returning a700's for dt770's
Feb 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

souperman

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys i've been recently having thoughts about returning my a700's. they are comfortable but i feel like they are just a crappier version of my hd580's (balanced, but has recessed mids, and thus, all in all sounds like a less mature version of the hd580's). i feel like a dt770/80 would add more to my headphone arsenal (ms-1, hd580). what are your feelings on this? i will basically be using the dt770's/a700's for watching movies and when i need isolation for listening to music/movies (as not to disturb my roommates) and i don't game that much so i won't be using them for gaming

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 10
They're comfy, they isolate like mad, and they have a great sound signature for watching movies. I'd say they'd be great for your collection if that's what you are using them for.

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone else agree with me that the a700's won't add much to my ms-1's and the hd580's? or maybe i need more burn-in time?

The a700, apart from the bass, sounds nothing like the hd580. Maybe it has something to do with your source. I also noticed that you connect your dedicated headphone amp to the headphone jack on your speakers. This may be suboptimal; why not just directly plug them into the source?

there is also no guarantee that the dt770 will do better than the a700's. The reason you're not enjoying the a700 could simply be because the sound signature is not for you, in which case the dt770 may not help much either.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 10
Different strokes for different folks. The AT sound is a love or hate it sound. If you feel that the A700 just doesn't meet your sound quality standards and that it won't compliment your other cans, then no sense in keeping them. After 150 hrs of burn in or less there won't be anymore noticeable improvements to make them sound any better.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different strokes for different folks. The AT sound is a love or hate it sound. If you feel that the A700 just doesn't meet your sound quality standards and that it won't compliment your other cans, then no sense in keeping them. After 150 hrs of burn in or less there won't be anymore noticeable improvements to make them sound any better.

QFT

Give them a chance and let the sound sink in. If you don't like it after that then start thinking about replacing them. If the whole short time you have them you're thinking about what to replace them with you'll never appreciate them.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 10
I would suggest Ultrasone... Much better bass extention which makes them excellent for movies but tighter bass than the DT 770 and a better soundstage for movies in particular. Voices tend to come from the front with it´s speaker representation.

Now I don´t know how this holds true but this is from my Proline 750. I had the A900 as well but it just lacked bass extension for me and the DT 770 PRO 80 ohm...

Both these are great headphones but the 750 just totally blow them out of the water. So much better bang for the buck honestly.

DT 770 also have recessed mid range maybe even more then the A700 if it´s like the A900 which the 750 doesn´t got.

I don´t have the 580 so can´t compare it with that. But DT 770 and A900 did complement quite well. In music/movies/games where the DT 770 got to bottom heavy I could run the A900. In music/movies/games where I needed bass I could run the Dt 770...

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The a700, apart from the bass, sounds nothing like the hd580. Maybe it has something to do with your source. I also noticed that you connect your dedicated headphone amp to the headphone jack on your speakers. This may be suboptimal; why not just directly plug them into the source?

there is also no guarantee that the dt770 will do better than the a700's. The reason you're not enjoying the a700 could simply be because the sound signature is not for you, in which case the dt770 may not help much either.

is the a700 supposed to have more bass?

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it has something to do with your source. I also noticed that you connect your dedicated headphone amp to the headphone jack on your speakers. This may be suboptimal; why not just directly plug them into the source?

there is no difference between connecting to the source and my speakers i believe. it just acts like an extension chord i think...i'm not sure though correct me if i'm wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back