Returning former member
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

romulus1970

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Apparently I need to post my first post on the forum now in this help section only.
Anyways, I used to be a member here years ago & back then I remember that it was a very useful forum regards advice on DAPS, Cans & IEM's.
So after a long long break from Audio Gear acquisition I relented & ended up starting again πŸ€”πŸ₯³πŸ€”
Several Headphones, IEM's, DAC Dongles & DAPs later I thought I'd checkout the Headfi forum again only to find my really old account no longer worked πŸ˜‚πŸ€”πŸ˜‚
So after registering again with what's probably a different user name I'm hoping the Current Forum is as useful as it used to be in a world now full of paid reviews etc... Hopefully it'll still prove useful πŸ€”πŸ‘

Now time to wade through years & years worth of Audio forum posts πŸ˜‚πŸ‘ As last I was active here I was rocking an Astell & Kern AK70 with Sennheiser IE800's πŸ€”πŸ˜‚πŸ‘Peace out to everone πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ‘

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Oh and the prices have probably doubled.
What's funny is that a lot of the gear that was TOTL when I started here - Senn HD650, AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or 880, depending on what you're listening to) are still out there. The were excellent headphones then, and remain excellent headphones now. If you want to chase the perfect 1%, it's easy to jump to that $1k or $3k price point, but there's still lots of good choices in the $300 range.

Amps have gone to silly pricing, IMO, unless you look for the specific budget stuff. I've got some new gear from Schitt just in and am very happy with it's performance at its price point. I almost wish I'd gone with the smaller one, just to see if it would drive these planars.

As they used to say: Welcome to head-fi! Sorry about your wallet!

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Yeah it's definitely an eye opener as some of the pricing now is beyond head scratching...
Seems the best bang per buck now is definitely in the Chinese brands.
I'm just finding it really difficult to get honest reviews of any Audio products now πŸ˜•πŸ€”πŸ˜•
Everyone's an Influencer instead of a reviewer πŸ€”
Oh well I'll soldier on πŸ€”πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ€”
Thanks all who replied πŸ€”πŸ‘

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 8
What's funny is that a lot of the gear that was TOTL when I started here - Senn HD650, AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or 880, depending on what you're listening to) are still out there. The were excellent headphones then, and remain excellent headphones now. If you want to chase the perfect 1%, it's easy to jump to that $1k or $3k price point, but there's still lots of good choices in the $300 range.

Amps have gone to silly pricing, IMO, unless you look for the specific budget stuff. I've got some new gear from Schitt just in and am very happy with it's performance at its price point. I almost wish I'd gone with the smaller one, just to see if it would drive these planars.

As they used to say: Welcome to head-fi! Sorry about your wallet!
πŸ˜‚ $3k - good one. Most TOTL these days reside at $6K 🀒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back