Returning Sony MDR-7506, and replacing with Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - Should I?
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DanthePolishman

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I'm posting a second thread about my MDR-7506's I originally decided on and bought. "The thread name is: Introduction and help with first headphones - Sony MDR7506's". You can see all my criteria there, but to sum it up:

1) The flattest response headphones in my budget for sound editing purposes. [$300] (For self-created electronic sounds as well).
2) This wasn't exactly mentioned - but fine detail especially for when monitoring.
3) I originally wanted a portable amp, but now I'm deciding against it, so this means headphones playable by computers and phones.

I went to my local guitar center and talked with them, and they immediately showed me the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros. He told me that they were the most accurate headphones that they have and the most pleasant. That seems a little contradictory as I would think the accurate headphones would bring out all the flaws. Since I had my Sony's with me, I decided to compare them. I played some high-quality electronic music from my laptop, and was impressed. They bass was so much more fulfilling, earcups more comfortable, and it almost sounded like there were actual monitors around me, not some tight and cramped headphones. That being said, I do have a couple of concerns.

1) Me and my brother tested both, and the both of us didn't hear as much detail in the mid's and high's in the 770's. At least they weren't as bad as Beats Pro. Is this because of the lack of burn in time? I've heard that the 770's need 100+ burn in hours to sound good, so naturally I wouldn't expect them to sound the same as Sony's that were burned in for 15 hours, but I'm worried the mid's and high's will never contain the same amount of detail. Can someone attest to this?

2) The lack of detail won't just be affecting the editing, but the monitoring as well. Sure, they're good to listen too, but I'm looking for the flaws. Interestingly, in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfje_yMQPOI&list=FLylkoTgnB9yXuI0pOGoqROA 
you can see the different headphones rappers and studio staff used. Kendrick and the staff used the 7506's, I saw a Sony MDR-V6 twice, Tim Westood using the DT 770's every time, a respected producer in London. 

What do you guys think?
The guy at guitar center said SRH840's would be a step down from the 770's PRO's, but still respectable. I made a quick poll to vote on, too.

Tell me what you think, and if I should make the switch.

Thanks,
Dan

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 13
The thread title says DT880s, but all your questions are about the DT770s?
It would be helpful to know what sources (DAC & amp) your going to be plugging the headphones into?
I would have guessed(?) the SRH840 would at least match the audio detail of the DT770s, DT770 would have more bass.
The guitar center usually has high prices and I'm assuming they make good profit off the Beyerdynamics.
I own 7 Beyerdynamic headphones, but for closed headphones I prefer my Audio Technica ATH-A900X.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 13
MDR-V6 + Fiio E17 is one of my combos. Very flat/analytical and very revealing of noise. Was able to tell the fiio was having slight jitter problems and resolved via WASAPI. I hear the 7506 is even better for editing. DT-990 Pro 250s are fun, comfortable, and have better separation but nowhere near as flat... Though they're not meant to be studio cans.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 13
  The thread title says DT880s, but all your questions are about the DT770s?
It would be helpful to know what sources (DAC & amp) your going to be plugging the headphones into?
I would have guessed(?) the SRH840 would at least match the audio detail of the DT770s, DT770 would have more bass.
The guitar center usually has high prices and I'm assuming they make good profit off the Beyerdynamics.
I own 7 Beyerdynamic headphones, but for closed headphones I prefer my Audio Technica ATH-A900X.

Thanks for the replies! Purple Angel, It's about the DT770's, that's my mistake. The headphone will be plugged into just a mac desktop without an amp and DSLR's with 1/8 headphone jacks. I don't need a converter (I think) since DSLR's are all digital. I'm hoping all my options will be low enough resistance. Honestly, when I listen to the same electronic track with my 7506's and a real setup with subwoofers, the headphones were missing lots of bass, even when plugged into the DT770's. I feel that the DT770's don't add extra bass, they replicate it more accurately and sometimes that means more bass compared to other headphones but not to a real and accurate monitor speaker setup. (Correct my if I'm wrong). I probably won't be buying from guitar center either. Thanks for the ATH-A900X suggestion. 

Trunks159, if you went to my last thread, it would've said over-the ear was a requirement. As well as closed.

Head1, thanks for the vid, I'll definitely take a look at it the DT250. I'm slightly concerned about the bass response on DT250, but it really shouldn't be problem. How does the detail of the DT250's stack up to the DT770s as well as honesty? Just curious. Can I have some other options as well?

Either way, I found an old Marantz SR5200 reciever in the basement from when we used to have a 5.1 setup in our living room. What exactly does it do? I'd love to have it in my room if it can serve as an amp and supports most music file types. Explanation here please. 
dt880smile.png
'

As I said in my first thread, I might keep a 7506 for live sound and another for editing. If that's the case, an open-ear MAY be on the table, but probably not for much more then $200. I definitely will never be buying an on-ear, though. 

Thanks again for the input.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 13
I own a pair of DT770s and love them to death, but I do NOT consider them to be neutral headphones. They definitely have a bit of a hump in the bass respones down around 100Hz or so. It's not huge, but it's there. With some minor EQing you can flatten them out pretty well. If you're just using the output of your laptop you'll never notice as most laptops have little to no output below 100Hz.

The DT660 (closed) and DT880 (open) are much flatter response wise. If you're looking for studio monitoring either are a better choice for accuracy.

Either way, if you're using your laptop for audio, look into a decent low end DAC (NuForce uDAC3, FiiO E07K etc) for much cleaner output.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 13
If you're not running an amp, you may want to get lower impedance cans. The sonys are about 60 ohm (I think) but are really sensitive. Beyer 250s are much harder to drive (properly).

I'd keep both. I love having the MDR-V6 (sealed, flat) and DT990 pro 250 (fully open, colored, comfortable). DT 880 is semi open and likely much more accurate. The senn 598 is a great option and very easy to drive too. They're fully open and very accurate.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 13
My main concern with Sony's and AT's is grain , I had the v6 for 3 years replaced it with a zx700 both of them are horrid , Beyers are much better in terms of detail and grain (Non-Existent) , I love my 770 (250) I consider the detail to be on par with my 650 , of course at the loss of rolled off mids and skewed sub-bass 
The 880 on the other hand with good mastered tracks and a tube can essentially make a killer dynamic setup , I love Beyers :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 13
With regard to the DT250, the guy has also done a video comparing with the DT770. He doesn't go into the sound that might much, except that the DT250 are more honest sounding. By that I presume he means it has the flatter signature ie no colouration on a  particular frequency. He did not say which has more detail between those 2 but he said that the DT250 does pull out more fine detail than the 7506 eg. the sound of a singer's lips can be heard on one recording. OTOH the 250s are slightly harder to drive at 80ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back