Who'd have thought they'd lead ya
(Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya
(Back here where we need ya)
Yeah we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back

May 21, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 13
The last time I dipped into the headphone world -it was because my landlady found any SPL that I found involving objectionable. This time -it's because SWMBO'd has a part time teaching job that gets her up early in the morning and I'm a nightowl. Frankly -headphones were a bit unforgiving about record noise and while I enjoy both digi and analog LP-I listen to records about 90% of the time. So-couple of years back I got in on the go fund me for Sweet Vinyl click n pop removers. Last night I tried out listening to LP's thru the Sweet Vinyl processing of LP's and a old set of Senheiser HD-414 - plugged into the headphone outputs of a Benchmark DAC-3 HDR - this works! So -interest is reignited .

May 26, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 13
serman005 nailed it - so
Sony WH-1000-XM3
I went in to BB looking for a headphone extension cable and tried on a set of wireless Sony's (my last set of good headphones had been wired Sony's) - managed to resit buyin 'em (and the Bluetooth transmitter) for almost 24 hours !

May 26, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about
Well the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around
Who'd have thought they'd lead ya
(Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya
(Back here where we need ya)
Yeah we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome Back Kotter, used to love that show as a kid (born in 1968).

May 26, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 13
serman005 nailed it - so
Sony WH-1000-XM3
I went in to BB looking for a headphone extension cable and tried on a set of wireless Sony's (my last set of good headphones had been wired Sony's) - managed to resit buyin 'em (and the Bluetooth transmitter) for almost 24 hours !
That is my current portable headphone. It sounds brilliant when you cut some of the bass bloat out. I use Onkyo HF Player as it has a very nice built in equalizer. Welcome back, it is only money, I say enjoy some of the things in life while you can, life is short, sometimes really short. Just this year a friend of my girlfriend lost her boyfriend. He was only 35, colon cancer. Drink life up everyone, there are no guarantees.

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 13
So here's my latest ;
Wanted to try out LDAC on my Sony WH-1000XM3 - (yes -this is a little wacky) bought a Sony SRT-DN1080 receiver- selected one input for optical in and the LDAC /sound quality selected for Bluetooth transmitter.. 24/96 LPCM comes in from my ADC . The highs seem a little smoother /less spity than when sending aptX HD to the same headphones - again- selected for best sound quality -I get at least twice the range that aptX HD delivers . At $450 the SRT-DN1080 is locally ? the cheapest way to get digi in to LDAC transmission. The folks at BB Magnolia Hi-Fi told me some denon and Marantz recievers (surround units) also had LDAC - but couldn't quit prove this in print/online. ?? The MOST important thing I learned from the Sony manual is the factory reset- given that I have no interest/need for surround souund - lots of steps in setup don't apply-with my well established talents for screwing up anything with a menu -I had to wipe everything I'd done and start over before I got my one input -BT-LDAC-sound quality n paired (BTW- you must select the phone you want to pair with -it won't automatically grab the phones without one extra step to select it). Not a effecient or elegant solution -but it does work and I can now walk around inside our small home and get headphone tunes -basement to second floor (rural area-probably relatively low amount of RF interference).

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 13
Glad you found a way to enjoy your music over wireless. Many newer smartphones have LDAC available so that is what I do. Put music on my LG G7 and stream via LDAC to the XM3.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 13
My particular peculiar "need?" is to be able to listen to my over the top /too many ,etc. LP collection most of my listening time . I have a smart phone that was cheap n obsolete when i bought it a number of years ago and is only used as a means of my customers contacting me for emergency service 24/7 (incentive for careful design n install :). i was just surprised that any means of taking a digi input (preferred simply because I've already got plenty/too much analog line level switching going on) and outputting LDAC is sorta uncommon. 50+ years of recorded music purchasing has left me with about 3K CD's and maybe 2 or 3 times that number of LP's .It is very important that I can honestly answer SWMBO'd too frequent/dangerous inquiry about "how many albums do you have ?" with "I don't know." . Everyone is free to enjoy their music however they can get it -but in all honesty -have been really unimpressed by MP3 for a long time -sorta realize that BT is closer to that than hiRez - but for whatever reason (really old earz?) -I'm accepting the utility of BT/LDAC for my current music listening needs and it doesn't sound bad at all :) .

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 13
Truthfully, well done wireless where the sample rate is over 256, and even good old apt x can do better than this, is audibly transparent to the user when tested with level matched, controlled blind listening tests. What I do is simply put the part of my collection that I am actually listening to on my phone versus all of it. I had hundreds of CDs, maybe a thousand who knows, but only a small portion of them were ever actually, or likely to be listened to. The rest were just artifacts of my past that may be dusted off every decade or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back