Returned UM2 for E500PTH
May 29, 2007 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TurboRotaryFreak

Head-Fier
After listening to music through the UM2s, I have finally decided to send them back. I went ahead and ordered the e500-PTH. For me, it was a $70 change in price. I hear the e500s sound better with the RSA TH.

I loved the way the UM2s sat in my ears and how they isolated the sound by blocking out ambient noise. In the end, I just couldn't stand the bass. For some reason, the UM2s really boomed in my ears and I didn't like this.

Hopefully the E500s will be better.

May 29, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 15
which tips did you use? it matters. i have the shure black foam tips and they sound great with my um2s. no bass bloat really. could be my SR-71 though.

May 29, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which tips did you use? it matters. i have the shure black foam tips and they sound great with my um2s. no bass bloat really. could be my SR-71 though.

I used the standard tips that came with it. Will it really make that big of a difference? I'd like bass, just not as much as I'm getting from the UM2s. It's way bloated. Can the tips really brighten up the music all that much?

Also, aren't the E500s better, anyway? Esp. with the TH?

I like nice crisp sound with good bass, but the UM2s, just overdid it for me the way they were when they came out of the box. Even the TH didn't change the sound much.

As I said the comfort level of these are pretty high. How are the e500s in the comfort area?

May 29, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 15
the 500's are almost as comfortable as the UM2's. The only difference I found was that the cable on the 500 can be a little bit annoying, especially when you first get it. After a while it should soften up. But the UM2 cable is really great in comparison.

As far as sound goes, the 500's are certainly more refined, detailed and balanced than the UM2's. I think that you'll be quite happy with them.

Enjoy.

May 29, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 15
i would personally recommend the er4p>s setup. i had the e500s for more then a year and gave them up for the balanced etymotic. i got tired of the slanted lower end of the freq. that they gave out. to me i felt they produced too dark of a sound for my taste. the er4p give me all the bass response i need without clouding over the rest of the sound freq's

May 29, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 15
Good choice! I might suggest you exercise care with the cables so you get the mileage you need from them. Sadly, the UM2 cables are better than the sound they produce, and the Shure cables requires to avoid twisting.

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 15
It is really amazing how we hear things different. I am quite happy with my UM2's. I don't really hear the bass is bloated although it is deep and tight. I don't know about the e500 but at 250.00 for my UM2's I did not see the point in going higher in price for perhaps a small sound difference. As far as the cables, I hated the e2c cables from Shure, too heavy and annoying. Westone'a on the other hand are light and comfortable.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboRotaryFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for your suggestions

Be sure and update this thread when you get your Shure E500PTH on whether or not you are now satisfied!

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Have to say the tips on the UM2s make a MASSIVE difference. Complys or foamies make the bass really stupid sounding - call it what you will, but it was like being in a damp cave.
The shure foamies however are great. Not quite the sound quality of the soft flexes, not as clinical as the flanges, but warm without being too slushy like the complys. I was positively surprised at the difference the shure tips made.

I find the soft flex has the best sound, but also I can hear a lot of headphone noise - probably from the blood in my ear or because it is a very tight close fit so I hear everything the drivers are putting out.
The tri and biflanges however produce lovely sound, not as good as the soft flex because it is more clinical but most headphone noise disappears.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 15
I'll go with the consensus, bass and detail-wise, I love my 2nd pair of (RMA'd) e500's that I've had for 3 days. If the cables wear out (which has been a problem), Shure will have a new pair in your hot hands in 2-4 days from receiving the worn out pair. Incredible, no hassle, lightning fast customer service, can't beat that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back