Returning my SA6
Jan 7, 2009 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dph

New Head-Fier
After researching and combing through the forum for a good pair of IEM with good bass. I decided to pick up the SA6. Well, it arrived today and after comparing it to my Shure E2 & E4C I have to say these phones are not for me. The SA6 has great highs, mids & mid bass. But I was looking for something that can render the 808 bass drum with respect. Surprisingly the E4C has more bass than the SA6.

I like the E2 but the highs are rolled off. E4C has good highs but lacks mids and could use more bass. If I could combine these two that would be the ideal phones for me. Okay, so the SA6 is going back so what other phones do you recommend?

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After researching and combing through the forum for a good pair of IEM with good bass. I decided to pick up the SA6. Well, it arrived today and after comparing it to my Shure E2 & E4C I have to say these phones are not for me. The SA6 has great highs, mids & mid bass. But I was looking for something that can render the 808 bass drum with respect. Surprisingly the E4C has more bass than the SA6.

I like the E2 but the highs are rolled off. E4C has good highs but lacks mids and could use more bass. If I could combine these two that would be the ideal phones for me. Okay, so the SA6 is going back so what other phones do you recommend?

Did you try the pin hole mod with the bass port?

It's supposed to make a big difference from what I've read.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

No I haven't. I'm not going to since I can to return them.

So I take it you've already sent them back? If you haven't, try it. You would only need a new bass port in case they won't accept the return with a modded bass port. Sorry if I didn't get what you were trying to say, that second sentence is a bit confusing.

Anyways, maybe you can try the Klipsch X10 off Amazon for 200$. They have better bass than the SA6 and I don't recall any problems with mids and highs, but I haven't really read up on them in detail. Check the reviews here on them.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 18
doesnt sleek audio package the sa6 now with the updated bass + port?

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if u do the bassport mod, i dont think they will notice it since the hole will most of less the same size, just better clearance.

not sure that is good to condone that. if returned, great for sleek audio and the next buyer to not suddenly have a modded earphone.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 18
The Klipsch X10 is probably the IEM you want. Or, if you want to spend less the Nuforce NE-7M could be an option. I thought the X10 has great bass, but really needs an amp to sound its best with the highs and mids.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 18
wow, they are pretty bassey to me....i mean with the bass+ tube in it and a small amp they are almost head thumping.

I might want to check out the SuperFi 5 EB. Make sure its the EB version, EB = Extended bass.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesnt sleek audio package the sa6 now with the updated bass + port?

Yes, they do. The age of the pinhole mod may be over.
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 18
This is amazing!
I've had the Shure E4s for 3 years andl istened to them daily for `2 hours. Since two months i got the Sleeks and they have far more bass then I ever got out of the Shures, no matter what I did EQ-ing. In fact, I always added bass and reduced midhighs on my Sony A808 and listen to the sleeks flat, with the neutral bass and treble ports. The Sleeks have far more bass, weight, detail and soundstage. I used both phones with shure olives btw.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they do. The age of the pinhole mod may be over.
tongue.gif

Wrong, on the contrary it is now an absolute must to mod the bass+ port. The new bass+ port is utter turd and has a very disappointing bass, I am not sure what sleek audio was thinking when they released it. dph, let me warn you that you are missing out on a great IEM if you don't do the pinhole mod.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong, on the contrary it is now an absolute must to mod the bass+ port. The new bass+ port is utter turd and has a very disappointing bass, I am not sure what sleek audio was thinking when they released it. dph, let me warn you that you are missing out on a great IEM if you don't do the pinhole mod.

Oh, wow, really? I also have the SA6 and the new bass + port (the one which has some yellow color inside) and was really thinking that this whole pinhole mod stuff was for the older bass + port. Don't you lose any detail / clarity with that mod?

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I stand corrected. I've been meaning to experiment with the new bass+ mods (and a pin
wink.gif
), but as soon as I got my hands on them, my SA6 broke. I'm awaiting the replacement now. I had assumed, though, that a pin through the yellow membrane would yield less favorable results than a pin through rubber -- Is that not the case?

I found the pinhole mod with the original bass+ ports to bring a tremendous improvement. Is the change as positive with the new ports?

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

I had the same experience with the SA6 and sent them back in exchange for the Klipsch Image X10 which turned out to be exactly the sound profile I was looking for. Definitely richer/deeper/fuller bass on the X10s and for me they were a lot more comfortable. Sadly they haven't been used much because I switched from ipod touch to iphone and i find myself using the crap iphone headphones so i can take calls. im thinking i'll just sell the x10s and get something decent with a mic. worth a listen for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back