?

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 12
I owned and loved the M5s, but soon after the SA6s arrived, the Atrios went on the FS forum. No comparison to me, having owned both. Of course, there is the $100 price difference. The Sleeks are the more balanced, sweeter sounding IEMs to me. And the modular thing is fantastic.

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Decided to go with the Sleek SA6, and just got them this morning. First impressions...much easier to fit and get a seal, more comfortable and TINY much smaller than I expected. Sound quality is great though they could use a little more bass. I am using the bass+ and treble+ tubes. They are definitely an upgrade from the Super.fi's both in SQ and comfort. I'm not good with all the audiophile terminology, so let me just say the sleeks sound clearer to me, better detail? Makes the Super.fi's sound kind of muddy or flat if that makes any sense. I love the flexibility of the swiveling cables.

Thanks to Michael at soundearphones for the excellent customer service!

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 12
im getting the sa6 and have a friend who has q-jays...ill report on q-jays vs sa6 when i get my sa6 =D

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im getting the sa6 and have a friend who has q-jays...ill report on q-jays vs sa6 when i get my sa6 =D

I will be curious to hear your impressions, to see if I made the right choice!

May 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a pair of UE SF5 Pros for the last week and they're not working for me. I can get a seal but it's not real comfy, I think they're a bit big and I don't care for the memory wire cables. I didn't find the sound that exciting either.

So next I'm trying to decide between the q-jays or SA6. Reviews seem to be pretty good on both. I like the small size of the q-jays, but have read a few comments that say the SA6 has a little bit better sound quality. I had my heart set on a dual armature IEM...does the SA6 single armature really sound better than the q-jays dual?

I listen to a wide range of music, but mostly rock, alternative, 80's new wave, orchestral, new age, and a little blues and jazz.

What I'm really looking for is an IEM with that sonic "wow" factor. My budget is around $250.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

I have not heard the SF5's, but I just sold a pair of SF 10 Pro's in order to hold on to the SA6's, which are magnificent.

My problem with the UE's is the bulky drivers, poor fit and too little sparkle for me.

The SA6's are really active, energetic & dynamic phones with great imaging for IEM's. I use the treble = and bass +. Even with that bass-preponderant setup, they are much more vibrant than the Super.Fi's.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 12
does anyone have a good comparison of the q-jays and sa6 first hand?

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 12
My small bit of impressions:
SA6 are very detailed, their sound is very "forward" and clear, but not over-brightened and can be harmless for your ears for hours.
q-Jays are very close to them in overall sound quality, but their mids are a bit recessed, so sometimes you need to take some efforts to hear the most of them. Still they offer more "smooth"-sounding bass, without sacrificing it's details and clarity.
Atrios are much more bassy, reminded me of a bass in Denons 700ths, with very pleasant sound, smooth high (a bit recessed) and nice mids. Hovewer they are much less analytical than both q-Jays and SA6, the soundstage is narrow and instruments are blurred. I'd say they are good for those who looks for more "fun" alternative to their Senns CX500, but not to those who looks for more detailed armatures in any way.

I do prefer my q-Jays overall among these 3 models, but I'd say that most people would prefer Sleeks sound-wise and Jays build-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back